Alright, a pretty nice NGD is coming up for me, I'm just split between these two axes:

- The Ibanez RG3550MZ: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG3550MZ-Prestige-Electric-Guitar?sku=582718

or the John Petrucci Signature by EBMM: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Music-Man-John-Petrucci-6-Electric-Guitar?sku=515568

My budget is pretty flexible, but i'd like to keep it under $2,000.
My genre is predominantly metal but I play some jazz too, so i'd like it to be versatile.
Bands are: Dream Theater, Opeth, Satch, Vai, Porcupine Tree.

Complication: I live in Argentina so trying either of these will be a bitch, I tried the John Petrucci Signature but for a very short time, I didn't even get a chance to get used to the feel. As for the Ibanez, it's gonna be impossible to try one here, but I have tried another RG Prestige and loved the feel of the wizard neck, so any light you can shed on this guitar would be useful.

Another question: Is the bridge on the RG3550MZ any good? I've heard all kinds of things about bridges on Ibanez guitars, the bridge is "Edge-Zero Tremolo Bridge With ZPS3 Spring System" so you don't have to search for it.
And yet another: If I stretch my budget a lot (for another 6 months at least) I could get the JP6 BFR, I was wondering if it's worth the huge stretch or not.
Here's the link to it: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Music-Man-Ball-Family-Reserve-John-Petrucci-6-Electric-Guitar?sku=518578

Also forgot to mention what I'm playing it through:
Peavey Valveking 112 boosted with a bad monkey. I'm working on a new amp but it's tougher to bring here than a guitar and they're over three times more expensive in Argentina, so don't tell me to get a new one.

I don't think I have to go used with my budget, but I'm not entirely against it.
Any and all help is appreciated, thank you!

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by Zoso1994 at Oct 26, 2009,
I really don't care for any of Ibanez's higher end models. In all honesty, they aren't worth any bit of the extra money. For example, look at these:

http://ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG420CM
http://ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RGT42DXFM
http://ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG420EG

... All under $600.

Now, look at these:

http://ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG1550ML
http://ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG3520ZE

Between $1,200 and over $1,500.
I really don't understand what there is to desire about their really expensive models.

Now, I'm a lefty, and I would kill for a nice EBMM for myself.

Go with the EBMM, all the friggin' way.
The biggest difference I see is the bridge, the Edge III which is widely hated around here and the other bridges which I don't know too much about.
Anyways, my main concern is playability, as I understand 80% of tone comes from the amp. I want a neck built for shredding, my concern is: Does EBMM compare to Ibanez in terms of playability?
Hoping for more input, thanks

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

bump, going to sleep i'll check for more answers as soon as I wake up

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

The higher end ones use much better woods and are much higher quality. Don't even bother with a lower end Ibanez if you're willing to get a high end one. There is a huge difference in quality and tone. Specs don't mean anything. It's like the difference between Epiphone and Gibson or MIM Fenders and MIA Fenders.

The Edge Zero is great. It's the perfect trem to me. It's everything that a good trem should be. It stays in perfect tune no matter what. The bridge always goes to the exact same spot. You can do subtle vibrato (very hard on Floyds) or radical dive bombs and pull-ups. It only moves when you touch the bar so your bends and double stops will be just like they are on a fixed bridge. It's also the easiest trem to adjust and you'll never need a screwdriver. It gets it's negative rep because it doesn't feel or operate like people expect it to. It's not an Edge Pro and it's not a standard Floyd. It's like the next evolution of them. It improved the design by removing the negatives associated with Floyds but purists aren't too happy about it because it's not an Edge Pro like they've come to expect on Ibanez RGs.

If you like the feel of the RG Prestige, I say go for it.
Thanks for the input, I'm leaning towards the Ibanez at the moment, all other opinions appreciated

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

There is an Ibanez RG320PG-P1

it has the termilo 3 bridge and a Wizard neck and is milles cheeper then the Ibanez RG3550MZ
Quote by iplaywithfire^^
There is an Ibanez RG320PG-P1

it has the termilo 3 bridge and a Wizard neck and is milles cheeper then the Ibanez RG3550MZ

You know it's cheaper for a reason right? And lets be honest Prestige RG or non Prestige RG not a hard choice.
Don't recommend me crap guitars, even less ones with an edge III. My budget is enough to get something good, so I'd like to know what's the best I can do with it. Thanks

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

If you're willing to save up for the Reserve John Petrucci then I'd go with that. I've been fortunate to try 3 or 4 different examples of that guitar so far and they've all been excellent. They sound wonderful, quite a lot ballsier than the 770 and 1570 I a/b'ed them with.

Where the Ibanez's wins is in playability. Though, to the credit of the Music Man, they don't win by much. While Ibanez's make me feel like I've got to reach for those first frets (like how an SG compares to a Les Paul) that's the only issue with playability - and it's extremely minor. Ibanez RG's have consistently been the most comfortable guitars I've ever played. If you're willing to drop another couple hundred on some new pickups for whichever Ibanez you like the looks of you're sure to end up with one very formidable axe.

Oh, I forgot about the bridges. The Edge Zero gets my vote of confidence in this contest. The Petrucci's bridge feels good and everything but without that locking nut I'd worry about tuning stability.

Edit: Wow, I forgot you were considering a 3550. Tough choice then. The Reserve EB JP is like twice the price, but not really any better. (unless you really want a Piezo)

Try before you buy I guess...
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Last edited by ch0 at Oct 27, 2009,
I've played both ... Personally, i think ilbanez is 'more playable' and I can play longer and 'harder' riffs with it.

Sound wise, No preferences.
Quote by ch0
If you're willing to save up for the Reserve John Petrucci then I'd go with that. I've been fortunate to try 3 or 4 different examples of that guitar so far and they've all been excellent. They sound wonderful, quite a lot ballsier than the 770 and 1570 I a/b'ed them with.

Where the Ibanez's wins is in playability. Though, to the credit of the Music Man, they don't win by much. While Ibanez's make me feel like I've got to reach for those first frets (like how an SG compares to a Les Paul) that's the only issue with playability - and it's extremely minor. Ibanez RG's have consistently been the most comfortable guitars I've ever played. If you're willing to drop another couple hundred on some new pickups for whichever Ibanez you like the looks of you're sure to end up with one very formidable axe.

Oh, I forgot about the bridges. The Edge Zero gets my vote of confidence in this contest. The Petrucci's bridge feels good and everything but without that locking nut I'd worry about tuning stability.

Edit: Wow, I forgot you were considering a 3550. Tough choice then. The Reserve EB JP is like twice the price, but not really any better. (unless you really want a Piezo)

Try before you buy I guess...

Thanks for the useful info, I don't really need a piezo, my main concern was playability, if I want an upgrade later on I could just drop in some Bareknuckles, and if the bridge is great too, I guess as soon as I get to the states I'm gonna try out an RG3550 or the closest thing I can find.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I would go with the 3550, but Im a bit biased.
A bunch of RG's
]Ibanez RG2550Z
1990 Ibanez rg550
ZW Buzzsaw
Ibanez: s470
Jackson: RR Flying V
Charvel: 90's model sunburst
Jackson Stealth
Mesa Boogie Solo 50
Sunn cab