hey, I am almost 15 and have been playing guitar since May. That's about 8 months so I figure am I intermediate or beginner? I have an acoustic electric guitar (garrison) and I've put about 2 1/2 hrs of practice average in practice everyday. I have a line 6 amp, but I am not sure if I should buy the mexican telecaster ? is it not a good guitar ? I play led Zeppelin, sex pistols, green day, the stones, beatles - just about anything that is rock. so could you answer the questions 1 am I beginner or itermediate 2 is the telecaster I want good 3 are there any other accesories I should buy/ not buy. and what amp should I buy If the spider isn't good enough? to elaborate I have been taking lessons at a local music store every week, learned sheet music and all that jazz, I like to play fingerstyle and I am mostly practicing barre chords lately, thanks
Last edited by shoekstra1419 at Oct 26, 2009,
your a beginner.

buy what ever guitar you like or which ever suits you. If your looking for specific opinions on a guitar use the search bar and research it.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
We cannot tell how good you are from how long you have been playing and what you could play, do you have any videos?
get an epiphone les paul anything above the studio is good, and it will sound good, although you may not like the sound of your amp if it's a spider
1) it doesn't matter how long you've been playing or how much you've been practicing. For all we know, for those 8 months at 2 and a half hours a day, you've been trying to master twinkle twinnkle little star.
2) is there a link to a site that has the specific model you're looking at?
3) buy a tube amp when you feel your ear has developed past your line 6 (which I'm guessing is a spider). Don't buy a Line 6 spider, or a Marshall MG. Even though all the reviews about there crushing overdrives and stuff make them seem pretty tempting, just stay away.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
the fact that you think the information you have given us about your playing will be able to properly allow us to judge your skills makes me say beginner
Lol it all depends on how long a day you play, someone could play 10 minutes a day for 2 months and they will be worse than someone who played 2 hours a day for one month.
Quote by dsan224
Lol it all depends on how long a day you play, someone could play 10 minutes a day for 2 months and they will be worse than someone who played 2 hours a day for one month.

Not really, it depends what you practice, if you just noodle for 2 hours a day you wont get far. But if someone practices the essentials for 20 minutes they will of gotten much farther.
Quote by shoekstra1419
is there any pieces/ songs I should practice or any tips ? thanks for the advice

Learn music theory and improvising. Oh and listen to jazz, it's the best for coming up with new ideas
1. beginner
2. dont buy the mexi-tele. get an epiphone les paul or something like that
3. i would get a micro-cube. i think theyre better beginner amps than line 6
nothing is wrong with the tele. I have a mexican one and I love it.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Quote by shoekstra1419
what's wrong with the tele?

people are suggesting a les paul primarily because the artists you have mentioned prefer to use les pauls
Quote by britishsligean
people are suggesting a les paul primarily because the artists you have mentioned prefer to use les pauls

But they all used Teles and Strats too (except the beatles, they didn't play a fender or a les paul)
Quote by darkcheef
But they all used Teles and Strats too (except the beatles, they didn't play a fender or a les paul)

paul mccartney does
Quote by britishsligean
paul mccartney does

I never knew he played one when he was in the beatles
Quote by darkcheef
I never knew he played one when he was in the beatles

it might have been afterwards, also jhn lennon played one but that might be afterwards again
You said you take lessons at a music store? Get a MIM Tele off the wall and use it for a lesson. There's nothing wrong with a Tele but I know at 8 months I hadn't developed enough as a guitarist to make a good choice on a guitar. Talk it over with your teacher .
Quote by shoekstra1419
what's wrong with the tele?

theres nothing wrong with the tele. if you want a jimmy page sound, you go with a les paul
"hey guys Ive been thinking about getting this bright sounding ash guitar."
"NO you want this really warm mahagony one!"

Lol, any way, I would say to upgrade your amp first but if you have an acoustic electric you should get a new guitar. I say just play a lot of guitars. Go to a music store and try as many as you can. try and learn what sounds good to you. If its a tele sweet, a les paul thats nice too. I personally would pick up the tele but its your call dude. And never trust any review thats posted on the manufacturers site.
no sir away a papaya war is on
As far as which guitar to get. My advice would be go for the one that really really makes you want to pick it up and play it. Try some out. Use your ears and your eyes, if you like what you see and you like what you hear (and your can afford it) put your money on the counter.

Thrench.
I dont care how much practicing you do, for playing only since may, you are a beginner. You may be good, you may be able to play some intricite shit but 6 months of playing is a beginner.

I personally dont like tele's but if YOU like it, get it. Get the gear YOU like and don't let UG persuade you otherwise because it all boils down to YOUR preference.
Quote by OnEvOlUmEb!tCh
I dont care how much practicing you do, for playing only since may, you are a beginner. You may be good, you may be able to play some intricite shit but 6 months of playing is a beginner.

I personally dont like tele's but if YOU like it, get it. Get the gear YOU like and don't let UG persuade you otherwise because it all boils down to YOUR preference.

Exactly, Your the one playing it, not us. I did the same thing a month or so back when I was contemplating between a strat and a les paul. I went with the strat due to 1.) the neck feel, the comfort of the body, and most importantly the sound.

UG can help nug you towards a specific guitar, but try before you buy. You may love the sound of a les paul, but completely hate the neck. Def. go to guitar center, try out a bunch of guitars, then get it from your local music shop to keep them going. For an amp, I just picked up a Vox AC4TV, and I love it. I haven't picked up any pedals but the amp alone can vary greatly with sound, just by messing around with tone and volume on both your guitar and amp.