Im looking for a new set of tubes for my amps (6505 dual recto and baron custom). I dont want something more like an el34 or anything no kt88s or w/e but just a smoother less harsh and less flat sounding 6l6.

What would be a good tube?

Another question...is it worthwhile getting better preamp tubes (for my 2 non custom amps).
You could throw in some KT66s. And yes, preamp tubes will make a difference.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Maybe you're not looking for an alternative tube type, you are probably looking for a different 6L6 brand. Try JJ 6L6s. They are smooth and dynamic.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
preamp tubes would have a greater overall impact on your tone than power tubes.

JJ's 6L6 are supposed to be darker, so you could get a tone that's less harsh.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
A Tung Sol in your V1 should smoothen out the sound of the amp overall and give it a slightly fatter tone.

A Mullard 12AX7 should be quite good in your Phase Inverter

You can try Ruby 12AX7 in the valve positions that are used for the Channel 2 to brighten it up slightly (I found this channel too dark).

Maybe JJEC83s for your valve positions used for Channel 3 to darken it somewhat (I found this channel too bright).

Both JJ or Ruby 6L6GCs should work find for your power section.

Please note that changes to your amp will be relatively subtle. Don't expect it to sound like a whole new amp.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Oct 27, 2009,
If you want a 6L6 variant look into the 5881 tube. It's a tube used in some amps like Soldano, Marshall JCM 900 and Krank.
It's not as bright as the 6L6 and is a more robust military spec 6L6.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Last edited by Van Noord at Oct 27, 2009,
Quote by forsaknazrael

hmm i didnt think you could use kt88s in 6505s because there wasnt enough room for them. kt88s AND 6l6s might be a nice option.
If you like the sound of a 6L6 and don't want tubes that will sound more like an EL34 i would check out 6550s. Not sure if they would fit the specs of the 5150 though.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by Van Noord
If you want a 6L6 variant look into the 5881 tube. It's a tube used in some amps like Soldano, Marshall JCM 900 and Krank.
It's not as bright as the 6L6 and is a more robust military spec 6L6.

No it isn't - the JCM900 uses EL34s, Krank use 6550s - admittedly the Soldano SLO100 does use 5881s, but please don't post false info...
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
No it isn't - the JCM900 uses EL34s, Krank use 6550s - admittedly the Soldano SLO100 does use 5881s, but please don't post false info...

not really false information. some jcm 900s came stock with 5881s...and the 5881 is a military grade 6L6 and are very often less bright...
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
i want more bright with the 6505 not less bright.

my main concern is smoothness and also trying to give the amp more body as it sounds very flat.
it definitely sounds like you want something like a 6550.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by pmeg568c
it definitely sounds like you want something like a 6550.

It sounds like he needs a new amp.

The 6505 is inherently dark and harsh.

A tube change will have very subtle changes to your tone. While I'm not certain how pleased you are with your overall tone, a change of tubes won't be like flicking a bright switch on your 6505.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Oct 27, 2009,
Check out a KT77 from JJ. Best sounding output tube IMHO.

The guy above me nailed it too..the changes are subtle, if you want wholesale changes get a new amp or something like a parametric EQ or something.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Quote by ragingkitty
It sounds like he needs a new amp.

The 6505 is inherently dark and harsh.

A tube change will have very subtle changes to your tone. While I'm not certain how pleased you are with your overall tone, a change of tubes won't be like flicking a bright switch on your 6505.

Im pretty pleased and understand it is inherintly dark, but plexi style pedals like the wampler can warm it up and the harshness can be taken away by different speakers.

I just really want to try different stuff out because im a tone nut
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
Im pretty pleased and understand it is inherintly dark, but plexi style pedals like the wampler can warm it up and the harshness can be taken away by different speakers.

I just really want to try different stuff out because im a tone nut

Ahhh fair enough.

Its just that we get some noobs who have purchased an amp and expect a whole different tonal palette just by changing the tubes of the amp.

A word of caution when using 6550 tubes... I find that they are inherently bright but are still harsh, particularly more so when your preamp tubes are bright or breakup early types.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
Be quiet noob. Some JCM 900's come stock with 5881's and the Krank Rev One comes with 5881's. GTFO.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
Be quiet noob. Some JCM 900's come stock with 5881's and the Krank Rev One comes with 5881's. GTFO.

Actually if you reread his posts, he didn't specify WHICH Krank.

The Jrs use 5881 too, whereas the Rev+ and the Krankenstein uses 6550s.

He's not entirely wrong.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by GrisKy
has anyone mentioned a bias mod to "warm" things up yet?

Its mostly bedroom playing for me, so its not much use at it only improves the amp at higher volumes.
Quote by ragingkitty
Actually if you reread his posts, he didn't specify WHICH Krank.

The Jrs use 5881 too, whereas the Rev+ and the Krankenstein uses 6550s.

He's not entirely wrong.
I said SOME Soldano's, JCM 900's and Krank. I know exactly which models use the 5881 power tubes but that is not the point of my post. The point was that those amp makers use 5881's in some of their amps.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
eurotubes is the place to go, at least fro the 6505. also my friend has the 5150 which electronically is identical to the 6505 and i find it waaaaay too bright at any setting. some JJ's in there will mellow it out a bit i think. check the full retube kits at eurotubes for different options to possibly achieve your goal.