Hey ya

basiclly my squire bullet strat broke and i'm gettin a new guitar :P

so basilcly the quiestoin is which one? i've been lookin at the Ibanez RG320PG-P1 and also the S470DXQM, so i was wonderin in which was the better and also if there were anyother guitars that i should look in to. I play like the emo, grudge stuff.
I have the RG and it's a great guitar,I love it.The only problem's the edge bridge.Works fine but after awhile the knife edges wear out (had mine just over a year and it's starting to go).Not a big job to fix.Haven't played the S470DXQM but it look good on paper.Play them both and others to see what one YOU like best.Just remember with locking trems you can't change tunings without having to re-do the set up, eg standard tuning to dropped D
If you like the feel of the S then you should probably go for that. The ZR trem is infinitely more superior than the Edge III Ibanez uses on their low-mid range RGs.

If you don't mind going used then you should look around for used MIJ stuff. For the price of that Indonesian S you could pick up a Japanese RG.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Dont you think going from a squire bullet to a prestige is too big of a jump...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by Tatsumaru
Are you talking to me?

No, I don't. A guitar's still a guitar whether it was made in Indonesia or Japan. It's just that the Japanese one will be the better investment.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
i was actually talking to the OP ... Without being a prick ... i assumed that since the op is playing a bullet strat at the moment he is probably a beginner or intermediate player. I dont think its wise to invest in an expensive guitar if your not that good a player.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by Tatsumaru
i was actually talking to the OP ... Without being a prick ... i assumed that since the op is playing a bullet strat at the moment he is probably a beginner or intermediate player. I dont think its wise to invest in an expensive guitar if your not that good a player.

Why not? Having a great guitar only stimulates more and is better/easier to learn on.
I bought a ESP Horizon NT-II while only playing 7 months, it has increased my skill tremendously and I enjoy playing more, because im not annoyed by imperfections of the guitar. If you can afford it and if you're dedicated to guitar just buy it.
Quote by Tatsumaru

???? Neither of those models are prestige. Look them up on google if you didn't know.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
???? Neither of those models are prestige. Look them up on google if you didn't know.
That's why I thought he was talking to me. I suggested MIJ Ibbys and to some people those automatically = Prestige.

Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by ch0

If you don't mind going used then you should look around for used MIJ stuff. For the price of that Indonesian S you could pick up a Japanese RG.

Some great advice right here. Go older model MIJ. Those things kick ass and are the equivalent to prestiges nowadays

Tatsumaru said the stuff about the prestige because of the title of the thread.

I thought that was a huge jump as well. Going from a squier bullet to a prestige. I had to play my squier for years, before I could jump to an RG320. Now I got an S series and a MIJ RG so I am perfectly content with the axes I have at the moment.
going from a lowend guitar to a highend guitar is never to big of a jump, you`ll be grateful you left out the mediocre tosh in the middle and actually own some pro level equipment.

the models listed aren`t prestige (between the 2 the S470 is the better guitar)

your best option is going 2nd hand with a rg550 if you can find one.
I have owned an RG550 for 16 years and an S470FM for 13.... both bought in the original grunge/alternative era.
In my honest opinion the RG550 is a far better guitar, has more "life" to it and the neck is to die for. You will need to put better pickups in either of these guitars, the standard Ibanez ones don't quite cut it. DiMarzio Air Norton/Steve's specials will make it scream with beautiful tone.

I play in a covers band and play every week, both guitars got plenty of use but the RG550 was always the first one I'd pick up, in the end the S470 got sold when I bought my Les Paul as it wasn't getting played. The RG550 still gets played every gig - always stays in tune, the H/C/H pickup configuration is more versatile and have I mentioned the neck?

That's my personal opinion/experience. Hope it helps.
Quote by ch0
That's why I thought he was talking to me. I suggested MIJ Ibbys and to some people those automatically = Prestige.

It says ibanez presteige in the title =.=
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka

Quote by Tatsumaru
It says ibanez presteige in the title =.=
No, it doesn't. Nor does he talk about any Prestige guitars in his original post. Just mid-range stuff.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by ch0
No, it doesn't. Nor does he talk about any Prestige guitars in his original post. Just mid-range stuff.

Well, it does say "pretage".

Personally I think the TS should spend some time on his english >_>

But between the 2 in the OP, I'd go with the S because of the trem and finish, more or less. Other than form factor and trem, they are basically identical.
first - yes i'm bad at spelling cus i'm dyslecix :p

and i know now its not a prestige it was mistake. i'm thinking i'm going to go with the RG but i heard that the kinfe edge somtimes wheres out so does anyone know if its easy to replace and like hard hoard it would be?
it`s just a case of grinding them to sharpen them up when they do wear down, there`s nothing wrong with your spelling if peeps understand you that`s what counts, my brother is dyslexic and he`s a college lecturer...
Quote by iplaywithfire^^
Hey ya

basically my squire bullet strat broke and i'm getting a new guitar :P

so basically the question is which one? i've been lookin at the Ibanez RG320PG-P1 and also the S470DXQM, so i was wonderin in which was the better and also if there were anyother guitars that i should look in to. I play like the emo, grunge stuff.

Well, do any of the bands you listen to use any big pitch raises? If not, I'd suggest NOT getting one of these guitars, because the bridges are a pain in the ass and are not worth it if you won't be using it fairly regularly.

And don't worry about the spelling, it was still readable. I hate when people purposely type shorthand on forums like it's a chat room. You did good, kid
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Oct 28, 2009,
Well I have only 2007 made Ibanez VBT-700, V body guitar
DiMarzio pickups sound AWESOME with distortion, I think Xiphos has those pickups
Recommending DiMarzio pickup stuff, seriously
My gear:
Guitars:
- Ibanez VBT-700
Amplifiers:
- Marshall DSL401
Quote by oneblackened
Well, do any of the bands you listen to use any big pitch raises? If not, I'd suggest NOT getting one of these guitars, because the bridges are a pain in the ass and are not worth it if you won't be using it fairly regularly.

And don't worry about the spelling, it was still readable. I hate when people purposely type shorthand on forums like it's a chat room. You did good, kid

mmh you have a point they don't what would you recommend then? cus i really like the wizard neck of the Ibanez as well, but i've heard that the pick ups aren't the best.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.