I have a cab with all different spekers, and different ohms.

I have 2 greenbacks a V 30 and an Eminence governor.

1 of the greenies is cracked. I want to replace it with a warehouse 30.

Maybe eventually will switch to 30's for all 4 speakers.

Anyway the speakers have an 8 and a 16 ohm option.

My head can swith to all the above.

What are the differences between the ohms. Should i run all 4 at 8 ohms? or 16 ohms?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of both?
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Wow.

Lots of stuff here. Let's try to break it down.

First of all, for this exercise there is no real big advantage or disadvantage between 8 and 16 as long as the overall resulting total ohmage of your cab as long as it matches your head.

If you add a 60 watt speaker to replace one of the greenbacks that should be fine. Do you have a 25 watt greenie that needs to be replaced? Are you going with a Greenback clone from WGS?

Can you validate the ohms on each of your speakers?

Can you validate how the cabinet is wired? Series? Parallell? or Series/Parallel?

Can you validate the output of your cab right now with a multimeter? We need to know that.

Maybe you can answer some of that and that will help us.

PS: the variance in speaker ohms is really there to allow flexibility for different wiring schemes and configurations of cabs. Are you happy with the tone of your amp now or do want to change it somehow?

Here is a diagram to get your head thinking...

This is a common configuration for someone wanting a stereo cab.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 28, 2009,
I really dont know how its wired id have to open the back.

I want to replace the green with another v30, eventually all v30 perhaps.

But even v30 have a 8 and 16 option.

What would the sound differences be?

Im into brutal metal, Looking for tone along the likes of Abigail Williams.

The cab reads around 8 lol give or take....my cab is all jacked up...again not sure but i think 1 green is 8, the other is 16, and same for v 30 and emi
Last edited by maddnotez at Oct 27, 2009,
Well the Veteran 30 WGS clone is a good one if you are after a Vintage 30 clone. They work great for metal. You are going to have to open up this cab though to make a buying decision. What do you have the 6505 head set to know for ohms?

Do you even know if that is correct? Get a multimeter.
The heads set at 8 ohm

and the cab reads real close to 8, a little over if I rememeber correct, with a very cheap multimeter.

The warehouse 30's were what I plan to switch to. But they are the same as well 8 ohm or 16ohm, what is going to be the difference, I can set the head to whatever I want.
OK good info. We can assume for now that you are matched head to cab at 8 ohms.

So, when you go to buy the WGS Vet30 just get the same ohms as the one you are replacing.

While you are at it, I'd put the V30s in diagonal and the Greenback and Gov in a diagonal. Me thinks.

V...G
G...V

Even a crappy multimeter will read something close to 4, 8 or 16. Report back man and let us know.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 28, 2009,
k thanks for the help.

The x is how I have them now.

But what I am really after here is, What if I wanted to switch to 16 ohm on my head, and get all 16 ohm v30?

What is going to be the difference between 8 and 16?
Well, first of all I don't think there will be any tone difference between 8 and 16, although some may argue that.

If you use all 16 ohm speakers and run them Series/Parallel like the diagram above then you should end up with 16. If it was wired for Parallel only then I have a different diagram for you.

Does that help?
kind of, what does the different wiring do?
There must be one of these threads started at least once a week. Maybe there should be a sticky on it.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
If you put your speakers in series wiring, like, wire them in line, then if you have 4, 8 ohm speakers, your total ohms is going to be 32 for the speaker cab, which is not what you want.

If you wire your speakers in parallel, say 4, 8 ohm speakers, the your ohms should only be 8 ohms.

If you wire them in series Parallel, then your ohms is going to be 16 ohm using the same speakers.

I believe thats right. I would wire it in series parallel, since it might be easyer.
He won't want Parallel with his current speakers. You're right though, Series won't work unless all the speakers are 4 ohms.

To answer your question on why the different wiring schemes it is basically to accomodate different configurations of speakers. Series wiring is the easiest because it is just point to point one speaker to the next. Problem with that though is if you have a speaker failure or wire becomes loose, then the whole cab is doesn't work. With Parallel wiring, you have built in redundancy. SeriesParallel works well for stereo setups. (Actually, I think it is 2 sets of speakers wired together in Series)

If you go all 16 ohms then you can you do SeriesParallel and have a total of 16 ohms or you can do Parallel and have a total of 4 ohms.

