basicaly im looking for a good noise suppressor. I play metalcore at loud volumes through a boosted framus cobra, soo i get quite a bit of feedback. My brother has the ns-2 and i tryed it, its ok but it isnt a tight cut off, sounds a bit sloppy on tighter riffs. ive heard good thing about the isp though. any thoughts?
ISP is the way to go.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
the NS-2 has better features. Threshold and Decay and a mute which keeps the noise suppressor on but when you press the footswitch it mutes it just in case you need to unplug something. So it keeps noise reduction with a mute feature. Need a couple of more cables to use it in a pedalboard but its worth it. Most of the pro's use it not the ISP
Quote by Trivium7
Most of the pro's use it not the ISP

Because Boss is more willing to give people better endorsement deals because they are a bigger company who has more money to spend.

The ISP doesn't suck your tone like the Boss does.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Because Boss is more willing to give people better endorsement deals because they are a bigger company who has more money to spend.

amen!

...and thanks for saying it MC... apparently everytime I say it, I'm a dick, but when someone else says it it's ok.
the boss one is fine , i dont notice much tone loss at all and i have a great ear, sure the isp is better but if set up right the mxr and the boss are both great aswell and easier on the wallet
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by Harvesterofsrrw
the boss one is fine , i dont notice much tone loss at all and i have a great ear, sure the isp is better but if set up right the mxr and the boss are both great aswell and easier on the wallet

Any tone loss is too much for me. Not so sure about your ears, because the tone loss with my NS-2 was massive.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by MatrixClaw

Boss doesn't give the players that use the NS-2 any endorsment deals. They just use the pedal because they want to. I'm seeing more and more big name players using the Decimator now though. But a lot still use the NS-2.
I have both, like both and use both. So it's really just up to the player to decide.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
You can get the ISP G-string. It is awesome. Seriously. I used a boss for a while, and quit using it just because I was not satisfied.

I ordered the ISP G-string without using it, just because of what people had said online. No regrets at all.
I like the Decimator but it does suck a little tone as well. It is hard to find a noise suppressor that doesnt suck SOME tone. ALthough it is very little, someone with an ear WILL notice. BUT, the alternative(feedback, and noisy high gain amps) isnt an option for me, I need a decimator and it works very well
I'll just throw out the MXR SmartGate as a third option. It has the Gate and Threshold controls as well as 'Hiss' selector. I did a demo of it recently and most people could not tell when it was on and off. I think I deleted that clip though off of my profile. I don't use it anymore so I'm selling it for $70 to any UG'r. Normally they are are $115. (shameless plug)

I've never played through the Boss or the ISP but most people on here swear by the ISP.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'll just throw out the MXR SmartGate as a third option. It has the Gate and Threshold controls as well as 'Hiss' selector. I did a demo of it recently and most people could not tell when it was on and off. I think I deleted that clip though off of my profile. I don't use it anymore so I'm selling it for $70 to any UG'r. Normally they are are $115. (shameless plug)

I've never played through the Boss or the ISP but most people on here swear by the ISP.
Is it possible to do another one?

I also heard good things about the Rocktron Hush.
You can hear clips of the isp at the website. Sounds pretty damn good. Cuts out all noise.

The only question I have, is someone recommended the G-string pedal over the Rack "unless you run 2 heads"

is there any reason why for that?
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Quote by maddnotez
You can hear clips of the isp at the website. Sounds pretty damn good. Cuts out all noise.

The only question I have, is someone recommended the G-string pedal over the Rack "unless you run 2 heads"

is there any reason why for that?

311, thanks for mentioning the smartgate... everyone seems to forget that one.

mad, think you're talking about the decimator rack pro G vs. the decimator G pedal... a common misconception is that because the DPRG has two channels, it's meant to be run in the loops of two amps. you caaaann do that, but its intended purpose is to allow you to gate both your front-end and loop while also maintaining a constant signal throughout, something that no pedal, regardless of "x-pattern" this or "hiss" that is capable of, not even isp's other gates. the process is a bit technical, but to keep it simple (and because it's proprietary and i'd probably **** it up by making assumptions), the DPRG's first channel is designed to eliminate 60sch and external noises (noisy pickups, bleeding cables, stage lights, noisy OD pedal, etc.), while the second channel is constantly monitoring your direct signal (that is, it's tracking what the first channel is "hearing"). they call it "time vector processing" or some shit like that... basically, it means bothe channels were made to work together on one amp.

in other words, running two heads is irrelivant to the pro rack G, but it's an easy mistake to make... iSP is definately going by a different playbook than everyone else.

EDIT: mad, where did you see the comment about "two heads?"
Last edited by GrisKy at Oct 28, 2009,
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Is it possible to do another one?

I also heard good things about the Rocktron Hush.

If I find it, I'll upload it.

When I said, you can't tell the difference the demo was more about tone sucking and I was trying to demo how little tone was sucked

I also have another demo of it actually cutting pedal noise. I have not been successful in getting my SmartGate to shut down feedback, but then again I didn't buy it for that reason. Cutting pedal noise would be in my New Pedal Day demo Yo clip.
Quote by Van Noord
Boss doesn't give the players that use the NS-2 any endorsment deals. They just use the pedal because they want to.

90% of the people who use them though use other Boss pedals. Of course Boss isn't going to give an endorsement just because they use one of their pedals, they use many
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
90% of the people who use them though use other Boss pedals. Of course Boss isn't going to give an endorsement just because they use one of their pedals, they use many
Well, I don't know about that. I do know that Boss endorses very few musicians though.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Decimator. All the way.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Quote by MatrixClaw

I'm going to have to disagree with you here, MC. I stand firm in my beliefs that it does not alter your tone. I've used an NS-2 for several years and never noticed a difference in my tone with the pedal as opposed to without the pedal.

I'll admit that it does kill your sustain if you don't have it set right, but it isn't the tone sucking monster that everyone wants to make it out to be.

Quote by GrisKy
amen!

...and thanks for saying it MC... apparently everytime I say it, I'm a dick, but when someone else says it it's ok.

People don't think you're a dick because you're trying to make a point that differs from theirs. People think you're a dick because of your condescending "I know everything and you're just a stupid noob" attitude.

Quote by MatrixClaw

On the contrary, MC. For most of the people who use the NS-2, its the only Boss pedal on there board. Sometimes you'll run into someone with a Boss chorus or EQ along with their NS-2, but mostly you find it paired with Maxon or Ibanez pedals.
i_am_metalhead vs. GrisKy

Round 2

Fight!
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite

Round 2

Fight!

Honestly, I'm not trying to fight with anyone here, Mikey. We all have our own opinions and we all perceive things differently than one another. Like I said, its all about his attitude and how he acts toward other UG members.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Honestly, I'm not trying to fight with anyone here, Mikey. We all have our own opinions and we all perceive things differently than one another. Like I said, its all about his attitude and how he acts toward other UG members.

i know you're not ,i'm just poking a little fun at the situation. you guys went at it for a bit in the last ns-2 vs isp thread so i kinda laughed a bit when i saw this thread, basically a carbon copy of that one.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
another thread down in flames

(I thought you guys called a truce so why get into it again?)

TS - if you are interested in a SmartGate demo let me know.

Exactly. I personally use the NS-2 in my rig and I have no problems. If it doesn't work for someone else then it doesn't work for them. I'm just saying that from my experience it isn't as bad as everyone on UG makes it out to be (along with a lot of gear, for that matter )

There will never be a piece of gear that is truly better than another piece of gear - it all just depends on what you're after and what else is already in your rig.

They really need to put some sort of filter in so when you're starting a thread it doesn't let you post things like "NS-2", "Decimator", "MG", "Spider", etc. etc.
I'll leave this open for now, for the TS sake, but let's try to keep the arguing/flaming to a minimum.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
i'm confused, are you trying to pick a fight metalhead? because you've made three posts since my last, and i haven't said a damn thing to you, yet you want to quote 311 and make it sound as if i've ruined this thread. what gives?

ns2 works for you, ****in' great. doesn't work for me. goodbye.
Quote by GrisKy
i'm confused, are you trying to pick a fight metalhead? because you've made three posts since my last, and i haven't said a damn thing to you, yet you want to quote 311 and make it sound as if i've ruined this thread. what gives?

ns2 works for you, ****in' great. doesn't work for me. goodbye.

If you go back and read my posts you will see that I clearly stated that I'm not trying to fight with you (or any other UG member for that matter). And I never implied that you ruined this thread (or that anyone ruined this thread) - 311 is the one who made that statement.

I was just stating that you're a bit brash and condescending with your posts and thats why you catch so much flack from people around here.

So lets drop all of the stupid bullshit - we're all here to help each other out, not to turn this into a big free for all battle of wits.
Quote by mikeyElite

Round 2

Fight!

if you look close you can see Uma Therman and Steve Young.
Quote by GrisKy
if you look close you can see Uma Therman and Steve Young.

Why are you trying to spot celebrities when you have a hot ring girl right in front of you??

TS - bottom line is there are several gates to chose from based on budget and availability. Personally, I want an ISP because....well because. My SmartGate was $111 so an ISP Decimator for a bit more would have been a better option possibly. My SmartGate is now in the Gear Sales section at $70. Thanks. Not because it doesn't work, but because my rig is a pretty quiet one actually and I don't gig or anything so.

Will....this may have caused some friction

Quote by i_am_metalhead

People don't think you're a dick because you're trying to make a point that differs from theirs. People think you're a dick because of your condescending "I know everything and you're just a stupid noob" attitude.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 29, 2009,
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Why are you trying to spot celebrities when you have a hot ring girl right in front of you??

oh don't worry, i took ime to notice her too