Page 1 of 2
I was thinking about this last time I visited home from my University and saw my cats and dogs. I mean, they seemed like they were happy to see me, but do animals actually experience emotions such as fondness? Or do they just associate your scent with warmth and food?

On one hand, it makes sense that they remember that you're the person that feeds them, provides them shelter, generates heat when they sit on you, etc, and therefore they hang around you to stay on your good side and keep the good things coming- survival instincts instead of actual friendliness. And I was inclined to lean toward this point of view for a while, but this video was one of the first things that really got me wondering about the subject.

Any thoughts?
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Its not so black and white. Animals have emotions too, im sure they hate some people and love others
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Well, my life was apparently ended by mermaids, so I guess not.

I think they do, since they grow fond of certain people, but if a person abuses animals, it's behavior changes, but that could also be because it sees that person as a threat.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Last edited by DimebagLivesOn at Oct 27, 2009,
Quote by DempseyPunk
Its not so black and white. Animals have emotions too, im sure they hate some people and love others

Well that raises an interesting point as well. My dad doesn't like cats, so he always used to stare at ours or stomp at them if they got too close. Eventually they learned to steer clear of him.

Do they dislike him? Or is it simply those survival instincts again?

Does anyone have a pet that seems to hate or like a particular person for no logical reason?
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Well, my life was apparently ended by mermaids, so I guess not.

I think they do, since they grow fond of certain people, but if a person abuses animals, it's behavior changes, but that could also be because it sees that person as a threat.

Murmaider, murmaider!...
NRANNHLEILR
OETYSI LRNYS
TATOENYSGM
HLENEGMNRA
IL RENRAOET
NYSCOETTAT
GMAATATHLE

To me. Try, you know you want to^

Puberty
Quote by Will Swanson
I was surprised the first time I came. It shot two feet into the air. I couldn't stop laughing.
That video made me cry. I loved it.

And yes, I think animals like us when they are treated nicely! I love my dog... I'm so scared about living without him and he's really old!
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Well that raises an interesting point as well. My dad doesn't like cats, so he always used to stare at ours or stomp at them if they got too close. Eventually they learned to steer clear of him.

Do they dislike him? Or is it simply those survival instincts again?

Does anyone have a pet that seems to hate or like a particular person for no logical reason?

My dog hates my cousin, and hes done nothing wrong. I think they have the mental capabilities to feel emotions, as most animals kept as pets are pretty intelligent. I could be wrong, but thats what i think
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by Kosh H

Quote by WantsLesPaul

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Quote by Canseqo
Murmaider, murmaider!...

That brings back memories of the concert.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
They sure as hell better not, or that steak wrapped in bacon that i had earlier will be in vain
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
There was a short story by jack london called "To build a fire" which follows a man in the alaskan wilderness followed by his dog. As the man begins to suffer due to the expose to the climate and his inability oi return to his camp, the dog abandons him and returns to whom London refers to as "other food and fire providers"
Probably. It's natural to have feelings of closeness to the ones that give you food and shelter.

However, Fido isn't licking your face to give you "kisses", he wants the salt that's naturally on your skin.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
Quote by DempseyPunk

Just because they are colour blind dosnt mean you have to make fun of them...black and white pft -_-
------------------------------------------------------------------------
your insane, but reasonable
Quote by diminishedtobme
There was a short story by jack london called "To build a fire" which follows a man in the alaskan wilderness followed by his dog. As the man begins to suffer due to the expose to the climate and his inability oi return to his camp, the dog abandons him and returns to whom London refers to as "other food and fire providers"

thats depressing...

i much prefer the picture of the dead dude in a body bag with his sad dog laying next to him.

Its disturbing, but heartwarming....maybe im just f*cked up
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by Kosh H

Quote by WantsLesPaul

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Quote by DempseyPunk
im sure they hate some people and love others

THAT IS FOR SURE

Domesticated animals have individual personalities and hence get along with some people and animals better than others. I've never really thought about this, but am pretty sure they have the capacity for affection. I've had animals all my life and have been given a lot of love from my pets. Could it be that I'm assigning human qualities to animals incorrectly? Perhaps. I'm not worse off for it, though.
Quote by diminishedtobme

I've read a few of Jack London's longer stories. The Call of the Wild was one of them, I think. It was a while ago. They all seem to be about dogs and set way up north.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
i like to think my doggie wuvs me

i had to leave for college, and we've had my Boxer since she was about 6 months old, and now shes 7. when i left and didn't come back my mom told me that she had refused to eat and would stay by the window and watch outside to see if i was pulling up in the driveway because she thought i was dead i suppose (her best friend doggie died when she was about 2 or 3 years old, and she saw her as her mom since she was around every since she was born, so she understood the concept of death i think), so i have to visit home every so often to play with her so that she continues eating and doesn't think im dead.
I'm fairly sure some animals form connections with people. We're animals, we can feel fondness for animals of other species. And penguins form relationships with each other, I think I remember hearing that.

Lizards don't love people, presumably because they don't really form tribes or anything among themselves, but they're awesome enough to get away with that.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Oct 27, 2009,
Quote by GodofCheesecake
I've read a few of Jack London's longer stories. The Call of the Wild was one of them, I think. It was a while ago. They all seem to be about dogs and set way up north.

Lol, they're all like that.
Livewire - Great story! I have a very similar situation with my dog! I miss him a lot...
Quote by Iivewire

i had to leave for college, and we've had my Boxer since she was about 6 months old, and now shes 7. when i left and didn't come back my mom told me that she had refused to eat and would stay by the window and watch outside to see if i was pulling up in the driveway because she thought i was dead i suppose (her best friend doggie died when she was about 2 or 3 years old, and she saw her as her mom since she was around every since she was born, so she understood the concept of death i think), so i have to visit home every so often to play with her so that she continues eating and doesn't think im dead.

I do not know the extent of an animal's emotion or thought capabilities, but I am 100% sure that dogs, or any other animals, do not understand the concept of death. Do you even understand the concept of death? It is very hard to fathom.
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Quote by namesroverrated
I do not know the extent of an animal's emotion or thought capabilities, but I am 100% sure that dogs, or any other animals, do not understand the concept of death. Do you even understand the concept of death? It is very hard to fathom.

i didnt mean it like that dude. i just meant that she understood that it meant that she knew would never see her again and that she's gone forever, and she probably thought i was dead too (meaning that she thought i was gone forever)
I think so, as long as you treat them right.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
My dog loves me to bits
But it's all a good relationship tbh I know it sounds weird to say that about a dog but when we got out dog about 3 years ago I've always been really involved with him and you can see that he appreciates that.
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
I do think that dogs and cats form connections. All the animals that I have at home are always overly affectionate when I come home from college. And I'm not the one that feeds them.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
OK asshat TS, thanks for making me cry like a

On topic. it's been proven that cats will go to people who like cats.
My friend had two Chihuahuas, one male, the other female. The male died and the female got so depressed she rufused to eat anything. They had to take her to the vet to get her to eat, but eventually with enough attention given to it, she improved. So I think dogs have some sense that their companion is no longer with them.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
If I were to lock both my wife and my dog in the trunk of my car for an hour, I know one who would be happy to see me when I let them out.
Quote by Iivewire

awwwwwwww I haz a boxer aswell
Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Speakers
i like to think that animals have emotions, even if theyre crude ones. i mean, if they only get excited when they see you cuz they associate you with food, thats not too far away from us. we become happy when we see friends and family only because, subconsciously, we associate them with some sort of award (laughter, food, warmth, companionship, protection, etc). so all in all, i think its safe to say animals feel like us. they just dont communicate it or make it into such a complicated social system like we do.
"Art is the proper task of man" - Friedrich Nietzsche

There is no god, there is only The Doors...Opeth...and IWABO (the unholy trinity)

great vid... *sniffles*
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
OK asshat TS, thanks for making me cry like a

On topic. it's been proven that cats will go to people who like cats.

Maybe the exception, but when my cousin calls to visit, our cat always goes to her. And she hates cats, in fact she's a little scard of them.

Maybe the cat enjoys scaring her
Relationships between humans and animals work so well because the human can project their own feelings onto the animal - ie, the animal feels what the human thinks it does, as far as the human is concerned. This is why you stay the fuck away from women with more than 2 cats - because the cats are replacing social relationships with people.

This also explains the phenomenon of war brides - Americans who found wives in Vietnam (obviously, this principal is going to apply to many other historical happenings) thought they'd found the perfect relationship - each partner was projecting their feelings onto the other. Once the Vietnamese woman could speak a bit of English, the relationship folded.

I think this also, to a lesser degree, helps to explain the phenomenon of 'falling in love'. I haven't thought much about this and plan to think more about it in the future. Hopefully I'll come up with something organised and valid
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
my dog is a needy little git, who is constantly looking for me to play with him. i think he uses me for walks and stuff, but when i get from uni, he genuinely seems happy to see me

as for my cat, he just hates my guts. seriously. attacks me whenever i walk past, for no good reason. he has issues i fear
Quote by GodofCheesecake
I was thinking about this last time I visited home from my University and saw my cats and dogs. I mean, they seemed like they were happy to see me, but do animals actually experience emotions such as fondness? Or do they just associate your scent with warmth and food?

On one hand, it makes sense that they remember that you're the person that feeds them, provides them shelter, generates heat when they sit on you, etc, and therefore they hang around you to stay on your good side and keep the good things coming- survival instincts instead of actual friendliness. And I was inclined to lean toward this point of view for a while, but this video was one of the first things that really got me wondering about the subject.

Any thoughts?

I have a pet elephant and found this hilarious.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

My dove loves me. It even told me so. It also told me to follow the teachings of jesus.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I think in general dogs like people and cats simply tolerate people.
🙈 🙉 🙊
I had a worm with a false sense of grandour who kept telling me to eat the fruit from the forbidden tree. He later went on to join the KKK....we don't speak anymore.
Page 1 of 2