Here is the diagram for Parallel. Compare that to the SeriesParallel I attached yesterday.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 30, 2009,
Maybe someone who knows more about cabs can jump in

If a cab can go from mono to stereo then there is a switch in there that activates/deactivates certain pairs of wires to match up to whatever the resistance would be needed. Right?

Are Stereo cabs run simply 2 speakers (in X or side by side) each in Series?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 29, 2009,
Idk, but this info is getting better thanks guys.

There should be a sticky on this...
Last edited by maddnotez at Oct 30, 2009,
Well thanks for the help, its just so confusing, and I guess I do have 1 more question.

Overall it seems theres not much sound difference between different ohms, its just to acomodate different amps. And the speakers will run (push) the same?

I got Series which will basically add all the ohms together? Thats confusing because it seems unless you have 4 ohm speakers its pointless because that will equal 16 ohm load, idk if they make heads over 16.

Series/Parrallel (stereo) which will keep ohms the same. But what if you have 2 8 ohm speakers and 2 16 ohm speakers and run Series Parrallel, what will it be???
12 ohm??? lol I dont think my head has a setting for that.
Quote by maddnotez
I really dont know how its wired id have to open the back.

I want to replace the green with another v30, eventually all v30 perhaps.

But even v30 have a 8 and 16 option.

What would the sound differences be?

Im into brutal metal, Looking for tone along the likes of Abigail Williams.

The cab reads around 8 lol give or take....my cab is all jacked up...again not sure but i think 1 green is 8, the other is 16, and same for v 30 and emi

V30s are great speakers but I don't care for them for.. brutal metal. I just got a Redstar Audi 212 with Eminence Pro 12 somethings, they have cast frames and they're deep and clear no matter how hard you push them.
Quote by maddnotez
Well thanks for the help, its just so confusing, and I guess I do have 1 more question.

Overall it seems theres not much sound difference between different ohms, its just to acomodate different amps. And the speakers will run (push) the same?

I got Series which will basically add all the ohms together? Thats confusing because it seems unless you have 4 ohm speakers its pointless because that will equal 16 ohm load, idk if they make heads over 16.

Series/Parrallel (stereo) which will keep ohms the same. But what if you have 2 8 ohm speakers and 2 16 ohm speakers and run Series Parrallel, what will it be???
12 ohm??? lol I dont think my head has a setting for that.

Firstly, it has been argued that running your head at it's maximum ohmage with a matched cab sounds better because you are using the full coil on your Output Transformer. To me, this is negligable though.

Generall for a 4x12 they have 2 sets of speakers (both wired in series) which are then wired in parallel with each other. So what you get is say 2 8 Ohm speakers wired in series (which equals 16 ohms) wired in parallel with another 2 8 Ohm speakers wired in series (another 16 ohms). Because these two 16 Ohm groups are wired in parallel (and have the same value as each other; 16 ohms) you will get half the load of one of the groups; i.e 8 Ohms total output. I know it's sort of complicated, but visually:

Key
[0="8 Ohm Speaker      "]
[~ = Series Connector   ]
[x="Parallel Connector "]

0~0   <--16 Ohms }
 X               }Total Output 8 Ohms
0~0   <--16 Ohms }

Generall for a 4x12 they have 2 sets of speakers (both wired in series) which are then wired in parallel with each other. So what you get is say 2 8 Ohm speakers wired in series (which equals 16 ohms) wired in parallel with another 2 8 Ohm speakers wired in series (another 16 ohms). Because these two 16 Ohm groups are wired in parallel (and have the same value as each other; 16 ohms) you will get half the load of one of the groups; i.e 8 Ohms total output. I know it's sort of complicated, but visually:

Actually makes alot of sense thanks.

And ill have to look into the cab the last poster mentioned.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^That was awesome Lee. Thanks for jumping in. I'm saving that.

Cheers man

Glad to help TS.