Hey, I am thinking about saving up some money to add a sound library to my Sonar 7 Producer and I want something to do my orchestral music pieces and have them sound realistic.

Link: http://www.eastwestsamples.com/details.php?cd_index=1128

I feel when I listen to the demos for the East West sound samples that these are not midi or anything, I feel like I am listening to a real orchestra.

What do you guys think about these sound libraries?
Has anyone any experiance with this?
Is it worth the money?
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
Last edited by Gulli05 at Oct 27, 2009,
The libraries from EWQL are some of the best in the industry, no exaggeration. There are only a few others that are on the same level, the others off the top of my head being Vienna, Sonivox, and Symphobia, and Symphobia is more of a specialty library than an all-bases-covered library, and LASS as a strictly strings library.

The EWQL Symphonic is awesome, the EWQL Pianos is the best piano library I've ever heard, the Choirs are awesome and are one, if not the very best choir library around, and Stormdrum 2 is an awesome percussion library with everything you'd expect for big orchestral or film score percussion sounds. It's one of the better perc libraries around.

Goliath, RA, and Voices of Passion are ones that I don't have, but I've listened to the demos, and know people who use them. They're on the same par of excellence as the rest of EWQL's libraries. Goliath is a complete palette of sounds like what you would get with a top-of-the-line workstation keyboard, only much higher quality. RA is ethnic sounds and VOP is solo female performances.

I wouldn't mind getting RA and VOP next. I have MOTU Ethno Instrument, but RA is way better.

If you buy this, you absolutely will use it for a long time and your quality will jump up quickly. Of course, your skills at programming good MIDI parts to get convincing performances, and having a knowledge of what the real instruments would be capable of and all their applications will take you to the next level with these sample libraries at your disposal.
I have the Symphonic Orchestra of that and I love it. One of my favorite VSTs I own. Some stuff sounds more real than others. Some you have to work with a bit but there's loads of ways in the plugin itself when it comes to modifying the sound.. and there's like 20-30 different instruments and there's anywhere from 3 to 30 different types of that instrument in each so there's 100s of sounds to choose from.. apart from brass and strings there's even percussion which sounds most excellent.

I'd love the complete composer collection but I don't have really any money at the moment.

Sounds like a great deal since the piano and orchestra ones are 500 each alone.. ooh all for over 50% off. no wonder.
I wish I would have seen this deal.. sheesh.
From these two answers I am pretty convinced... Yeah, the choir package I really want, you can create realistic lyrical singing in it.

Just wondering, would there be anyway to use the sounds from the library while playing live? (I ain't much a sound library expert but still trying to learn).
And with these wings

-Symphony X
Quote by Gulli05
From these two answers I am pretty convinced... Yeah, the choir package I really want, you can create realistic lyrical singing in it.

Just wondering, would there be anyway to use the sounds from the library while playing live? (I ain't much a sound library expert but still trying to learn).

If you had the library on a laptop or your PC is portable and you put it up on stage and run it into the PA and playback your project, and route a click to your drummer through a different output, or some variation on that kind of setup.
Quote by Matthias King
If you had the library on a laptop or your PC is portable and you put it up on stage and run it into the PA and playback your project, and route a click to your drummer through a different output, or some variation on that kind of setup.

Cool. Then I'll be pretty good. I have a laptop w/Sonar 7 Producer and a small and easily portible interface .

Thanks again guys. I am gonna go see what the price at my local music store is on this product!!!

Hopefully it is not going over the roof here in my country...

One more question, is this easy to use? I remember it took me quite a few months to get Sonar to work properly. Is this something I can install and get running well in like a month? (You know get all the sound working and such).
And with these wings

-Symphony X
Last edited by Gulli05 at Oct 28, 2009,
Well to just use it in a normal DAW then it's simple.

From my experience with the orchestra, I just installed it.. placed the .dll file in my plugins folder.. opened up the DAW and refreshed the VST list.. then selected it on a track and it opened up and I could play instantly.
It definitely takes some time to get real familiar with all the capabilities and really get good at getting everything you want from it, but to get it installed and up in running should only take you a couple days. The install is actually pretty simple and painless. Just takes a bit of time for the DVD's to copy the soundbanks onto your hard drive.

If you got the Platinum, which is about 3-4 times the size of Gold, it takes even longer. There are a ton of DVD's to copy.
Thanks guys. You've been great help.
And with these wings

-Symphony X