I'm a bit confused about this term. I understand it means sacrificing artistic integrity for financial gain. But can it be used for someone who's only in the music industry for money in the first place?
No it can't.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
You actually have to ask that? If you have no integrity in the first place, what do you have to "sell out" for the promise of more money?
I actually think it would be really hard to sell out.
It's really hard for me to make music I don't like. The music I make is what I feel and what comes to me. I'm lucky anything comes to me at all.
Quote by Second Rate
You actually have to ask that? If you have no integrity in the first place, what do you have to "sell out" for the promise of more money?
But can a band be referred to as a 'sellout' from the start of their career? I have heard people do that and I'm not sure if it's a legit term
Name a modern-rock-band that hasn't at least seemed to sell out...bands I know of are...

Shinedown, Godsmack, Creed, Nickelback, Default, Metallica, Linkin Park, etc. I mean, one of the FEW bands i'll give credit to for doing the opposite, is Pearl Jam...but...their music blows now, lol. They say they "evolve"...but I dunno.
Wants: PRS Starla
Quote by neidnarb11890
^Don't Pearl Jam have an exclusive deal with Target now? Seems like a sell out to me.

You could be right...but I at least was referring musically. They're also the band who sued Ticketmaster to lower ticket prices for us.
Wants: PRS Starla
Quote by weewilly79
Name a modern-rock-band that hasn't at least seemed to sell out...bands I know of are...
Rage Against the Machine? Their motive was (almost) purely political
Last edited by 1nSingularity at Oct 30, 2009,
Quote by weewilly79
You could be right...but I at least was referring musically. They're also the band who sued Ticketmaster to lower ticket prices for us.

Sorry - I just have to post because of my utter hatred for ticket master... and their "CONVENIENCE" fees. CONVENIENT FOR YOU ASSHOLES NOT ME.
Quote by weewilly79

Shinedown, Godsmack, Creed, Nickelback, Default, Metallica, Linkin Park, etc. I mean, one of the FEW bands i'll give credit to for doing the opposite, is Pearl Jam...but...their music blows now, lol. They say they "evolve"...but I dunno.

HAHAHA this made me laugh. Creed never had any musical integrity, neither did Nickelback. They're both unapologetic careerists that do what they do (and have stated so on record) for little reason other than monetary gain.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by willT08
No, they're called Pop artists.

Exactly

many people think that as soon as a band changes their musical direction they are sell outs. then when a band doesn't change their sound they get hell for it. people cant seem to make up their minds. now if you change your style for money or popularity thats selling out. sometimes it obvious other times its not. its not like a death metal band is going to go metalcore, to alternetive, to pop. many people also get on to metallica to. sure they cut their hair and went from thrash metal to hard rock. but musicians should be allowed to explore all areas of music. look at jeff beck and Eric Clapton, they went from blues to rock to pop and back. are they sell outs?
jesus is chasing me with a golf club!!!