Hey, pit. I'm working on an idea for my media arts class in which we have to choose a song, play it to the class and explain what it means to us. I decided to pick Castles Made of Sand by the Jimi Hendrix Experience for a few reasons.

Firstly and most notably is the way I can relate to the first verse. My parents are now in the final stages of divorce, having painfully decided to split a few years ago.

The second verse deals with the Indian chief that is killed when ambushed the night before his first battle, which he had been anticipating since he was a little boy. This can metaphorically entail many things, but what is most prominent to me is seeing friends of mine who had a gift and were bound to do great things fall short to drug addiction and suicide and the like. So young, so many dreams to achieve, so terribly tragic.

The final verse, which describes the crippled girl who "couldn't speak a sound", describes to me an inspirational tale of rebirth. Hendrix describes her as having a "heart [that] was a frown" which I think is a beautiful line, and the beauty of the sunset gives her the inspiration to drop from the waterside cliff and let the sea take her, a romantic idea if you believe in reincarnation which I believe was the intent behind the concept.

Anyways pit, I was just wondering what this song means to you. I'd be interested in seeing others' perspectives on the matter.

Thanks for reading.
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.
He to whom this emotion is a stranger,
who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe,
is as good as dead; his eyes are closed."
- Albert Einstein
It's a pretty cool song that I learned a few months ago and jammed to a few days ago with a few friends. So it's pretty cool.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by Karvid
It's a pretty cool song that I learned a few months ago and jammed to a few days ago with a few friends. So it's pretty cool.

Yeah bro, it's one of my favorite songs.
Does it mean anything to you in particular?
- Albert Einstein
Things that take time to grow can be wiped away in a second so savour every moment and enjoy yourself while you can.
Last edited by Frooshy at Oct 27, 2009,
I love it. It always makes me tear up a little.

TBH though if I could, I would choose Black Stallion Jam by Jason Becker and Marty Friedman instead. That song is so full of emotion and meaning, even without words.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
cool blog bro

'ported

edit: v
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Last edited by GODhimself37 at Oct 27, 2009,
Quote by GODhimself37
cool blog bro

'ported

This is a discussion. What's your reasoning?

Quote by Frooshy
Things that take time to grow can be wiped away in a second so savour every moment and enjoy yourself while you can.

Yeah, I can see that. It seems people spend too much time hung up on worries and regrets. Life is meant for living, as all things will "wash into the sea" and that's just the natural balance of things.

It seems this song is reaping more and more concepts as I go along, I'm still interested in what you fine gentlemen have to say, though.
- Albert Einstein
I always thought the chorus part "and so castles made of sand slip into the sea, eventfully." I always thought of this as a way of saying, no matter what is built its going to fall. It doesnt matter who built it or how big it is, it is still a castle made of sand.

Excellent song choice, by the way.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Quote by archangels666
I thought the little girl at the end didn't kill herself?

Here's the lyric:

"She drew her wheelchair to the edge of the shore
And to her legs she smiled you wont hurt me no more
But then a sight shed never seen made her jump and say
Look a golden winged ship is passing my way"

I guess it could go both ways. On one hand she apparently jumped, but it was used in the context of "but, etc" after an obvious suicide reference the line before.

I suppose we can agree that both are inspirational in different ways, one being what I explained previously, the other being that the beautiful sight of the sunset gave her a change of heart; she realized the beauty of life and made the conscious choice to experience it a little more.

Thanks.
- Albert Einstein
Quote by Fenderhippie69
I always thought the chorus part "and so castles made of sand slip into the sea, eventfully." I always thought of this as a way of saying, no matter what is built its going to fall. It doesnt matter who built it or how big it is, it is still a castle made of sand.

Excellent song choice, by the way.

Thanks, my man.
Yeah I agree, it details the unimportance of material privilege by putting things in perspective. On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero, and wealth =/= happiness. I'd rather live in a happy shack than a lonely mansion.

This is great guys, keep 'em coming.
- Albert Einstein