So I've never changed pickups but I think I'm finding a reason to get new ones. I have an Ibanez RG550 and its such a pain in the ass to constantly switch to my middle single coil for a good clean, bell like sound. I'm just wondering if I should replace the bridge humbucker for something more versatile or get this fender JA90 telecaster with custom P-90s. I was thinking about gettin it anyways cuz i love teles. What do you guys think?
Quote by Floodzone004
i love teles.

I think you answered your own question

EDIT: and is it really that hard to flip a switch every now and then? how do you manage struming?
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Last edited by Koshman32 at Oct 26, 2009,
i think if ur satisfied with ur sound, u shouldnt do either. whats so annoying about switching pickups?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
lol, but theres a about a $600 difference between a new pickup and a new guitar. I'm just wondering if itd be worth savin up that much when I can just upgrade my RG.
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
i think if ur satisfied with ur sound, u shouldnt do either. whats so annoying about switching pickups?

Cuz in my band i'm constantly playing and it gets a little frantic when having to mess with pedals and changin the pickups while playing. I'm just trying to make my job as easy as possible
Quote by Floodzone004
lol, but theres a about a $600 difference between a new pickup and a new guitar. I'm just wondering if itd be worth savin up that much when I can just upgrade my RG.

You said it yourself, you love teles. So buy the one you're looking at, keep flipping the little switch on your RG to go to your other pickup when you want to use cleans from it, and be happy. THEN if you're still unhappy with your tone from the RG, switch pickups
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
what dont u like about ur guitar? the fact that one pickup cant do everything? well it cant, no matter what pickup u get. theres a reason guitars have more than one pickup on it.

what about switching is such a pain?

i dont mean to sound like an ass, but wouldnt switching guitars be a little harder than switching pickups? im not quite sure u know what u want, and u shouldnt be looking to replace anything before u know the setup u want.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Last edited by xxunder-takerxx at Oct 26, 2009,
New pick-ups won't drastically change your tone with the amp you currently use. It's a great piece of kit, don't get me wrong, but it's not particularly receptive to pick-up tonalities.

A new amp might be an idea, instead of buying a new guitar.

But if you really like that particularly Fender, there's nothing wrong with treating yourself and going for it.
But I'm personally suggesting a new amplifier or a new guitar. The pick-ups on an RG550 aren't great, granted, but whether it's worth upgrading is debatable.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
New pick-ups won't drastically change your tone with the amp you currently use. It's a great piece of kit, don't get me wrong, but it's not particularly receptive to pick-up tonalities.

A new amp might be an idea, instead of buying a new guitar.

But if you really like that particularly Fender, there's nothing wrong with treating yourself and going for it.
But I'm personally suggesting a new amplifier or a new guitar. The pick-ups on an RG550 aren't great, granted, but whether it's worth upgrading is debatable.

Yeah I think I'm leaning towards the new guitar. I'll just use the RG for heavier playing cuz it works pretty well for that.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
There are 2 kinds of guitarists - those that like Teles, and those that have never played one
D'ya wanna know a secret? We keep Tele's in hardcases because if we didn't, they'd kill the other guitars

GRAB TEH TELE!
NAO!

Jaja telecaster=sex. Go!!! Nao!
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
There are 2 kinds of guitarists - those that like Teles, and those that have never played one
D'ya wanna know a secret? We keep Tele's in hardcases because if we didn't, they'd kill the other guitars

GRAB TEH TELE!
NAO!

Thats quite possibly the greatest thing Ive ever heard.