Soooo, im really indecisive and still havent bought my amp

Tone I'm looking for should be able to cover a warm, clear bottom end and a growling mid range, not really looking for fuzzy sound

Ideal for playing modern rock, hard rock, and metal (bands in the vein of Shinedown, Seether, 10 Years)

Influences: Ryan Martinie, Flea, Justin Chancellor, Matt Freeman, Josh Smith, Leon Wilkeson

My bass is a warwick fortress rockbass with active p/j pickups

Here are my current choices:

1)Ashdown Mag 300 Evo 2 ($380 new)
Markbass 2x10 400 travellor 8ohms ($400 used)
Ashdown mag 4x10 450 watt 8 ohms ($300 new)

$1080+$100ish shipping for 300w @4ohms

Heard great things about markbass, worried a little bit that it won't sound good with the ashdown though. The lightweight nature of the cab would be very helpful though for carrying to band practice

2)Ashdown Mag 300 Evo 2 ($380 new)
Ashdown 410 450 8 ohms ($300 new)
Ashdown 410 450 8 ohms($300 new)

$980+$100ish shipping for 300w @4ohms

Cheap and no fancy stuff, same company so little risk, should offer lots of clarity with two 410s but might lose the low end?

3)Trace Elliot AH300 SMC ($300 used)
Trace Elliot 1x15 300w 8 ohms ($300 used)
Trace Elliot 4x10 300w 8 ohms (#300 used)

$900 for 300w@4ohms

Local pickup found on craigslist, so no shipping needed. I've heard great things about trace elliot but im worried they might not fit the tone i want?(too funky?)

4)Warwick Profret 3.2 300w 8 ohms ($400 new)
Warwick 115 Pro 300w 8 ohms ($400 new)
Warwick 4x10 pro 300w 8 ohms ($450? new)

$1250+$100ish shipping for 300w @4ohms

Warwick makes good stuff for sure, I just don't have much experience with their amps plus its pricey

5)Peavey Tour 450 ($400 new)
Markbass 2x10 traveler 400w 8ohms ($400 used)
Peavey Tour 115 400w 8 ohms ($450 new)

$1250+$100ish shipping for 400w @4ohms

Most powerful stack listed, and light markbass and durability of peavey would make it very easy to transport, although expensive and I'm concerned about the tone

If you have any input please don't hesitate to respond, thanks for any help!
Last edited by ExurKun at Oct 26, 2009,
having 6-8 tens doesent necisarily sacrifice low end at all having more tens ads volume while remaining crisp but they do take more power to get the same 'gut busting' low end then a 15"

having the 1x15+4x10 setup in general would do better in live situaitons when a PA is not available. or if you drop tune very low.

overall it is not that big of a difference and its just a matter of preferance. go to a music store and just try 8x10 versus 4x10 + 1x15 you will see what im talking about quickly. but again it is not that big a difference

out of those choices i think personaly i would prefer the trace eliot setup based on it's value (higher end gear for lower price)
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by Emergancy Exit
having 6-8 tens doesent necisarily sacrifice low end at all having more tens ads volume while remaining crisp but they do take more power to get the same 'gut busting' low end then a 15"

having the 1x15+4x10 setup in general would do better in live situaitons when a PA is not available. or if you drop tune very low.

overall it is not that big of a difference and its just a matter of preferance. go to a music store and just try 8x10 versus 4x10 + 1x15 you will see what im talking about quickly. but again it is not that big a difference

out of those choices i think personaly i would prefer the trace eliot setup based on it's value (higher end gear for lower price)

+1 to everything here. Seriously. Every word.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
3 and 5 will get you close to the sound you want. The ashdowns will have a "woofy" sound to them, if that makes sense. Not sure about the Warwick...never used one. I know they make good gear though.
Nope, no sig here.
A 4x10 will produce the low end easier then a 1x15,

3.5.2 in that order would be my choice, but how about getting a second 4x10 or 2x10 if you like that sound. Using different sized speakers works best with a crossover and being able to deliver the right amount of power.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Gotta go with the Trace Elliot setup first, then the Warwick setup. The Trace rig is pretty flexible, I'm sure you'll be pleased with the way you sound.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Also the trace will probably be the loudist. Its packed with groovium!
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Indeed the trace is very tempting for the price,
I don't wanna be too cheap though and get screwed later, is buying amps used generally a good or bad idea?
And I think I know what you mean by a woofy sound, but that doesnt sound like itd be great for rock, which is what i always hear. just to be sure, do you know of any bsass videos that would show a similiar tone?
Theres nothing wrong it buying used at all if i can i buy everything used. I think if its still working now and in good condition it will probably go for another 20. Theirs trace elliot heads out there that are 25 years old or so and still working fine. Go get the trace.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
OK I did some more research/looked for used stuff....so 4 final choices (shipping already added in)

1)Ashdown MAG 300H EVO II 300w($270 new)
Ashdown MAG 410t 450w($300 new)
$870
Has a built in compresor, I've heard its good for rock, and its cheap plus new...but I'm worried about the "wooly" sound?

2)Trace Elliot AH300 SMC 300w($300 used)
Trace Elliot 1x15 300w($300 used)
Trace Elliot 4x10 300w($300 used)
$900
Heard great things, never actually played one though or gotten a really definitive description of their tone, cheap though and local pickup so i can try it out

3)Peavey Tour 450 450w($300 used)
Markbass Traveler 210 400w($450 used) (only 35 pounds)
$1050
Durable, easy to transport, and the most powerful rig, but $150 more than the first two

4)Warwick ProFret 3.2 300w($280 used)
MarkBass traveler 210 400w($450 used)(only 35 pounds)
Warwick Pro 1x15 ($400)
$1100
Idk warwicks supposed to be good, but is it worth it?
Im still going for option 2. And i suppose maybe your thinking of the so called ashdown wolliness. I havent experienced this and i own one, its a very warm amp if you end up with the ashdown.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul

if you go with one though, get a 1x15.

also, check out Carvin.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity

if you go with one though, get a 1x15.

also, check out Carvin.

+1
I second the Carvin motion. New stuff for cheap that sounds great. Hard to go wrong.
Fender 5 String Jazz Bass
Fender Precision Bass
Peavey TNT 115
EHX Bass Big Muff Pi
Daneletro Cool Cat OD V2 (excellent pedal)
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom Semi-Hollow
Peavey Classic 30
Vox V845 Classic Wah Pedal
Over on TB, they're recomending me check out GK, and from what Ive researched so far it sounds very good, although a tad bit pricey, thoughts?
GK is good.

their cabs do not impress, but their heads are excellent.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom