Hey guys. My manager at work hooked me up with a gig at a place called Plumas Friday night. My band is going to play that night and she asked us to play the next night too but my bro has a gig with his other band so she wants me to DJ instead. Only thing wrong is that I don't know how to do it or work the equipment. Since I am a musician and know a lot about PA systems Im assuming I could figure it out pretty quickly. She makes it sound like the normal DJ's just come in with their iPods or laptops and play those.

As far as I could see when I checked it out the first time they had: a light controller on the left (one that you just flip switches), they had a double turn table thing in the middle and then on the right they had a dj mixer.

Can anybody help me out with some tips or anything? I'm watching some videos on youtube to help me and I'm also going to go back to the place this week and me and her are gonna figure out how to use it hopefully. Also I'm not sure on what kind of music to play? Obviously rap/hip-hop mostly but I dunno what popular these days cuz I hate that music and NEVER listen to the radio. Anything at all will help. Thanks!

It'll take YEARS to master how to work decks. Sorry, but there's just no way.

"Hi, I'm a DJ, but the venue at my next gig couldn't supply me with turntables, so they asked me to just play guitar instead. Problem is, I don't know how to play guitar."

It's somewhat like that. It all depends on what kind of DJ they're talking about, though, if it's just a "playlist DJ" kind of thing then you can probably make do with just an iPod or laptop if you know how to work the PA. Nothing worse than the next song being louder than the current one and blowing out everyone's ears.
My advice would be to read the audience. Ive done it for cash for 5 years.

You cant go in with a predetermined setlist, it just doesnt work. You have to be ready to pick the place up if it is not energetic...but keep in mind that you cant play 10 fast songs in a row.

Good luck!
Last edited by Sir-Shredalot at Oct 26, 2009,
Quote by xaviergray

It'll take YEARS to master how to work decks. Sorry, but there's just no way.

"Hi, I'm a DJ, but the venue at my next gig couldn't supply me with turntables, so they asked me to just play guitar instead. Problem is, I don't know how to play guitar."

It's somewhat like that. It all depends on what kind of DJ they're talking about, though, if it's just a "playlist DJ" kind of thing then you can probably make do with just an iPod or laptop if you know how to work the PA. Nothing worse than the next song being louder than the current one and blowing out everyone's ears.

This.

I know a few DJ's and it takes years to get it right. You need to mix the levels just right, you have to hear the beat clearly which is why one headphone on and one out. If you miss the beat when changing songs it sounds awful. Knowing how to do a good mashup as well.

Answer: Pull out.
Yeah I mean I realize I'm not gonna be some hardcore DJ and scratch and shit like that. I'm just going to play the damn songs haha I saw Virtual DJ but of course its only for PC. Why the **** would they make it only for PC? Anyway....so yeah....I guess I'm just going to play some songs...that's all she wants Im assuming. I guess I'll just go and try out the equipment they have and if I can't do what she wants then she'll just hafta find somebody else. But if she's cool with me just playing a playlist or whatever and I still get paid $100 bucks then hey!
I have a Mac. I do have Virtualbox though so I could technically run it. But then I'd probably have to put all the songs in the shared folder and blah blah blah....don't feel like doing that. The only reason I have virtualbox is to run XP so I can use RPG Maker 2003 hahahaha
Quote by anthsband
Yeah I mean I realize I'm not gonna be some hardcore DJ and scratch and shit like that. I'm just going to play the damn songs haha I saw Virtual DJ but of course its only for PC. Why the **** would they make it only for PC? Anyway....so yeah....I guess I'm just going to play some songs...that's all she wants Im assuming. I guess I'll just go and try out the equipment they have and if I can't do what she wants then she'll just hafta find somebody else. But if she's cool with me just playing a playlist or whatever and I still get paid $100 bucks then hey!

I'm not talking about scratching. Are you just putting songs on over the PA? Is that all you're doing? Or are you processing, mixing and changing the songs?

I just can't see how you'll do it successfully. Good luck anyway.
Well the important thing to remember is ask what the people want, not just play what you think they will like.

My teacher is a dj, and was saying you need to play alot of different music.. Some people want Bon Jovi while others want Chris Brown. Being diverse always helps. Interact.
Quote by Hendrix_fan_14
I'm not talking about scratching. Are you just putting songs on over the PA? Is that all you're doing? Or are you processing, mixing and changing the songs?

Yeah, even putting songs over a PA takes a degree of skill, getting the levels perfect for smooth transitions between songs, and having the EQ just right is something that takes practice.

To TS, nothing in this world is as easy as picking up in a week. Absolutely nothing. Sorry, but that's the way it is, everything is harder than it looks. And that goes for any area/profession/art.
Quote by Hendrix_fan_14

I guess that's all she wants me to do. I'll just have to see when I go and try it out during the week. If I can't do it no big deal