Well, since ive owned this amp, the volume has been a bit unsteady. Recently, it has gotten a bit worse. It will start at one volume and go up or down 10Db or so for a period of time, and switch back. One thing i noticed is that the effects loop level switch, if i press it in half way and hold it, brings the amp to full volume, and in any other position acts like a 10 db cut. This effects the amp with the effects loop engaged or not, and does not give the 10DB drop just to the effects loop. So, im guessing the effects loop level switch is fubar, but how could it be that ****ed up? Or am I missing something (damaged output transformer, filter cap?)
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
anyone?
Gear:
Peavey XXL head
Quote by stykerwolf
Sounds like a bad tube (powertube)

Peavey XXL is a SS amp

TS: is there a knob on the back of the amp to adjust the effects loop volume level? I can't remember from when I played one. I know the XXX has them.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Oct 27, 2009,
its a solid state amp with a output transformer. Its just a switch. pressed in it should be a 10DB cut, but it seems to be shorted somewhat and do it randomly. if i hold it in just right, i get the normal volume, or it will randomly cut/uncut. on the other hand, the effects loop doesnt respond to the switch at all, and is constantly at normal volume.
Gear:
Peavey XXL head
Yeah, the volume drop/spike is a common problem with the amp, but im not sure if anyone tried ****ing with the effects loop switch, and atleast for me it seems to have an effect on the volume (bringing it back to normal).
Gear:
Peavey XXL head