Page 1 of 2
Not to bring up semi-dead thread, but I plan to continue writing more on this piece and wanted all crits in one place, so yes I'll be continuing with this thread if at all possible. I menionted in one of my earlier posts I wouldn't be getting back until mid-december last year - well, I did at that, but I never went back to working on this

But nonetheless All subsequent posts on page 3, I'll be posting any updates changes, and of course looking forward to your responses of my critiques of your songs! keep on rockin all

Song has been updated. notable changes are two different version of the song each titled, more details on second page posts

(VG-BGM) Scaling the Walls - Stage 1 - Updated Mix (02:47)

(VG-BGM) Scaling the Walls - Stage 1 -reedit (02:47)

Original Post
Uploaded a new song to add to the OST in a game (2D Dark Fantasy side scroller) I'm writing the story for and creating the character art, and - duh - ost to. Let me know what ya think, song on my profile - and as always, C4C

Title of song - "Stage 1 - Scaling the Walls" on profile

Also feel free to check out my other songs - since I've uploaded this one, I've been reuploading all the others with noticeable adjustment so they're in need of comments and ratings for sure!

Thx for all the input so far - but I'm certainly looking forward to more, keep em coming
Last edited by Night at Mar 26, 2010,
That was pretty cool, nice mix of guitars and keyboards, or whatever else you used. Haha. If it really is for a game then I could see it fitting into one easily. Any info, or a web site for that game?
Hey man, thanks for your crit.

The song is great, has a real epic feeling to it. One thing I would say is lower very slightly the volume of the rhythm guitar in the first part, it drowns out that wonderful sustained guitar in places.

It definitely sounds like it should belong in a game, and it fits perfectly to the dark fantasy genre. Great stuff.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by Defnition
That was pretty cool, nice mix of guitars and keyboards, or whatever else you used. Haha. If it really is for a game then I could see it fitting into one easily. Any info, or a web site for that game?

nah fraid it was a freelance project I started a while back - I still need to brush up on tons more C. all in all I'm just concentrating on writing the game itself - rather than coding

although pretty much all of the character animations and two stages have been completed so far. Along with my storyboards, inventory lists etc. Once I have finished it I'll be submitting it as an XNA project. I just wish PS3 had something along similar lines for indie game makers >_<
Last edited by Night at Nov 5, 2009,
pretty awesome i have to say, if you hear it for itsself it does the job really really good, just the synth sound is a bit too zelda'y for me, maybe you could change it for something with a bit a darker timbre. but i really like the heavy feel to it, most games have way too soft soundtracks.

the thing i was missing was a heavier staccato like thumping riff for intense fighting scenes, or a drum oriented rythm piece for crushing skulls (see early RDM battlestar galactica fight scenes, esp. season 1) i don't know anything about your game's gameplay but if you could do a situational aware background music that would be awesome (yeah i'm a programmer too ^^)

thx for the crit btw.

hF!
i love it when you hate the world ~ Zuko
I am really digging this, what did you use for drums? Sounds like DKFH but i love how the toms sound. The only problem i have is that the track is clipping so next time you export something lower the master fader. Other than that this is really cool, sounds like a more symphonic kalmah. If you record vocals for this let me know!
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
Thanks for the crit on my song Night.

I think the recording quality of your stuff is really good considering you do the recording yourself.

As for the actual song, it feels very epic. Good stuff. Good mix. Good tones. Nice job.

And I really like hemorrhage!

By the way, if you could go back to the thread of mine you commented on, i posted on it again asking you a few questions if you could be so kind as to give it a look. Thanks a lot.
Quote by martyr1130
Thanks for the crit on my song Night.

I think the recording quality of your stuff is really good considering you do the recording yourself.

As for the actual song, it feels very epic. Good stuff. Good mix. Good tones. Nice job.

And I really like hemorrhage!

By the way, if you could go back to the thread of mine you commented on, i posted on it again asking you a few questions if you could be so kind as to give it a look. Thanks a lot.

Certainly, and thx for the returned favor!
Quote by Lonely
pretty awesome i have to say, if you hear it for itsself it does the job really really good, just the synth sound is a bit too zelda'y for me, maybe you could change it for something with a bit a darker timbre. but i really like the heavy feel to it, most games have way too soft soundtracks.

the thing i was missing was a heavier staccato like thumping riff for intense fighting scenes, or a drum oriented rythm piece for crushing skulls (see early RDM battlestar galactica fight scenes, esp. season 1) i don't know anything about your game's gameplay but if you could do a situational aware background music that would be awesome (yeah i'm a programmer too ^^)

thx for the crit btw.

hF!

Aaah maybe we will collaborate down the road in that case - thoughthat will be a long while form now I would guess. I haven't touched C in years and with the way things are going it's going be to a very slow climb up again XP
Quote by Tig Bitties
I am really digging this, what did you use for drums? Sounds like DKFH but i love how the toms sound. The only problem i have is that the track is clipping so next time you export something lower the master fader. Other than that this is really cool, sounds like a more symphonic kalmah. If you record vocals for this let me know!

Indeed DKFH they are ^^

btw any1 else experiencing clipping from the song? I hadn't notice it tbh - although I may end to tone done the drumkits eq's to cut back on those cymbals a bit - I forget to do that every single time XD
I did get a faint bit of clipping (On the bass synth?) now you mention it, but I dismissed it as being due to my headphones.

Edit: Also, the updated mix sounds awesome. Twice as powerful.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Last edited by entity0009 at Oct 27, 2009,
I noticed a very faint clipping as well, but I'm on a laptop so....take that with a grain of salt.
Holy damn, really epic and really, really great songwriting!
You better make this one perfect, cause it has the potential to be a modern masterpiece.
Maybe the only little whiny think I could think of is to make your vibrato in the solo section a bit wider and lively, but that might be just a matter of taste.

C4c? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1221647
Guitarist for: Delain, Arrow Haze, Vengeance, Tri-Head and others.

Official Endorser/Clinicer of:

Aristides Guitars
Really nice, and well produced. I would just work on trying to learn to compose with notes outside of the key here and there to give your work a more distinctive sound.
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
Updated once again - found little kinks here and there in the MIDI - also I re-recorded the lead AGAIN, this time getting rid of a majority of the effects - in reposnse to ProteZT post. I wasn't very happy with the way the bends etc were coming along - and the effects were flattening out the notes a bit I'll admit

Also felt the intro MIDI jump in to suddenly - so I tweaked it a bit to give it a more subtle approach in the song. check it out and let me know what ya think - the leads are still nowhere where I want them but for now there fine (yes still no real vibrato there imo - not sure what is goin on with it atm, but the song is still in the works and only halfway finished so - I still have to add a bass guitar too, so look forward to more updates all
I liked it!
Clipping a *little* bit at the intro with the rhythm guitars..... maybe cut their volume a little bit?

The synths were brilliant...but as far as the game goes, without knowing what type of game it is, I really can't comment on how well they will fit it.
Bass and leads work well.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1222787
Go for it!
Quote by unet
I liked it!
Clipping a *little* bit at the intro with the rhythm guitars..... maybe cut their volume a little bit?

The synths were brilliant...but as far as the game goes, without knowing what type of game it is, I really can't comment on how well they will fit it.
Bass and leads work well.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1222787
Go for it!

Mmmm think of Castlevania - around the SOTN era ))
The music definitely needs to be expanded then.

I'm not sure what you plan to use this particular bit for, but you can't expect to use it more than once or twice.

The theme is in the right direction though.
Approval.
Quote by unet
The music definitely needs to be expanded then.

I'm not sure what you plan to use this particular bit for, but you can't expect to use it more than once or twice.

The theme is in the right direction though.
Approval.

expanded? I plan to write a much larger library for the ost, dipping into different genres (not subgenres) if thats what ya mean

nah I only expect to let it play with the first tied in level map. I plan to have it start on a more event basis as soon as the gameplay fires up
Last edited by Night at Oct 29, 2009,
Quote by Night
expanded? I plan to write a much larger library for the ost, dipping into different genres (not subgenres) if thats what ya mean

nah I only expect to let it play with the first tied in level map. I plan to have it start on a more event basis as soon as the gameplay fires up

To the expanded bit:
I wasn't sure if you were planning to make this particular tune loop throughout a lever or something.
If that was the case, it would have to be made considerably longer and less action packed.

