So I need some help or opinoins here please. Im currently looking at buying a new acoustic guitar and have comedown to three or two acoustic guitars. I really have no idea what to choose and would like to know what everyone else thinks. I have played both of these guitar or all three here. They all sounded great but the Seagull just seemed to be much better quailty. I have no idea if this is due to the fact of the Taylor I have listed being a bottom of the line taylor what. I really feel like the Taylor lacked a little bit in quality compared to these Seagulls. The Taylor listed does not seem to be as rich and more full as the Seagull. Then again this could just be me thinking this or again it may be because its a lower line Taylor. I have heard nothing but great positive feedback about the Seagull guitars I have listed. I loved the Seagull even more then some of the top of the line Taylors, no joke. Beautiful craftsmenship and beautiful rich full tone. But anyway I want to by a dependable and loving new acoustic guitar. So what do you people on here think?

Here are the three guitars listed:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seagull-Artist-Series-Cameo-CW-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar-with-Deluxe-Case?sku=516969

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seagull-Artist-Series-Portrait-CW?sku=512252

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Taylor-200-Series-210CE-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar?sku=514496

Let me know all the good and the bad if there is any as well but do please tell me your opinoins. Thank you,
There is absolutely no competition. The Seagulls win hands down in terms of both build quality and also materials. The Taylor doesn't even have solid side/back wood. It's just laminate rosewood, whereas the Seagulls are made of all solid wood. Seagull is a Canadian company, so you know you're getting quality stuff. As well, you said that you liked the sound of them more than some high end Taylors, and that's the most important thing.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
^^ Agreed, go with what YOU like, not popular opinion.

Myself personally , I prefer the sound of a Taylor.
Unfortunately I have not played a Seagull yet I have been wanting to though. When that day comes... whos to say, I might like it better.
the bottom line - if one of the guitars sounds better to you, that's the one you should get. if you can't decide between the seagulls, the Seagull Artist Series Cameo has solid maple back and sides while the Seagull Artist Series Portrait has laminate sides and a solid mahogany back. i personally prefer maple to mahogany, so i'd go with the cameo all other things being equal, but you may feel differently.
Thank you to everyone who has responded so far. I would really like to see more people out there give their opinoins as well, the more the better. I just really feel as if though the Seagull Artist Cameo CW is so built to perfection and beautifully sounding as well. Yeah hearing about the Taylors not having solid back and sides just turned me off. Thing is I plan on this being my last real big purchase for the next few years and want something to own for years, years and years. I have been playing for close to 15 years and love every minute of it. I have owned Ibanez, Gibson (sorry but I will never own another one), Takamine, Ovation, Fender (1967 Jaguar), Fender Tele, Hagstrom, Yamaha, Alverez, Tesco Del Ray, Kent and more. Out of all these brands I felt more in touch with the Seagull Artist Cameo CW. This guitar seemed like a lost friend and I question how I ever lived/played without. Trust me, I have owned lots of equipment over time.

Are there any owners or users of this fine instrument who could feel me in about the guitar a little more?

Thanks,
there's not a lot to fill in about a guitar. the bottom line - does it feel and sound great to you? was there a "click" in you when you started to play it? from what you say in your last post, i feel very sure it the cameo is the right guitar for you, honestly. when you feel in touch with a guitar, when that guitar seems like a lost friend, it's the one. keep in mind that seagull guitars have an excellent - and well-deserved - reputation, too.

waiting for more opinions can be helpful, but it can also be confusing. after all, not everyone likes the same sounds and the same shape of guitar. the cameo may not be the right guitar for the next guy, not because it's not a good guitar but because he's looking for a different tone or a different size. but then his perfect guitar may not be right for you, either. after all, my favorite factory guitars are gibsons, and you would never own another one. of course, i'm only speaking of the acoustics since i find the electrics inconsistent with annoying issues.

you're lucky - it happened with a guitar you can afford. i've only felt that feeling a couple times strongly, and couldn't afford the guitars even on extended layaway. if your wallet can take you there, and the guitar feels the same on further visits, i hope you go for it
Well Ive always been the type of person to never look at the name across the headstock. Ive always found its totally the wrong way to go. When I stated, I will never buy a Gibson again, I was talking about their electric guitars. In my opinoin Gibson and its f**k buddy Fender are both the same. What I mean by that is, they sale there name and thats it period. Take a 12 year starting guitar player, what do they want for a guitar? A Fender Strat or a Gibson Les Paul. *This is nothing personal to those out there who love these guitars but its a little truthful. These companies sale by there name and its not because they are truely the best. Its because they are marketed by artist who are paid by the company big bucks to play them. These sorts of companies will make any guitar they have to that artist taste just to sale the guitar to the audience. *Trust me there is alot of guitars just as great as Fender and Gibson. Facts are, there is only so many types of ways to make a guitar. I think companies like Seagull, Breedlove, Addamas (Ovation), Paul Reed Smith (PRS), Ibanez (no low priced), Hagstrom, Music Man, Parker, Schecter, Godin, Gretsch and more. I will never waste my money on a Fender or Gibson again. Plus these companies need some change, I get tired of looking at the same old crap. Want a good Fender or Gibson then pay alot or spend alot in mods. Surely companies like Fender and Gibson really do nothing different that no other companies out there may do. Plus I hate the necks on both of these guitars.

My two favorite guitars right now are Seagull and Breedlove.

So people please go to therepy and get the Fender and Gibson bull crap washed out of your heads. Its been on TV, Movies, Stores, Clothing and more. You have seen these brands play a big role throughout everything. Its brain washing I sware and nothing more. ***Its kinda like Bill Gates who was caught using a MacBook Pro, even he knows sometimes there is better. There are alot of companies out there who make the same type of guitars and maybe even better. They use the same type of woods and more. ***Trust me I do not play cheap instruments, I only play good quality, but I will not pay $2500+ for something because it says Fender or Gibson when I can get the same thing if not better a little cheaper in price from another company. Im not paying hundreds more to have a company name just stamped over the head. The only companies I would pay over $2500 for are Parker, Addamas and a couple. Otherwise most of the brands I listed earlier dont have really extreme priced guitars.

Play what you feel, play what you love and play with respect.

Thanks,
er... huh? i think you missed my point, which was different people like different guitars sound and feel. my point was NOT that you should like gibson - really.

dude, i couldn't care less about the name on the headstock, it was the sound that turned my crank. i've been playing 41 years, and one of the three best sounding factory guitars i've played was a gibson custom shop j-45. in fact, since my opinion of les pauls is not high, my husband had to stick the guitar in my hands to get me to play it, but i went back and visited it regularly at guitar center for months till someone bought it.
No, please dont think that message was directed to you at all.

Yes, I agree with you. Certain guitars are made for certain people. But do you not see my point about the whole brand name thing and everything. Trust me, this message was not directed toward you or anyone at all. Its just how typical people are when it comes to guitars or anything. But yes, certain guitars for certain people. What may suit me may not suit someone else. So sorry if you thought that was directed toward you or if it sounded like it in anyway. I just really gave my whole idea about the whole guitar thingy if you have any idea what I mean. This is talking about acoustics and electrics. The Gibson you are speaking of loving does have a nice sound but not typically my favorite neck and a few other things. Like you stated we all like different things. My most expensive guitar is a 1967 Fender Jaguar I bought from the original owner who was a naighbor of my fathers who bought the guitar and never really used it. The guitar was kept in its case most of its life and in mint condition. I gave a whole lot for this guitar but I love the style of all the options and the thin/narrow neck. Nothing like any other Fender I have ever tried beside a Mustang which I like alot as well. Otherwise forget Fender. lol. The Gibson I had was a Les Paul which never got played and was so blah. I sold the thing 6 months after buying it brand new for around $1300. Never again.
Oh by the way. The Seagull Artist Cameo and the Artist Portrait both have solid back and sides. None of the two are laminated.

The Portrait has solid spruce top and solid mahoganey back/sides. Nothing laminated.
The Cameo has solid spruce top and solid flamed maple back/sides. Nothing laminated.

http://www.seagullguitars.com/productartistportraitcw.htm
http://www.seagullguitars.com/productartistcameocw.htm
notice how the word "solid" does not appear next to back and sides? common when guitars have only solid tops but check here
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seagull-Artist-Series-Portrait-CW?sku=512252
not that the sides make any real difference to the sound, at least to my ear. if you want to know for sure, i've found seagull's customer support emails are answered fast

btw, i do know how people get with brands. half the people i know who are learning acoustic feel that the only guitar worth owning is a martin, the end. *rolls eyes* most of the rest feel you should only own a taylor *lol*
If you read the two links I provided it does say "solid" next to back and sides on both models. Take a look again here.

http://www.seagullguitars.com/produ...tportraitcw.htm
http://www.seagullguitars.com/productartistcameocw.htm

But I will check with their customer service as well to be sure.

Portrait specs:

Specs

Top : Select Pressure Tested Solid Spruce

Back & Sides : Solid Mahogany

Neck : Mahogany

Fingerboard & Bridge : Rosewood

Tusq® nut and compensated saddle

Finish : High-Gloss Custom Polished finish

Cameo specs:

Specs

Top : Select Pressure Tested Solid Spruce

Back & Sides : Solid Flame Maple

Neck : Mahogany

Fingerboard & Bridge : Rosewood

Tusq® nut and compensated saddle

Finish : High-Gloss Custom Polished Finish
Ok, so I went to my local Guitar Center over the weekend and have actually for some odd reason decided between two other types of guitars. One of the guitars I listed already which is the Taylor 315CE and the other model is a Martin DC-160GTE. I know, I know I really never cared for Martin but after playing it and hearing the guitar I ignored what was stamped over the head. Now I know these guitars are totally two different types of bodys and Im sure hold there own benifits. But I love the Taylors neck, body and sound. Then again I love the Martins neck and sound. I know Martin makes the same body for this model of Martin Im looking at but it did not sound as good as the Dreadnought one. So between these two types of guitars what does everyone think?

-Note: I contacted Taylor and the 315ce is solid front, back and sides and the Martin is as well ofcourse.

Opinoins please.

Thanks,
Quote by patticake
btw, i do know how people get with brands. half the people i know who are learning acoustic feel that the only guitar worth owning is a martin, the end. *rolls eyes* most of the rest feel you should only own a taylor *lol*

Er.....

*guilty look

Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Last edited by millerdrr at Nov 2, 2009,
I love the 314ce and would settle for the 214ce.

The taylors play the best for me.
The martin 000/0M is my favorite body.
The seagulls are a good value and are nice and are louder.

You'll end up spending more than you wanted.
Quote by captivate
There is absolutely no competition. The Seagulls win hands down in terms of both build quality and also materials. The Taylor doesn't even have solid side/back wood. It's just laminate rosewood, whereas the Seagulls are made of all solid wood. Seagull is a Canadian company, so you know you're getting quality stuff. As well, you said that you liked the sound of them more than some high end Taylors, and that's the most important thing.

This, and....

Quote by obeythepenguin
Once again, I invoke Obeythepenguin's First* Rule of Guitar Buying: If you like _______, go with _______.

You say you like the Seagull, so go with the Seagull.

* Obeythepenguin's Second and Last Rule being "If in doubt, see Obeythepenguin's First Rule". The unofficial Third Rule is, of course, "Splurge".

Oh man......Its funny 'cause its true!

Seriously, go for the Seagull. You said yourself you like the sound better. It doesn't matter if you're making yourself hear a sound quality difference or not (you aren't by the way), if Guitar A sounds better to you than Guitar B, then obviously the right choice for you is Guitar A.

Also, Seagulls are fantastic guitars. Very solidly built from what I've heard and seen, and the tone:quality:price ratio is one of the best in the acoustic guitar market.

EDIT: Just wanted to comment on the brand name thing real quick-like. I find myself to be on a weird end of the spectrum on that whole debate. I could care less what the name on the headstock is, but I know there are certain brands that I can fall back on as my "favorites" because I haven't played a guitar they produced I absolutely hated, or frankly didn't like in general, which leaves me looking at these particular brands first when I'm trying stuff out. I'm a fanboy of Seagull, Takamine, Breedlove (a bit), and products that have roots with Leo Fender, but I'm a fanboy because I've loved about everything I've used related to the above names. Brand loyalty is absolutely fine by me as long as you have reason other than marketing to back it up.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Nov 3, 2009,
Ok, so everyone I have been researching and researching myself to death over finding myself a new acoustic. Like I stated before, this will be my main acoustic and hopefully my last purchase for a long time.

I have been trying to keep an open mind when it comes to brands and more. I have been to 5 guitar store in my area and one which is about 75 miles from where I live. I traveled this far because I refuse to go into the store which stock only 5 guitars at a time. I like to look and play too.

So I have came across several models which have caught my eye and most of all my ear. As stated before, Im intrested in the Taylor 314ce and the Taylor 414ce. But... I came across 3 more guitars while searching. I would really like to know what people opinoins and thoughts are on this brand and these models I will list here. The brand is Alverez. They have some really nice end sounding and great looking guitars. I will list below these three models below. Take a look and let me know what you think. Thank you.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alvarez-Yairi-Virtuoso-Rosewood-WY1-Acoustic-Electric-Cutaway?sku=518868

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alvarez-Yairi-DY62C-Burled-Mahogany-AcousticElectric-Dreadnought-Cutaway?sku=518843

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alvarez-Yairi-Virtuoso-Koa-WY1K-Cutaway-AcousticElectric-Guitar-?sku=518866

*Let me know what you think of these models I have listed and try to give me your opinoin on the brand and the each one of the guitars listed. They seem like a really great build and sound. Just need to get some feedback and thank you,
You can't go wrong with Alvarez. Their QC is impeccable. These Yairi's are Japanese made, so you know their quality is top notch. Probably a bit better than Taylors in the same price range, to be honest.

The Japanese know how to make a great guitar. It's why Fender stopped importing Japanese Fenders. They were essentially better built than their USA custom built guitars once you swapped out the pickups with nicer ones.

I've played the lower model Alvarez guitars(the models I played were the MD60 and MD95, which are now discontinued) and each one was just great.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate

just cause its laminate dont mean its junk. Just because it has solid back and sides dont mean its great. The point it has a spruce top that is where all the sound comes from. The taylor 210 is a great sounding guitar. Quality there is no comparison hands down taylor. Fine craftsmanship.
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
Quote by captivate
You can't go wrong with Alvarez. Their QC is impeccable. These Yairi's are Japanese made, so you know their quality is top notch. Probably a bit better than Taylors in the same price range, to be honest.

The Japanese know how to make a great guitar. It's why Fender stopped importing Japanese Fenders. They were essentially better built than their USA custom built guitars once you swapped out the pickups with nicer ones.

I've played the lower model Alvarez guitars(the models I played were the MD60 and MD95, which are now discontinued) and each one was just great.

also alveriz QC is horrible . I baught one and got it home all excited. To only find that the High e spot in the nut was cut to deep and couldnt even play the damn thing.

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Quote by silly6-string
just cause its laminate dont mean its junk. Just because it has solid back and sides dont mean its great. The point it has a spruce top that is where all the sound comes from. The taylor 210 is a great sounding guitar. Quality there is no comparison hands down taylor. Fine craftsmanship.

When you're paying near $1000, laminate isn't good enough. The old 100 and 200 series used to be all solid. Taylor just started cheaping out. Also, it's a Seagull, and their highest range guitar as well. I have never, in 3 years, ever heard of anyone ever complaining about Seagull QC. The only person who's ever complained on here about Seagull is that they only offered a TRIC case(instead of a hard case); he was going to boycott them(and encouraged others to do so) because of it, and that, frankly, was just ignorance.

Also, there is no comparison in QC. Seagull's highest end guitars vs Taylor's lowest end guitars that even avid Taylor fanboys don't like? Seagull > Taylor in this case.

One of my biggest gripes are the electronics on the 100 and 200 series. They are God awful sounding. Somewhere between a quacking duck and a drowning cat. It's not even the Expression System, which many people already regard as slightly substandard to various other aftermarket pickup systems such as K&K, LR Baggs, Fishman, etc.

Also, do not mistake what I said. In nowhere did I call the Taylor junk in my initial post. Nor did I say that they weren't well built. That's a conclusion that you drew from what I said. I'm just listing pros and cons here(and there are definitely more cons here than pros, in my opinion).

Quote by silly6-string
also alveriz QC is horrible . I baught one and got it home all excited. To only find that the High e spot in the nut was cut to deep and couldnt even play the damn thing.

Where did you buy it? Online? They probably didn't set it up(as all stores would have). And if that's the case, you can't blame Alvarez. You take a risk by not being able to try it. Go to any store who deals Alvarez and ask them how many defective guitars they get. I guarantee you the numbers are low.

Of course, I ask anyone who reads this to take this for what it's worth. It's a personal opinion(and a strong one at that). I've played plenty of Taylors. Probably more than I have Martins(and I own one). They make great higher end guitars, but the 100 and 200 series will always be substandard unless they do two things:
1. Move it back to solid wood. Even cheap solid wood is better than that horrible laminate they have going on.
2. Put in a decent electronics system instead of their cheap wannabe expression system.

If they did those two things, I would consider them to be a good alternative for anything else in the price range since their build quality is just fine.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
When you're paying near $1000, laminate isn't good enough. The old 100 and 200 series used to be all solid. Taylor just started cheaping out. Also, it's a Seagull, and their highest range guitar as well. I have never, in 3 years, ever heard of anyone ever complaining about Seagull QC. The only person who's ever complained on here about Seagull is that they only offered a TRIC case(instead of a hard case); he was going to boycott them(and encouraged others to do so) because of it, and that, frankly, was just ignorance.

Also, there is no comparison in QC. Seagull's highest end guitars vs Taylor's lowest end guitars that even avid Taylor fanboys don't like? Seagull > Taylor in this case.

One of my biggest gripes are the electronics on the 100 and 200 series. They are God awful sounding. Somewhere between a quacking duck and a drowning cat. It's not even the Expression System, which many people already regard as slightly substandard to various other aftermarket pickup systems such as K&K, LR Baggs, Fishman, etc.

Also, do not mistake what I said. In nowhere did I call the Taylor junk in my initial post. Nor did I say that they weren't well built. That's a conclusion that you drew from what I said. I'm just listing pros and cons here(and there are definitely more cons here than pros, in my opinion).

Where did you buy it? Online? They probably didn't set it up(as all stores would have). And if that's the case, you can't blame Alvarez. You take a risk by not being able to try it. Go to any store who deals Alvarez and ask them how many defective guitars they get. I guarantee you the numbers are low.

Of course, I ask anyone who reads this to take this for what it's worth. It's a personal opinion(and a strong one at that). I've played plenty of Taylors. Probably more than I have Martins(and I own one). They make great higher end guitars, but the 100 and 200 series will always be substandard unless they do two things:
1. Move it back to solid wood. Even cheap solid wood is better than that horrible laminate they have going on.
2. Put in a decent electronics system instead of their cheap wannabe expression system.

If they did those two things, I would consider them to be a good alternative for anything else in the price range since their build quality is just fine.

in my experience Taylor has a better sound laminate or not. I played both and i even like the 210 compared tot he high end Taylors. Sea gull is better for money only regarding laminate vs solid wood. Also i didnt like the shorten scale of the seagull. Im very happy with my Taylor. The laminate makes it sound great. I also own solid body guitars. But certain songs i play the Taylor brings out more essiance in the song. Stricktly because of the laminate back and sides.

Re-guarding the Alveraz. Ya i hear there good but what i baught shed me away from owning another. Yes i did buy it online ,but, it should in know way shipped like that. Very disappointed. Nor would i buy again from that website. I returned it got my $$ back and saved up for my Taylor.

Buy what u want. But plz go out and try them yourself instead of asking on here. Let ur heart tell u whats right. Everyone is different. Or everyone would play the same one. take care.

Also i didnt pay 1000$ i payed 700 and change from guitarrodeo.com. Also i can return it for 100% of what i payed for it and put it towards another taylor of my choice. So not a bad deal at all. Name is Jim he will take care of u for sure

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Last edited by silly6-string at Nov 5, 2009,
Well I bought a Larrivee guitar and its beats all this sub 1000$ guitar. You can find some good deal used.