I have had this problem the last few weeks with my car, a '03 Buick Century. Basically, sometimes when I start/stop I get a weird feeling with my breaks. When I start to stop, my car seems like it will put on the emergency brake at 1mph and just stop the car really abruptly (well, or at least as abruptly as it can when going that slow). Then, when I start up, I will take my foot off the brake and nothing will happen, I will not roll forward like usual. I then will hit the gas and it feels like there is a heavy box in my backseat that topples over and my car will start going. I feel everything in the back so I don't think it's a problem with my engine or anything but has anyone ever heard of this? Maybe something to do with the back brakes? Time to get new ones? I was also thinking, I am about 2,000 miles over when I should have got my tires rotated, could that be an issue? Maybe my tires are just slipping?
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

your parking brake has seized in the drum brakes on the back. have all your brakes inspected and repaired, and the problem should be resloved.
Quote by djmay71
your parking brake has seized in the drum brakes on the back. have all your brakes inspected and repaired, and the problem should be resloved.

Never heard of it? Is that a common problem? My brakes are a little over two years old and make noises when I stop.
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
Never heard of it? Is that a common problem? My brakes are a little over two years old and make noises when I stop.

its an extremely common problem, reason being is that when a safety inspection is performed on a vehicle, all the inspector looks for is no frays or breaks in the emergency brake cable which leads to the front- they don't care about it once the cable enters the rear brake hub.

So, the last time you drove, it felt like something was holding your car back, almost literally, right? Then yes, it is what I explained, because that is what is literally happening. The emergency brakes are seized on the drum and making a high rolling resistance, decreasing your fuel milage at the same time.
Quote by djmay71
its an extremely common problem, reason being is that when a safety inspection is performed on a vehicle, all the inspector looks for is no frays or breaks in the emergency brake cable which leads to the front- they don't care about it once the cable enters the rear brake hub.

So, the last time you drove, it felt like something was holding your car back, almost literally, right? Then yes, it is what I explained, because that is what is literally happening. The emergency brakes are seized on the drum and making a high rolling resistance, decreasing your fuel milage at the same time.

and it would only be when my car starts and stops? Now that you mention it, I have noticed that I had to fill up a little earlier than usual this week. How much does this usually cost to fix?
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Originally Posted by WlCmToTheJungle

You sound like you don't know cars TS. Listen to this guy. As he's correct.

And you will notice it most at low speeds, and when you try to get the car moving. Driving around with brakes which are binding on will cause them to wear prematurely. And I think maybe screw up the bearings in the wheels due to the heat build up.
Before you spend any money on it try engaging the parking brake and while it is engaged put the car in reverse and back up about ten feet.. That sometimes cures the problem.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
Before you spend any money on it try engaging the parking brake and while it is engaged put the car in reverse and back up about ten feet.. That sometimes cures the problem.

So reverse while I have the parking brake on? Wouldn't that cause significant wear on the tires?
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
So reverse while I have the parking brake on? Wouldn't that cause significant wear on the tires?

Not for 10 feet or so. In reverse. The brakes are self adjusting and sometimes the adjusters stick.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
Not for 10 feet or so. In reverse. The brakes are self adjusting and sometimes the adjusters stick.

I would try this too. Definitely sounds like the rear brakes are the culprit.
Quote by Jackal58

yes, sometimes this does help---in Dodge vans!
If you've read TS' first message, he stated it was a Buick.
Bad idea, TS. Don't do it. Just get a drum brake kit (around $30) and have a mechanically inclined friend or friend of the family mechanic to take a look at the parking brake shoes.