O.K., I am writing an unrequited love song, which I think has some solid lyrics and a good melody. The only issue I am having is trying to figure out how to change the melody and chord progression when transitioning from the verse to the bridge to the chorus. Does anybody have any advise on how to choose chords and melody changes? I am trying to keep the song in a minor key.
well i would say u could switch to the relative major but u wanna stay in minor so maybe a 5 of 3 or 5 of 5 chord
depending what chord ur using a 5 of 3 would be g maj going to cm 5 of 5 would be bmaj to e maj
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by selkies
well i would say u could switch to the relative major but u wanna stay in minor so maybe a 5 of 3 or 5 of 5 chord
depending what chord ur using a 5 of 3 would be g maj going to cm 5 of 5 would be bmaj to e maj

whatttt
Quote by Martindecorum
whatttt

Yeah......he lost me on that one too................
Quote by Riffdex
well you guys should learn some music theory then :/

I know music theory.......what I don't know is what he means by 5 of 3 or 5 of 5.
Is he talking intervals?.....relative scales?......or the modes relative to the scale,
I-Ionian, II-Dorian, III-Phrygian......etc?
I'd say switch to the major voicing of the key (if its Am, go to C, etc.). Or if you're determined to stay in the minor, I'd switch to maybe a different key. If its in Am, go to like Dm or Em, with the same chord progression as the verse but transposed to the new key.

What I might do is keep the verse chord progression for the chorus, but bring the melody up a few notes. Not a whole octave, but a few notes and the same or similar pattern.

It would help to know the chord progression, though.
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club