Me and a guitarist have decided to cover Rhapsody - Dawn of War and I'm doing pretty good with it actually. only one part is giving me real trouble. There's a fast triplet run and everything is good until the last two triplets. i've decided to sweep it with my thumb and that is helping. only problem is that I have to bar the 10th fret on the E and A strings and this makes the last triplet quite muddled because my pinky lays across the other strings and i'm having trouble getting it out of the way fast enough. I'm hoping you guys might be able to come up with a more economic way of playing it since i can't think of anything.

Here's the song. the part is at 3:35 so you can get a good idea of the speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDfWyGMcwPI
yes...a LoR vid but it's good sound quality

and here is how i'm playing it.

Gl---------------------7-13----12------l
Dl------------------9--------------------l
Al--------------10-----------------------l
El------7H10----------------------------l
Bl---8------------------------------------l
M I P P R I P R
Last two notes are not part of the triplet but i have to be able to get to them quickly so i added them in too.

I come to you because you will understand the fret spacing better than all the guitarists in the tablature forum. Just can't do the crazy long fret spans like guitarists do ya know.

Any help is appreciated.

35" scale btw but that's not really important.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Oct 27, 2009,
if its a sweep you dont bar every string should be muted immediatly after being played
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Yes, I'd love not to bar it but how would i manage this. I tried doing the hammer on with index ring but then it's hard to get my pink onto the next string.

I also tried sweeping the first triplet low one the E A and D strings then coming up for the next triplet but no matter how hard i tried I just could'nt get my thumb to come back fast enough.

EDIT for information: I'm not having trouble with the note ringing through when I bar. it's just that I'm no longer fretting with the tip of my pinky for that note so it lays across the other strings muting them slightly.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
I'd personally play it with a stretch from the 8th to 12th
Gl-----------------------------13----12--l
Dl--------------------9h12---------------l
Al---------------10-----------------------l
El----------10----------------------------l
Bl--8h12---------------------------------l
Yeah, something I said once was epic, I have proof:
Quote by bowdyyz69
aha that was epic

Also:
Quote by Kensai
Yeah I was hoping for robotsex.
Screw context.
I was playing with that idea. having issues with my thumb wanting to hit the first two strings right away but that's becuase i've been practicing the other way. this does let me use my index then middle for the 10 10 though. may be the best option...doesn't help that this is the first upward sweeping I've ever really worked on>.<

any other thoughts?
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Take it slow, and try finger picking it. You don't need to sweep this, even though it might look cool. Practice for a few hours at a really slow tempo, and then gradually up it until you reach the desired tempo. In fact, if you sweep it like RockingBassist advised you should be able to mute the ringing strings with something other than your pinky and still make a decent sweep lick out of it. My advice is just to practice it much slower, and then work your way up to speed until you have it clear.

But I don't play bass. However I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Quote by rocking bassist
I'd personally play it with a stretch from the 8th to 12th
Gl-----------------------------13----12--l
Dl--------------------9h12---------------l
Al---------------10-----------------------l
El----------10----------------------------l
Bl--8h12---------------------------------l

This. I find this to be the easiest method for sweeping a major arpeggio. The middle finger tends to have an easier time barring the 10th fret than the pinky does, it also keeps the hand in a more consistent position.

Sweeping takes some practice to get used to, and feels awkward for a while, so don't rush it. Over time it will feel better, and eventually you don't even have to think about it.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
Last edited by Hobble at Oct 27, 2009,
hahahaha. (to bumper's last bit)

anyway, i tried playing it fingerstyle and just couldn't get my fingers to move across the strings fluidly on the last triplet. The sweep was cleaner than my fingerstyle on that part, and considering i don't practice sweeping that tells you how sloppy it was with my fingers.

Having some issues with the 8h12 because it's just at the farthest reach of my pinky without moving my hand. bit more practice and I may have it. we'll see. supposed to record it on sunday so i got a lot of work to do. I've probably already put over 4hours practice in on that one partover the last couple days, and that's not an exaggeration. only stop when my hands get sore>.<
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
cannot sweep with a pick. tried many times in the past and i'm much better already with my thumb so why make it harder on myself. also there's no way I could play the part right before it with a pick. gotta use my 3 finger technique. I just don't practice much with a pick.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian