Hey everybody,

Well I've received my uncles old acoustic that has been sitting in his garage for 15 years and I want to replace the strings. It's a great Ovation guitar, about 16 years old. The strings are extremely rusty and old now, so I would like to replace them. I dont know what kind of strings to get for an acoustic, I play my electrics much more. What gauge would be good to get? Coated? Brand? I really want to get a sound like Nuno has in Midnight Express. What gauge do you think he uses for that kind of playing? I personally play 9 gauge strings usually.

Midnight Express- Extreme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaMc...yer_profilepage

Thanks

Wren
________
I'll go with .011 gauge. It is pretty light for an acoustic. You would not get a good sound with anything lighter.
My first lolstack
Quote by whitenihilist

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
You'll want 11's or 12's. Coating doesn't matter, it's preference. As for brands... it's also all preference. Some good ones are... D'addario, Elixir(if you want an incredibly bright sound), Martin, Dean Markley, John Pearse, Cleartone(also coated like elixirs, but more balanced tone), and DR... there are a lot of great brands. It comes down to personal preference.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Elixirs are my personal preference, I usually use the "light" ones (I think they're 12's).

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I prefer Martin Phosphor Bronze. You probably want phosphor bronze as they are a little brighter and will make your guitar sound better.
I tried to jump on the Elixir band wagon but I'm going back. I dislike the tinny sound that it seems to give off. I'm going back to Martins. Just my 2 cents.
Quote by maverick1972
I tried to jump on the Elixir band wagon but I'm going back. I dislike the tinny sound that it seems to give off. I'm going back to Martins. Just my 2 cents.

Same for me. I now alternate beteen Martin Eric Clapton Signatures and Cleartone EMPs.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by zorbozate
electric guitar strings are different than accoustics

Thats kind of obvious, and exactly why i posted this.
Elixirs are decent strings but over here in Australia you can buy 3 sets of Martin Phosphor Bronze sets for the same price as one Elixir set. I use to swear by Elixirs but for price reasons I picked up a set of Martins one day and surprised myself with the tone they had, I'm never changing again.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
I just got a set of DR "rare" strings for my acoustic last night, they feel great and are just really graet to play on and have a nice tone
Gear: Ibanez Gax 70 / Line 6 Floor Pod Plus