I'm thinking about selling one of my guitars, 80's Gibson Les Paul Standard, good condition, I'm not entirely sure what it's worth. But in the world where every penny I get is put towards making my current setup better, it's alot of money.

I don't play it at all honestly. It sits in it's case. It's too heavy for me, I'm barely 110lbs and I can't hold it onstage. The sound isn't really my cup of tea, though I can definitely see how it could be somebody elses.

The only thing keeping me from just putting it on ebay or craiglist is the fact that it's the last thing my Grandpa gave me before he died...Eh. I'm trying to decide whats best to do, and UG usually gives me the best answers on any question :]
Lots of pedals.
your grandpa would want you to be happy. so whatever that is, he'd likely be behind it.

but a les paul is a hella nice guitar, so you are parting with a great guitar that will likely not go down in value much. if at all.

tough call.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Skunk Force 9
The only thing keeping me from just putting it on ebay or craiglist is the fact that it's the last thing my Grandpa gave me before he died...Eh. I'm trying to decide whats best to do, and UG usually gives me the best answers on any question :]

If I were you, I'd get accustomed to the Les Paul and use it... even if it is sparingly.

You'll regret a decision to sell the guitar. As it is, you're held back because its the last thing your granddad gave you before he passed on. Imagine how'd you'd feel if you sold it and suddenly regretted your decision.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
If I were you, I'd get accustomed to the Les Paul and use it... even if it is sparingly.

You'll regret a decision to sell the guitar. As it is, you're held back because its the last thing your granddad gave you before he passed on. Imagine how'd you'd feel if you sold it and suddenly regretted your decision.

think long and hard, one day you might find that the LP is something you would want in your arsenal.
Last edited by OnEvOlUmEb!tCh at Oct 26, 2009,
Sell it if it isn't sentimental to you. Keep it if it is.

I gather your Grandpa was a musician. I'm sure he'd rather see you play than collect.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by dlguitarmaster7
its a gibson les paul dude. if anything it can only apprecitate in value over the years. keep it. or u can sell it to me

I like the way that sounds. (the appreciation part.)
I guess it's something I'd definitely regret down the road.
Thanks guys.
Lots of pedals.
I'd play the guitar ALOT,and see what I like/dislike about it,then decide after a while.Or,see what the rest of your family says about it.
I doubt your grandpa gave you it so you watch it sit in it's case.He gave it to you because,as a guitarist,you would have a use for it.And what's better than giving your grandson a really nice guitar?
So if it's not a nice guitar for you,then your grandad would probably like to see you with a guitar that you really connect with.Then it's almost a way of connecting to him.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
I would keep it. Even if you do end up selling it in the long run I don't think selling it right now is going to net you the best gain (an 80s Gibby is the kind of luxury purchase most people have been cutting back on). Like someone else said, it is a Gibson and likely will appreciate in value. Also, unless you are a small guy by nature, you probably will eventually be more than 110, making the weight less of an issue. And you never know when your tastes might change, maybe in 10 years you'll really want an LP sound and how great would it be to still have that one around?
I am looking for guitar pro tabs of full moon fever of tom Petty... please anyone can help??? Thanks!!!!

<user was warned for this post, reason: spam>
If it ain't your cup of tea, change the pickups around til it becomes your cup of tea
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by Skunk Force 9
I'm thinking about selling one of my guitars, 80's Gibson Les Paul Standard, good condition, I'm not entirely sure what it's worth. But in the world where every penny I get is put towards making my current setup better, it's alot of money.

I don't play it at all honestly. It sits in it's case. It's too heavy for me, I'm barely 110lbs and I can't hold it onstage. The sound isn't really my cup of tea, though I can definitely see how it could be somebody elses.

Don't sell it!!!!!!
It will only go up in value and desirablity
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Keep It! New Les pauls are very compramised in terms of quality and value for money. they are not even investable! Gibson's new models are so shit so if you sold it then reconsidered you wont get that baby back! even custom shop aint 'amazing' anymore.
Quote by Lovecannon
If it ain't your cup of tea, change the pickups around til it becomes your cup of tea

That's not going to help if he doesn't like the neck or just the overall feel of the guitar.
At the end of the day, it was something given to you by someone you care about. Even if you don't use it extensively, it should hold some meaning to you.

