Okay, So I've been playing bass for about a week now, and I'm noticing that I can't get finger picking (with two fingers for now) good. I pick in this pattern without knowing it,

Index, Index, Index, Middle, Middle, Index, and so on, sometimes changing pattern.

Is there an excercise or something that will get me picking like the proper way (I think it's like this):

Index, Middle, Index, Middle, Index, Middle, etc.

-Thanks!
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Just do chromatic scales really slowly while practicing the pattern. Like do 1234 2345 3456 so on and so forth on eah string.
walk.

your right hand needs to walk. otherwise, the slight derivation most bass players have between their index and middle tonally will not only be harder to mask through practiced technique, but it will give whatever song you need bizarre polyrhythms.

imagine your right hand is a little man walking across the strings like a treadmill- no, on a bicycle, because he's pushing. like little pistons.

little analogies helped me when I was starting. they help me now, even.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
so....I make it go up and down the strings near the strumming area?
You can steer yourself,
You're on your own,

- Dr. Seuss
Quote by the humanity

imagine your right hand is a little man walking across the strings like a treadmill- no, on a bicycle, because he's pushing. like little pistons.

+3

Excellent advice.
Do this on every surface you walk past.

Also, practice practice practice.
+1 to everything said

also, when you practice, use a metronome to get your "finger timing" down. It'll help you learn to keep your fingers alternating in a steady rhythm
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Okay, thanks guys
You can steer yourself,
You're on your own,

- Dr. Seuss
Don't worry, it happens with everyone when they learn. It goes away after a while. Just continue practicing man. Start slow.
practice practice practice.
takes a while to learn something new.
it also took me a while to learn fingerpicking, but practice is best, its long, but worth it.
I used to practice galloping with 3 fingers on my chin when i had nothing else to do. Practice.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER