Hi, I've been playing guitar for 1 and a half years, self taught. So far I only played rythm sections, and started lately to do a bit of lead work and finger exercises. Having recently discovered Muse and Bellamy, I find myself wanting to do the crazy Morello/Hendrix tricks he uses, as well as put some more straight-rock oriented feel to my playing.

Opeth and minor scales have been my bread and butter so far, and I can't seem to write or play a riff the Bellamy way.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Quote by ingames
Hi, I've been playing guitar for 1 and a half years, self taught. So far I only played rythm sections, and started lately to do a bit of lead work and finger exercises. Having recently discovered Muse and Bellamy, I find myself wanting to do the crazy Morello/Hendrix tricks he uses, as well as put some more straight-rock oriented feel to my playing.

Opeth and minor scales have been my bread and butter so far, and I can't seem to write or play a riff the Bellamy way.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Just start learning Muse songs, and analyze what scales Matt uses and how he phrases them. I do remember using he was trained on the classical piano before moving to guitar.
@FallsDownStairs: I don't know much about scales, though I'm reading Ze's Ultimate Guide. I also downloaded in GP the whole Resistance album and I've been analyzing it. It's just that some times I see a riff and say "How the **** did he think of doing that?!".
Also, sometimes he goes chromatic, and others like in Stockholm's verses he uses the same chord first in minor and later in the proggression in major. :S:S:S

@Martin: I just wanna push it beyond trial and error, and actually KNOW what I'm doing.
Quote by Martindecorum
its just random ambience effects, and random experimentaion that works, try things

trial and error

Particularly whammy, phaser, and delay. Like said before, i recommend learning some of Muse's songs as a starting point and maybe watching their live videos, such as the Wembley concert.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
Just start learning Muse songs, and analyze what scales Matt uses and how he phrases them. I do remember using he was trained on the classical piano before moving to guitar.

this.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.