Today when browsing the string selection at a guitar boutique near my house, I chatted up an employee to pass the time. Usual questions, what type of music do you play? type of guitar? strings? etc. I was pretty surprised by his answer to what the store sells most. He said D'Addario... 10 to 1 any other brand. I knew they were popular but 10:1 wow. I've always been under the impression that D'Addario, Ernie Ball and DR all sold relatively well and are available at most shops. I'm sure the buying preference at a common guitar center would be different than boutique sales. My take on this is that more experienced players choose D'Addario vs other brands (I suppose in my local area lol). I'm still not sure whether I like D'Addario or GHS Boomers more for my personal taste, but I thought this was an interesting bit of info. I suppose what I'm curious about is, to those of you who work at a guitar shops in states other than MN (or ask the employees these questions), do you have a certain brand of strings that sell considerably more than the others? or is there more of an even distribution of sales?

TL;DR: D'Addario sells 10:1 vs other brands according to employee
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
I use D'Addario 44's and I love them.

EDIT: Just read the whole post. I don't sell things

Holy hell, what kind of tuning do you use? I just switched to .10's.
I'm an Ernie Ball guy primarily but I just ordered a 3-pack of D'Addarios to try them out.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I've used Ernie Balls, GHS, Dunlop, DR, Everly, D'Addarios, etc.. And my personal preference went to the Ernie Balls. They felt great to me, didn't break anywhere near as often as others i tried, they lasted longer before I felt I NEEDED to change strings. Just what I ended up loving in the string department
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by CerebralEdge
I use elixirs.

This. I can't live without my elixirs.
In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.

╔═══╗
║  ██ ║
╠═══╣
║╬  •• ║
╚═══╝
Personally I prefer EB's. I know of people say they snap fast, but mine only snap when they're getting old and are due for a change anyway. Plus, they have a lot of nice hybrid sets.

I believe the reason D'Addario sells as much as 10:1 is that, I think it's sort of a "mainstream" brand if you will, and all those who come in to buy strings, without knowing alot about strings, or just doesn't have a personal preferance, merely ask for a set of 10's or whatever, and the employees hand them the D'Addario's, thus increasing it's profits over the other brands.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
Sry to dissapoint, I didn't mean it to be a what string do you use thread
Quote by Alex Vik

I believe he's referring to the bottom string's gauge. And I love D Addarios. Nothing else comes close for me.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Oct 26, 2009,
Quote by SinnaSatan
I believe the reason D'Addario sells as much as 10:1 is that, I think it's sort of a "mainstream" brand if you will, and all those who come in to buy strings, without knowing alot about strings, or just doesn't have a personal preferance, merely ask for a set of 10's or whatever, and the employees hand them the D'Addario's, thus increasing it's profits over the other brands.

this could be a reason

When I was working in a music store, we used to sell more Ernie Balls, but we never outsold other brand by a factor of 10.

People had a preference for Ernie Ball because of the packaging, which is more striking, whereas D'Addario is more subdued.

I use Aurora. Nice to be the really odd one out every now and again.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Alex Vik

Drop Z, duh.

Sorry. I refer to the gauge of the low E. It's probably not how everyone else does it. I've just had more success with GC employees calling them "44's"

I guess I'd be using .10's then.
I suppose since the thread has changed to what you use now lol i'll join in. I use boomers also but when I can't find em I use D'Addario's. For some reason not all stores carry ghs, and even some of those don't carry 12 w/ wound 3rds. I'm basically limited to like 3 stores if i want boomers : /
Just started using .10-.52 Boomers and I like them SOOOO much more than the D'Addario .10-.46 (or is it .48's?) that I used to use.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by stratman_13
.11s - .12s biotch.

.13s on my Strat and SG niggra. .12s on my LP.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

i use D'Addario's 9s on my strat
12's on my les paul, i dont down tune either

iv been told that 10:1 by the people at my guitar store to
Quote by mmolteratx
.13s on my Strat and SG niggra. .12s on my LP.

I'm removing 13's from my strat atm... I forced them into the nut and hairline fractured it lolz. It's still usable but I'm guessing not for long. Back to 12's i go
I've been trying to get my Strat set up for .13s for ages now. I keep forgetting.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by Naptime
I'm removing 13's from my strat atm... I forced them into the nut and hairline fractured it lolz. It's still usable but I'm guessing not for long. Back to 12's i go

I got mine set up professionaly for them. They sound awesome but they're a total pain in the ass whenever the store is out of ones without a wound G.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Ya I really need to do that also, but the setup at my place has a week wait and my friend has my acoustic
Quote by joe_k
i must say i do prefer boomers but i can never find them anywhere. therefore daddarios win on price and availability.

I went to Walmart to get boomers when I used them.

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
I use DR Pure Blue .10's on my electrics. Just like the sound and feel I guess. I recently put some D'Addario EXP .12's on my acoustic by recommendation of my local GC employee, and i'm digging them so far.
Dunlop 10s.. I hate EBs.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by pokeatthedevil
I went to Walmart to get boomers when I used them.

i am in australia. all the stores near me either don't sell them or don't have 10-46.