I have recently begun to play the bagpipes, and i have a few quick questions....

Is it bad to leave a little air in the bag after you are finished playing? Can i just let the air escape slowly but surely by itself?

Also, What are the first four notes played on Amazing Grace? My book says to play a grace note then an A, followed by a "throw-on-D". But it doesn't sound right if i try to play along with the song.

This is a link to Amazing Grace: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V84STSWVp3g
I'm Scottish, so I'm an expert on bagpipes.

Um.

Can't you work out the notes on a guitar (which I presume you can play)?

As for actual technique, google is your friend, but almost every site has a good page of bullshit followed by instructions about how to enter your card details.
Dude, you have to play like the guy from the wedding in "So I Married an Axe Murderer"!!! That scene is classic...

"Piper Down! I repeat, Piper DOWN!!!" lmao
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
Practise throws on d until you can do them really quickly and cleanly.

Actually, it's probably better to learn the song without grace notes first, then add them in later. That way you know which notes you have to play, and you just have to learn how to get to them properly if that makes any sense.

stratkat
Am Scottish also and ma wife told me a had the Loch Ness Monster underneath ma Kilt

Hey she wisnae wrang ye ken
Last edited by Chanter at Oct 26, 2009,
TS. leaving air in the bag is fine. but remove the chanter and mouth piece when youre done because the hemp will expand from moister and will get stuck.

and the reason it doesnt sound right when you play along is because different bands tune to different Hz. if youre playing along to a real pipe band they tune between 473-478 and if youre playing along with DKM they tune to 440 Bb

also. best bagpiper website. www.bobdunsire.com
Quote by darkcheef
Aren't bag pipes on the inside like sheep stomach

these days... no
Quote by RockinRyan13
these days... no

Oh, I learned it from samurai jack when I was like 10
Quote by RockinRyan13
TS. leaving air in the bag is fine. but remove the chanter and mouth piece when youre done because the hemp will expand from moister and will get stuck.

and the reason it doesnt sound right when you play along is because different bands tune to different Hz. if youre playing along to a real pipe band they tune between 473-478 and if youre playing along with DKM they tune to 440 Bb

also. best bagpiper website. www.bobdunsire.com

"Why remove Chanter laddie as ave done nothing wrang ye ken

Hey i used to stay nxt door to a bagpiper and this lassie was a gd player but hey
i much prefer listening to the bagpipes from a wee distance as they sound so much better say like coming oe'r the hills in the foggy distance they are.
CELTIC - 1st British Club To Win The European Cup In '67. Everyone A Scot. Hail! Hail!