okay. i decided to record myself playing yesterday for the first time. im 15 as of 3 days ago.

i got me playing Horizons by Parkway Drive. i know i played it a little fast, but my camera can only record a short time so i had to make sure i got it all in :P so please dont comment on the overall speed being wrong. but please comment on unsteady rhythm if it's there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HppdNyAQ4U

comments and criticism please? much appreciated

thanks in advance.
oh, i was looking for comments on my technique specifically. but thanks. ill remember that section in future.
You sometimes anchor your pinky.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
I would say, try and keep your fingers off the body of your guitar, your moving your thumb and index finger quite a lot during the intro, try and allow more of a flow when using that many strings.

and my last tip would be not to hit your strings too hard, and dont fret them too hard either (but i cant tell that from the video)

when you did the open chord it just didnt sound very good, try and keep the strength of your picking consistent.

nice cover
looks and sounds good, but what do i know, ive only been playing for less than 2 years.
but yeah anyway it seems to flow nicely, not really a noticeable f-up.

.....cool.....
Quote by Bigaxmax
I would say, try and keep your fingers off the body of your guitar, your moving your thumb and index finger quite a lot during the intro, try and allow more of a flow when using that many strings.

and my last tip would be not to hit your strings too hard, and dont fret them too hard either (but i cant tell that from the video)

when you did the open chord it just didnt sound very good, try and keep the strength of your picking consistent.

nice cover

yeah, i know i pick pretty hard at times. i just think that attacking the strings suits heavy metal. maybe i shouldn't do it as much though. thanks.

and yeah i anchor my pink sometimes. with the intro, i can play it without the anchoring fine, but it feels more comfortable with it. i can get used to no anchoring though .

i find an open spread out hand more comfortable when i play. and because the song has a lot of palm muting my fingers end up just laying over the strings. just comfortabe. im not really applying any pressure and i dont feel it is limiting my movement.
Your left wrist shouldn't be bent as much as it is. Also, cool down on the strings, you're not trying to kill them:P
People will say so many different things that contradict each other, as I'm seeing with just the playing position. I find that you can't really tell a person how to position himself since that is something just so personal.
But anyways, with position, just a helpful tip. My guitar teacher has told me that picking hard, while keeping your volume a bit lower improves your sound and your control (which i've found to be true). Also, anchoring your fingers (Middle, Ring, and Pinky) on your guitar improves your control as well. He told me a good analogy. It's playing guitar without an anchor is the same as writing on a piece of paper while holding your arm and hand in the air. Your paper will probably move around as you write and your writing will be more sloppy.

But again, it's something you don't need to follow.
Quote by TheSound
He told me a good analogy. It's playing guitar without an anchor is the same as writing on a piece of paper while holding your arm and hand in the air. Your paper will probably move around as you write and your writing will be more sloppy.

Nope, not really. Your arm/foream still touches the guitar (but still, moving freely to keep the pick angle the same) if you don't anchor your picking hand. The paper analogy assumes only the pen touches the paper.

ON TOPIC: OP, your right hand technique appears to be unstable...maybe you can try experimenting with un-anchored playing. Keep up the good work.
Quote by Junior#1
Gilbert mutes with both hands. Palm muting and left hand muting. As for anchoring, he doesn't. He doesn't need to. After all, he's the creator of life, the universe, and everything.
Last edited by plainsight at Oct 27, 2009,
Quote by Freepower
Spell guitar right.

Lots of times during the intro you're lifting your index finger far higher than it needs to be but altogether not bad, no really big problems I can see.

oh lol. thanks for the typing error :PP

no big problems? so from what you can see, my anchoring isnt too bad?
Not too bad, around the same level of bad habit as your lifting index finger. Of course, if you really want to improve, I'd correct both of those across your next few practice sessions.