The second part of your comment explained that.
Quote by unet
To the expanded bit:
I wasn't sure if you were planning to make this particular tune loop throughout a lever or something.
If that was the case, it would have to be made considerably longer and less action packed.

The second part of your comment explained that.

AAAh i c i c, yes I only plan to loop SPECIFIC parts of the song - although the song is still incomplete, the guitars etc were mainly there to provide the initial impact on startup, and then I'll be having it looping later portions of the song as I don't want it to sound like the entire thing is just firing up from beginning to end over and over and over and over again

also most likely - a soft lead tone is mostly all you'll be hearing in these latter portions when they're being looped - I don't plan to include any heavy rhythm guitars in these portions to break up the flow much
Last edited by Night at Oct 29, 2009,
Quote by Night
AAAh i c i c, yes I only plan to loop SPECIFIC parts of the song - although the song is still incomplete, the guitars etc were mainly there to provide the initial impact on startup, and then I'll be having it looping later portions of the song as I don't want it to sound like the entire thing is just firing up from beginning to end over and over and over and over again

also most likely - a soft lead tone is mostly all you'll be hearing in these latter portions when they're being looped - I don't plan to include any heavy rhythm guitars in these portions to break up the flow much

Exactly what i wanted to know.

Well it should sound good.

Some soft synth and some sort of lead always sound good in loop.

Also, out of curiosity, how are you going about the programming aspect of the game?
[apologies for casual thread hijack]
Quote by unet
Exactly what i wanted to know.

Well it should sound good.

Some soft synth and some sort of lead always sound good in loop.

Also, out of curiosity, how are you going about the programming aspect of the game?
[apologies for casual thread hijack]

I've picked up and dropped programming - and never had a good foothold in a programming language unfortunately. Although It's something I've decided to pick up on again as I'm considering changing my major to CS/ or nab myself one afterwards. I can't see something like this finishing up in more than just a couple of years :P But it'll be my carrot on the stick while I learn programming much smaller apps etc. for now the music and art is just to take up free time while I'm learning C etc
cool man. it starts out kind of trippy. i like the effetcs. good recording and tone. i say make it longer though. i wanted more. another thing is i got tired of all the distortion around the 1 min mark. i say mix it up with a section of distortion then just the lead. i though it kind of took away what you were trying to do. if you listen to it i think you will see what i mean. it seems like too much is going on. less is more sometimes. maybe im just drunk and or crazy but try it? good stuff though man. i like this track.

crit mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22128301#post22128301
Quote by chasepalmer
cool man. it starts out kind of trippy. i like the effetcs. good recording and tone. i say make it longer though. i wanted more. another thing is i got tired of all the distortion around the 1 min mark. i say mix it up with a section of distortion then just the lead. i though it kind of took away what you were trying to do. if you listen to it i think you will see what i mean. it seems like too much is going on. less is more sometimes. maybe im just drunk and or crazy but try it? good stuff though man. i like this track.

crit mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22128301#post22128301

LOL you read my mind - I actually had already updated the song and gotten rid of the rhythm guitars completely at the 50s mark this morning XD I was just fixin to update it :P
Quote by Pr0teZT
Holy damn, really epic and really, really great songwriting!
You better make this one perfect, cause it has the potential to be a modern masterpiece.
Maybe the only little whiny think I could think of is to make your vibrato in the solo section a bit wider and lively, but that might be just a matter of taste.

C4c? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1221647

lol the only one thing I ever hope to ask of others is to be absolutely brutal in their critiques, not saying I don't like having my ego feed with comments saying that they think it's good or what not - but having some criticism on any tiny little facet of my work - if one is willing to take the time to do so. I oftentimes hate to return the favor in C4C deals because sometimes I simply can't find muchto comment on, normally due to it not being from a genre that I listen to often, and if that ends up being the case, all I can ever do is make a comment or two on the recording quality. And I'm no recording guru, I only like to tinker with it :P

But yeah I certainly dont wanna f*ck this one up - I always find myself running through half minute addons on the ass end of the song until I land on the sweet spot, and just throw the rest into the recycle bin of ideas for me to pick out later on XD

thx for the crit! hope my return favor was good enough, but as I said I really couldn't find much to really comment on, pretty much all of it was mixed like a dream -- and catchy riffs throughout, what more could one ask for?
I am a huge fan of video game music, as you probably figured out. Pretty much epic man. Grantastic job.
I'm impressed, it sounded great, and it was mixed very well too. Not much to crit, but I was a bit dissapointed near the end when the electric guitar went away and it just stayed with the panio till the end of the song. Mabey try left hand muteing/scratching like chevelle does in the song "An Evening with el Diablo" near the end. Just so there is something else going on other than that piano in the ending.

Crit mine?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22202686#post22202686
Quote by ethan_hanus
I'm impressed, it sounded great, and it was mixed very well too. Not much to crit, but I was a bit dissapointed near the end when the electric guitar went away and it just stayed with the panio till the end of the song. Mabey try left hand muteing/scratching like chevelle does in the song "An Evening with el Diablo" near the end. Just so there is something else going on other than that piano in the ending.

Crit mine?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22202686#post22202686

ah yeah I plan to work on it some more - since the song is only half complete. as it is now the ending is just a temporary lead out, I have the habit of doing something along those lines with any of me recordings that are still in the works :P
Quote by Tig Bitties

lol I didn't even notice you mentioning kalmah, hell I take that as a great compliment as they are amongst one of me fav bands ^_^
I can definitely see how this song would fit well into a video game. Great interaction between the guitars and keyboards. However, I think the bass could be doing a bit more, it's vanilla as is. I think you might want to think about the lead guitar melody a bit more, it sounds good but it could have more direction. A really strong, distinctive melody would make the lead guitar sound epic.

Would you check out my song, "Earth"? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1224553
Fender MIA Telecaster with DiMarzio noiseless single coils
-Fulltone OCD
-Ibanez Analog Delay
-Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Fender Blues Junior
Fender MIM Jazz Bass with Noiseless pickups
Mesa Walkabout
Epiphone AC200SCE Acoustic
Quote by Schmidty8890
I can definitely see how this song would fit well into a video game. Great interaction between the guitars and keyboards. However, I think the bass could be doing a bit more, it's vanilla as is. I think you might want to think about the lead guitar melody a bit more, it sounds good but it could have more direction. A really strong, distinctive melody would make the lead guitar sound epic.

Would you check out my song, "Earth"? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1224553

yeah concerning the leads I defintely felt it was a bit lacking after listening to it several times - although I won't be able to update it until I get back home around mid-december. I really think I could incorporate more whammy into it, but seeing as how I NEVER use a whammy bar, I never think to use it all that often (I'm using an old strat knockoff and the 1 way trem just sorta hinders my wanting to use it) here soon though I plan to get another guitar with an FR bridge and I'm hoping it'll make it a bit more fun for me. I can really hear myself throwing a few dives and squeling harmonics into the one portion of the lead. I'm still trying to think of some ways in which to extend the song as I only consider it finish only a 1/3 of the way, although I'm trying to not think on it too much seeing as how I'm keeping busy with other things, not to mention I have no way to record my thoughts/ideas anywhere atm.

There was one thing that I'm concerned about though, and it seems to be the same case on EVERY song I write. the entire song feels like it is only running at one speed, theres... no variation in tempo or beats or anything, it just continuously runs at a 4/4 time and nothing more. I just can't seem to bring myself to write out anything different once I've got an idea goin - the only variation is maybe a lead popping in here and there, but then in the end it still sounds the same as the leads are still going at the same beat or w/e.
Several changes particularly the Guitar tone - as I've completely stopped using Amplitude, I've been getting irritable with it here lately, and seeing as how I'm beginning to prefer the community made vst's more and more (they've got some talented people collabing) I've been going back and recording everything once again. Another change is my swapping out pickups. Invader in the bridge and an SH-6 in the neck

Song has been updated. notable changes are two different version of the song each titled

(VG-BGM) Scaling the Walls - Stage 1 - Updated Mix (02:47)

(VG-BGM) Scaling the Walls - Stage 1 -reedit (02:47)

The updated mix is a bit of an annorexic mix if you ask me.. it sounded much more powerful when it was playing through WMP with a flat eq. meh

reedit, has a bit more of a full sound, as one user on the forum mentioned, it was almost too full, as the frequencies sorta bleed too much into each other, I was also a bit trigger happy with the maximizers

I've got some more material to throw at it , so I'll place another update in a couple of days
Last edited by Night at Mar 26, 2010,
Page 1 of 2