I have spent the last 6 months building a guitar. I had to do it for my Individual Music project. Today I handed it in, and the class and the moderator commented that it "looks fantastic" and I should be "proud with myself". To be perfectly honest, I resent that guitar. I absolutley fucking hate it. There is nothing wrong with the guitar; it is simply the amount of effort I have put into it, I really started to not enjoy the project. It has progressed further, and honestly I dont care if I never see it again. But it was a pretty guitar. It worked, sounded fantastic and looked good. But on the other hand, I own a Schecter Omen Floyd Rose, and I love that guitar more than most things. I had to work for so long at my shitty job to afford it, and because of the work I did for it, rather than to it, I love it.

Does anybody else ever experience this post a build? Or am I just being a little odd?
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Seref
My genitals dangle limply in disgust and annoyance.
Sure. Not necessarily with Guitars, but just projects in general. It's a pretty common feeling you get after working your arse off on something that you don't feel was worth it.

There should be a name for it. Crafter's Remorse? I like that...
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
sounds reasonable, even though i've never built a guitar, but its a similar feeling when you hold your very first child. You feel like you don't deserve it, you feel brought down because of it, because of the responsibility.
Which can be applied in your case: You started building the guitar, thinking "You know, this is gonna be a kickass guitar", but as the project continued on and on, the novelty wore off and it was just another school project.
Quote by BassFishin
Sure. Not necessarily with Guitars, but just projects in general. It's a pretty common feeling you get after working your arse off on something that you don't feel was worth it.

same with me

I've worked on something for hours, just to finish it and be like

"...well this sucks."

pics of the guitar, though?
Quote by METAL_MAN135
I absolutley fucking hate it. There is nothing wrong with the guitar; it is simply the amount of effort I have put into it,
Quote by METAL_MAN135
I own a Schecter Omen Floyd Rose, and I love that guitar more than most things. I had to work for so long at my shitty job to afford it,
Quote by METAL_MAN135
am I just being a little odd?
Not a little. A lot.

Both required effort and sacrifice. Yet you hate the guitar you built because you put your effort directly in and you love you Schecter because your efforts were indirect. Odd doesn't begin to describe it.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by BassFishin

Yeah, good name
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
No I dont feel that at all, I'm anoyed I dont have the skill to finish it yet, but once it is finished I will love it, I've spent a lot of time on it and it will be worth it, my first build is designed by me for me, its all personal, the headstock design, the inlay, the swirl why would I never want to see something again that could not possibly be reproduced by a production line?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Maybe you feel that when you build a guitar, it's detrimental to your "relationship" with your favourite Schecter.

I've never built a guitar (although I'd like to), but I bought a Schecter C-1 Classic once and sold it 3 days later, because I felt kind of guilty for buying it.

Or maybe you just got bored from all the building.
Well, look at it this way: Likes and dislikes can change on a whim. That's why you're more likely to be satisfied with a purchased guitar.

Even if after months of looking at a guitar online, looking up reviews, starting to fall in love with the thing, when it comes down to it, you can change your mind at the last second right before you go up to the register/click 'Purchase' online. Hell, i've definitly done it!

The difference? Well, with that guitar that you built, you were stuck building one style/type/model of guitar the entire time you were doing it. There was no room for you to change your mind or make large adjustments, because that's just how building something like a guitar goes.

You can't change your mind at the last second before you decide to string it up, so any resentments you had about the thing will just turn into a general dislike of the guitar itself.

EDIT: Building the guitar? Marriage. Buying the guitar? Awesome fling that you can hit up for a booty call at any time.

I thought i'd add some tool-ish analogies to my otherwise well-thought out post.
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
Last edited by BassFishin at Oct 27, 2009,
I think part of it is the fact that you spent so much time with the guitar you built before you could even use it.

I'm with SYK... it is very odd. With everything i make, it's a joy to finish and i make sure before i start that it's something I will love.
Its probably because you had to build the guitar. If you'd done it purely for enjoyment you might have taken more time to do it. You could have put it down for a few weeks or months untill you had the urge to work on it. Even if 6 months is plenty of time to build a guitar, just the fact that at some point you would have to complete it probably made it feel more like a chore than a hobby.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
never with a guitar.. generally though i only work ahrd and put that much effort into things that matter to me.. so in the end i am proud of the amount of time and effort i put into it.

wereas things like.. essays.. alot of work and its like.. oh looke... a 57%... cool....

my first guitar took me three years,

legocaster originaly took me 2 and ahalf weeks,
the 2 guitars im working are taking 2months total.

it all depends really.
Every time you look at it you think of all the hours slaving away at the thing. I work at a really nice restaurant and one of the cooks is the same way, he spends all day making this delicious food, and when he gets a break what does he make for himself? a cup of noodles in the microwave. Yeah the food/guitar is amazing, but you are so annoyed by the creation process that you can't enjoy the product.
no sir away a papaya war is on
During some of the drawn out boring parts of it (wet sanding after each coat of finish, multiple times etc...) I start to wish I could just be done with the guitar I'm working on and start on my next project.

But thats about it. After my projects are done I treat them like their made of parts of my soul. People don't get to touch them unless I really trust them.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
I know the feeling. I get really pissed off after i spend a lot of time and money doing something whether it be making an expensive purchase because i think of what else i could have bought or spending a lot of time making anything, writing a song, making a recording, doing a drawing, buggering up a guitar etc but usually that's if i'm not satisfied with the result. Do you really think it's a good guitar? Or are you not quite satisfied with the result?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by -MintSauce-
I resent my RR24 build, because I put so much naive effort into it, and all I see when I look at it is a tonne of flaws.

+1, but to my build
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.