well most of the higher quality older keytars, like the moog libertarian, are just midi controllers that run into a preamp or an actual synth via instrument cable. Orrr some of the newer models actually have self contained preamps that you would just need to run and instrument cable directly into a pa head. Good luck, keytars are bitchin

EDIT: but if you could actually say which keytar you have i may be able to help more?
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

Last edited by schtick_bomb at Oct 26, 2009,
I love Peter Kirn's blog, but today he posted some crazy shit and I have to call him out on it.

In a story titled Keytar Komeback: You Don’t Love It Until It’s Gone, An Open Letter to Roland, Peter tries to convince Roland that the keytar has become cool again. Primarily citing the rising price of keytars on ebay, he argues that there is new demand for the defunct instrument.

I'm sorry, but this is just not true. I'm sure there is a niche retro community out there who likes unique hardware, and is embracing the keytar much like they embrace the melodica. Still, both the melodica AND the keytar suffer from the same basic problems that make them permanently uncool (although not necessarily un-fun).

The design principal behind the keytar is to combine the versatility of a keyboard with the look of a guitar, in the hopes of getting the best of both instruments. Sadly, what you end up with the exactly the opposite. You get neither the coolness of the guitar, nor the versatility of the keyboard.

First, with keytars, you are limited to playing with one hand. This limits the keyboardist to either solos, or rhythm parts. Right there, you lose a ton of the expressivity of a traditional keyboard, which can go from playing a single melodic line to emulating a full orchestra in the blink of an eye.

Secondly, even with the one hand that a keytarist can use, they can't play as well with it as they could on a traditional keyboard. I can attest to this personally, but this is also a function of the fact that every keyboard player learns to play on a traditional keyboard. As such, they have far more practice with a traditional setup than they do with the awkward, half-standing position that they have to assume in order to play a keytar.

In short, a keytar performance can almost never be as expressive, or technically brilliant as a performance on a traditional keyboard. So, the only possible reason to use a keytar is for the look. To rebut the argument that keytars look cool, I will simply present two pictures.
^This thread was about a question on how to record a keytar, not a general discussuion about keytars.

On topic again, does his keytar have a MIDI output?
Straight from the wiki page:
This instrument functions as a MIDI controller; it produces MIDI messages that are sent to an external synthesizer or sound module. (Thus it produces no sound on its own.) It is fully compatible with General MIDI, General MIDI Level 2, and Roland's own GS MIDI implementation. It has both MIDI in and out ports, and can store up to 32 patches.

You need a midi cable, midi interface, computer, and a synth program.
There are other modules you can use to make sound, but that's the most common for amateur musicians like most of us here on UG. That's how I run my midi keyboards, anyway.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at Nov 5, 2009,
Yeah, basically.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite