I mean real screamo. Saetia, Suis La Lune, I Hate Myself, Pg. 99, Funeral Diner, Circle Takes the Square, Portraits of Past, etc.

Despite my reluclance to ask this question, I think I'll do it anyway. What kind of gear would you use for this genre of music?

Specifically, what amps are nice? Anyone else who plays it could shed some light on nice pedals that work well?

Hope this doesn't turn into a ignorance filled flame war.
A few friends of mine play screamo and Ibanez RG's and ESP's tend to float around that style for guitars. For amps it sounds like Bugera, Madison, Krank are the kinda flavor of the week these days for amps.
Any High Gain Modern Voiced amp can do Screamo well.

and almost any guitar w/ buckers can do scremo
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Just curious, do all of you guys actually play screamo? Or are these just ideas?

I would love a Krank, so goddamn expensive though.
Quote by The_Bosstone
Just curious, do all of you guys actually play screamo? Or are these just ideas?

I would love a Krank, so goddamn expensive though.

I play
feel free to add me
I wouldn't say I play screamo specifically but those bands use pretty much the same gear as most other metal and alternative bands out there. Bogners are becoming increasingly popular also
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2d1sbcXclS8/SCeAbi1o8MI/AAAAAAAAABA/47a8Uf66Ohs/s1600-h/DSC_0002.JPG

^ Circle Takes The Square's gear. They've got a dual channel JCM800, a Mako Dorado, a Soldano (is that an avenger?, ) and I've seen them A/Bing that gear with Dual Recitifiers live. Looks like they're got a G&L Tele and Les Pauls. I know Cathy uses a G&L PJ and I think she used to use LTD basses. I vaguely remember her playing through a Gallien Krueger bass rig. Most screamo bassists play Fender Ps, and sometimes you'll see Jazzes.

Oldschool emo bands used single channel JCM800s mostly, and ProCo Rat's were pretty popular for distortion because most of those guys didn't know how to turn down the volume knob for cleans. You can see the Rat on the floor in pics of Indian Summer playing live. The Promise Ring also used a Rat into an 800 (those guys were totally skramz, right?). Will Killingsworth from Ampere and Orchid uses a dual channel JCM800 and an SG Standard. Hot Cross had what looked like a PRS or a Schecter or something, I don't remember except that I know it wasn't the typical Gibson and Marshall setup. I don't know what Saetia used, but their tone is awful (the songs are great though).

Portraits of Past have a pretty interesting sound with that rusty clank going on, Rex has an SG with P90s into some kind of Fender type amp. The other guitarist has a Gibson ES into a Plexi. Their bassist is playing a Vox teardrop into an SVT. I don't know if that's what the used in the 90s, but it's what their touring with now. You see Rex's SG in pics from back then though.

I remember reading on Fourfa.com that most oldschool emo bands used "Ampeg 400s". That probably means SVT400Ts, which were in production in the 80s.

JCM800s are the most common amps you'll see, sometimes 900s since screamo really starting happening around 97 and those were the flagship Marshalls of the 90s. I haven't seen anyone using JCM2000s or JVMs yet though. Les Pauls and SGs seem to tbe the go-to guitars.

Now the kind of screamo that shows up in Alternative Press... those guys mostly play JCM2000s and Dual Rectifiers, some Oranges. Underoath uses a dual channel 800 and Rectos. And I think Atreyu has used 800s a lot.
^Mako Dorado and Avenger
feel free to add me
Holy fuck, that was great. Thanks so much, haha.

Basically, I'm looking for an amp for about $600-$700-ish for screamo. Should I try and find a JCM 800?
A used 800 combo in decent shape should go for about 800$ depending on where you're located. It seems that in larger areas the go for a lot less. I once saw one go for 400$ on CL near Philly, but I'm in Wisconsin right now and they're hard to come across. Any more than 800$ is a rip off though. The heads seem to go for around the same amount. I got my 2210 off ebay for 800$, and some were going for even more. The dual channels don;t have a lot of headroom on cleans though, even with the 100 watts mine tends to break up if I play hard. I imagine the 2205 must be even worse for that. Also, dual channels made before 1986 have some issues with channels bleeding into each other, so I'd avoid any made before then. The single channel versions are great, but a little less versatile and less modern sounding. The 2203X reissue is supposed to not sound as good as the real thing.
Quote by The_Bosstone
Grah. Any cheaper options? I got a Rat to boost it.

AOR
Peavey Butcher
VTM

feel free to add me
Aidan I wouldn't really look to a modern tight sounding metal amp to play screamo. I got some awesome screamo sounds by just using my Rat into a clean amp (my Sunn). You really don't need much more than that, but a reverb or analog delay could be nice, maybe a phaser. I'd look at any Fender combo with your Rat.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
A Krank Rev Jr Pro 20 with 1 cab goes for under US$700 if I recall correctly.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Hmm. I was considering a SF Bassman for a while, but I'm not too sure if it could keep up with Converge-esque stuff.

EDIT: Or doom.
Last edited by The_Bosstone at Oct 26, 2009,
Peavey Windsor Head into a decent cab will do probably.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores