Does anyone go for picks with custom designs or cool pictures, or do most people not bother? Technically, they seem a bit unnecessary since intense playing seems to sweat off all ornamental ink, anyway.

I do have two Pokemon-imprinted plectrums I'm quite fond of, though, and my rabid fanaticism causes me to keep them in a drawer and never play them.

So, UG! What are your thoughts on picks?
Last edited by zephyrclaw at Oct 27, 2009,
i tend to find ornamental pics best put on display. because tehy tend to be shit. i need a pick thats thick, has no flex and feels comfortable, and isnt overworn, its got to have good neat edges, my personal faves being big stubby 3mil and 1.14 torpex's because otherwise i find they either kill my tone, or i drop them, or they break
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
Quote by bananahammock
i tend to find ornamental pics best put on display. because tehy tend to be shit. i need a pick thats thick, has no flex and feels comfortable, and isnt overworn, its got to have good neat edges, my personal faves being big stubby 3mil and 1.14 torpex's because otherwise i find they either kill my tone, or i drop them, or they break

you might like dunlop 208's... i have the same preferences, and i like those. they wear down quick tho.
I don't like normal picks.
Dunlop Big stubbys are 3mm, yet they have a gradual rolloff on thicksness as they fade into the picking tip.
I like them because acoustically they are superior sounding ( A tad round and not at all icepickesk ) and they have amazing grip due to thickness and material.

No ornamental pick I have found pay much attention to opertion as much as they pay attention to the asthetics, which to me is senceless as I'm going to be covering the pick with my fingers anyway.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
I choose picks on how they feel, not on the little pic on them - besides the pic always rubs off in about a month lol

I'd like to try a wooden pick though!

THIS! i've wanted to order some for SOOO long now, just never get around to ordering them... i feel stupid paying for shipping just for picks.
Quote by GrisKy
THIS! i've wanted to order some for SOOO long now, just never get around to ordering them... i feel stupid paying for shipping just for picks.

I know what you mean - Especially considering they cost so much that I'd only buy one until I was sure I liked it, its like ordering a 0.1g parcel or something....
My huge-ass finger covers any artwork on the pick anyway So I don't really care about the artwork. My personal favorites are the Dunlop 0.88mm and 1.14mm tortex picks. They wear out after a few months, but the grip is fantastic. I also hate those big picks...I find it a lot easier to do pinch harmonics with small picks.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
I like picks with sharks on them!

Edit:
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Oct 27, 2009,
^^lol

i have some mtv picks which i dont use and like 12 jimi hendrix picks which i dont really use
Quote by tubetime86
I like picks with sharks on them!

Edit:

Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
My band got picks with our logo on them and its actually about the same price as getting the picks blank from a store. They arent crappy ones either. They have a powder coat on them that becomes tacky when you sweat so you dont loose the pick. Pretty boss actually.
Quote by xxdarrenxx

You know music is like 100% sound right?

Affordable prices on Logo designs and band merch. PM me for details.

Obligatory band link \/
www.myspace.com/resetred
i dont get the special picks thing
your holding them, and no one sees them
(unless you throw your picks to the crowed at the end of the show. i think its wastful, but i dont gig much)
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Quote by Roxor_Mc0wnage
My band got picks with our logo on them and its actually about the same price as getting the picks blank from a store. They arent crappy ones either. They have a powder coat on them that becomes tacky when you sweat so you dont loose the pick. Pretty boss actually.

Thats cool man, my band has some like that too. Where did you get yours made? We got ours from Clayton picks. Their awesome for playing, but the image does rub off pretty easily.
Quote by thetoastinator
Thats cool man, my band has some like that too. Where did you get yours made? We got ours from Clayton picks. Their awesome for playing, but the image does rub off pretty easily.

I love em, so does the other guitarist in my band. We got them from InTune guitar picks. 2mm I think. You buy them by the gross, so we have a ton of them, but you can play with them, throw them out, sell em, give them away, drill holes in them and make earrings...all kinds of stuff. Its just another step in merchandising.
Quote by xxdarrenxx

You know music is like 100% sound right?

Affordable prices on Logo designs and band merch. PM me for details.

Obligatory band link \/
www.myspace.com/resetred