There are 1,001 Les Pauls out there. 80s Les Pauls aren't THAT limited. However, there will only be one Les Paul your granddad left you. Once sold, you'll never see that Les Paul ever again, I personally guarantee that.

By the time you regret that sale, and contact that person, chances are... he'd have traded it on. Once gone, its gone.

Even if you don't use it now, maintain it. One day, maybe your kids or grandkids will love it. "This Les Paul was the last present my Dad got from his Granddad" has much much more character than any old "Les Paul my Dad bought for me".

Also like Lovecannon says, a pickup change will help with a different voicing. Granted it won't be a night and day difference, it may be significant enough for you to like the new sound.

Its not just a Les Paul, its a Les Paul left to you by someone you care about. That meaning behind that guitar would be a meaningful reminder of someone. Remember that family heirlooms are valued not merely because they hold an intrinsic value, but because it carries an emotional value, a story, a heritage and is a link to your past.

In these days of disposable consumerism and superficial meanings, don't you feel unique by owning a heirloom? Your granddad gave you Gibson because he knew you are a musician. It shows that he has established a link and a connection with you. Heck, a $2,000 Gibson with meaning and a story should be worth more to you than a spanking new guitar costing $4,000.

Do you think that the guy buying your guitar will be able to appreciate the history behind your Gibson? To him, it'll just be another Gibson Les Paul. To you, its the Gibson Les Paul left to you by your granddad.

I'll get off my soapbox nao.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Oct 27, 2009,
Don't do it ... My lespaul has been with me for the last 10 years. Haven't played it for years but it brings back memories of my live performances ..

U will regret it when you reach 60 years old and have nothing to remember to.
Quote by laxduck
Also, unless you are a small guy by nature, you probably will eventually be more than 110, making the weight less of an issue.

Yeah. I'm 18, 110, 5'10. I've tried gaining weight hah.

Quote by ragingkitty
At the end of the day, it was something given to you by someone you care about. Even if you don't use it extensively, it should hold some meaning to you.

There are 1,001 Les Pauls out there. 80s Les Pauls aren't THAT limited. However, there will only be one Les Paul your granddad left you. Once sold, you'll never see that Les Paul ever again, I personally guarantee that.

By the time you regret that sale, and contact that person, chances are... he'd have traded it on. Once gone, its gone.

Even if you don't use it now, maintain it. One day, maybe your kids or grandkids will love it. "This Les Paul was the last present my Dad got from his Granddad" has much much more character than any old "Les Paul my Dad bought for me".

Also like Lovecannon says, a pickup change will help with a different voicing. Granted it won't be a night and day difference, it may be significant enough for you to like the new sound.

Its not just a Les Paul, its a Les Paul left to you by someone you care about. That meaning behind that guitar would be a meaningful reminder of someone. Remember that family heirlooms are valued not merely because they hold an intrinsic value, but because it carries an emotional value, a story, a heritage and is a link to your past.

In these days of disposable consumerism and superficial meanings, don't you feel unique by owning a heirloom? Your granddad gave you Gibson because he knew you are a musician. It shows that he has established a link and a connection with you. Heck, a $2,000 Gibson with meaning and a story should be worth more to you than a spanking new guitar costing $4,000.

Do you think that the guy buying your guitar will be able to appreciate the history behind your Gibson? To him, it'll just be another Gibson Les Paul. To you, its the Gibson Les Paul left to you by your granddad.

I'll get off my soapbox nao.

Thanks. That really solidified my decision.
UG Does it again
Lots of pedals.
If you kept it in good condition then it would probably be worth loads in the future
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
I'd keep regardless of how much it's worth. Simply cause it would mean alot to me. If weight is a huge issue, try a wider strap.
5'10" and 110lbs? Lay off the crystal meth. and then perhaps you'll gain some weight.
Quote by Commodor 64
5'10" and 110lbs? Lay off the crystal meth. and then perhaps you'll gain some weight.

I'm 5'10" and only 115.

But seriously, keep the guitar, and please don't modify it, it'll be so much more of a relic if it's totally stock.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these: