Page 4 of 1002
I use to be an avid freerunner and saw Disctrict 13 before I could even find English subtitles

Banlieue 13 was still an awesome film still only having some idea what was happening.
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
Quote by I.O.T.M
I have a ten pound giftcard from HMV, what film/films should I get? I don't like sci-fi, or movies with too many special effects.

If it was me... using the HMV website's as a base for prices:

Being John Malkovich - £2.99 (Fantastic film! Funny, creepy and a pretty original idea.)
Raging Bull - £2.99 (One of my favourite films, shows one man's journey through life and dealing with it)
An American Werewolf In London - £3.99 (Great horror, funny moments aswell, lacking in special effects )
Last edited by RhAndroid at Jan 5, 2010,
Cheers, buddy.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
I've just watched Raging Bull, it was so intense. Brilliant film.

S A D B O Y S
Raging Bull was annoying. It felt like another demonstration of characters destroying themselves, and filming it similarly so that the audience feels irritated and bewildered.

My 2c.
Distric 9 was way better than Avatar!!

there i said it
PROUD MEMBER OF THE

Ug Irish Clan - Pog mo Thoin
i just watched Being John Malkovich, all I have to say is whoa, man.

S A D B O Y S
Just got back from seeing Alice In Wonderland. God that was disappointing...

Okay the visuals were nice; and more importantly, I think Tim Burton and his set designers did a really good job creating their own version of Wonderland with Tim's trademark style. The character designs were good, and the portrayals were generally okay although I thought Alice sucked.

There were a few laughs and fun scenes, but I really just wish they had just left the story the fvck alone. It's already a wonderfully zany story. It doesn't have much of a plot to begin with and it's more like a sequence of absurd events than anything, but it's wild and magical. I can watch different versions of it again and again and I don't think I'd ever get tired of it. If they really wanted to write a sequel to the original story, they should have at least kept with the tone.

As it is, they decided to turn it into something formulaic and cliche complete with chases, action sequences and fight scenes. It's like Tim Burton doing Micheal Bay.

The more I think about it, the more disappointed I get.
Quote by valacirca

Okay the visuals were nice; and more importantly, I think Tim Burton and his set designers did a really good job creating their own version of Wonderland with Tim's trademark style. The character designs were good, and the portrayals were generally okay although I thought Alice sucked.

There were a few laughs and fun scenes, but I really just wish they had just left the story the fvck alone. It's already a wonderfully zany story. It doesn't have much of a plot to begin with and it's more like a sequence of absurd events than anything, but it's wild and magical. I can watch different versions of it again and again and I don't think I'd ever get tired of it. If they really wanted to write a sequel to the original story, they should have at least kept with the tone.

As it is, they decided to turn it into something formulaic and cliche complete with chases, action sequences and fight scenes. It's like Tim Burton doing Micheal Bay.

A lot of people weren't very hopeful - even though it was Burton doing what he does best - because they knew the story wasn't quite following the original.

I haven't seen it yet but I wanted Burton's version of the original; his thoughts on the story and images. I didn't want Hollywood's script writers to go nuts on that shit.

My sister went to see it today. I'll see what she says. Thanks for the quick review, though, mate.

edit: I watched The Notebook the other day... shit, that fucking film was sublime, really quite excellent. And it surprised me, particularly the casting and acting; which was well-above par.
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at Mar 5, 2010,
Quote by valacirca

avatar so perfectly encapsulated the concept of nice visuals, bad everything else (in avatar's case really, really, really, really, bad everything else.), that i doubt alice's plot will upset me that much, i mean, it's still got to be more intelligent than avatar's writing.

Quote by AngryGoldfish
edit: I watched The Notebook the other day... shit, that fucking film was sublime, really quite excellent. And it surprised me, particularly the casting and acting; which was well-above par.

i'll keep my thoughts on the notebook as a whole to myself, but even i could've told you ryan gosling is a brilliant actor, and rachel mcadams is pretty good as well.
Holy crap! Guys talking about the Notebook without everyone calling them gay! Cool.

I loved that movie. Gosling is incredible, and not the melodramatic leading male in most romantic movies.
All hail the BaartMan.

Gear:
-Guitar
-Another guitar
-Another guitar
-Amplifier
-A few effects pedals
-Piano
-Cat
The Notebook was incredible! My mum had just started watching it on TV, I was downstairs with the ol' laptop and I thought the film would be crap, boy was I surprised.

Anyway, I'm about to watch American History X, I've heard it's good but I've never had the chance to see it.

S A D B O Y S
I had never heard of Ryan Gosling prior to watching The Notebook. I had no idea what kind of actor he was. And I had only seen Rachel McAdams in Mean Girls.

I thought Avatar was great. It had that cheesy but incredibly entertaining feel to it. If it wasn't so spectacular, though, it would of been a disaster.
My favorite directors:

1) Kubrick
2) Tarantino
3) Scorsese

True masters of their art...I can watch most of any of their movies every day of the week.
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr
I watched Dogma earlier today, IMO Kevin Smith's best. And yesterday I saw From Paris With Love, it was a hoot.

My favourite films are:
Apocalypto
For a Few Dollars More
The Godfather II

Probably...
I finally saw district 9 last night. It was *pops into falsetto* amazing.
Also, I've never seen any Scorsese films, but I think I should. What do you guy think was his best?
Last edited by cornmancer at Mar 14, 2010,
Quote by cornmancer
Also, I've never seen any Scorsese films, but I think I should. What do you guy think was his best?

i always liked taxi driver the best, but most people would probably recommend goodfellas.
Quote by cornmancer

Goodfellas or Raging Bull. You can't really go wrong with any Scorsese film though to be honest.

S A D B O Y S
Just watched Alice last night, thought I'd warn anyone else who, like me, thought it looked cool.

Feels like they let a mall focus group decide what scenes needed to be in the film and then just tacked all of those suggestions together without any notion of development, progression, or timing. Boring characters, cliche crap, and unlike a lot of other cliche Disney movies, they didn't do it so well and structure everything so perfectly that it still felt like a good story.

Half-assed to the max. Pretty though.

Quote by NGD1313
avatar so perfectly encapsulated the concept of nice visuals, bad everything else (in avatar's case really, really, really, really, bad everything else.), that i doubt alice's plot will upset me that much, i mean, it's still got to be more intelligent than avatar's writing.

Alice had some better acting and not quite so many terrible lines (of course it's a lot shorter too), but the plot was just as bad and the timing and character development were actually much worse than Avatar (again, Avatar needed 3+ hours to get the timing right, but at least it did).
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Mar 16, 2010,
Quote by blue_strat
Apparently in 1968 in the Soviet Union, there was an 8 hour film made of Tolstoy's War and Peace.

Adjusted for inflation, it cost $700m to make, and was critically praised, winning an Oscar. It holds a 100% rating on RottenTomatoes.

http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/1023094-war_and_peace/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_and_Peace_(1968_film)

If you want epic scale, check out Berlin Alexanderplatz.

Quote by metal_al73
what are peoples top five films here?

mine are
1. pulp fiction
2. fight club
3. lock stock and two smoking barrels
4. the matrix
5. the dark knight

It is so hard to pick favourites, especially when you have so many disparate genres that really cannot be compared.

Still, I could probably come up with a tentative "favourite movies" list. Not ordered though, that would be too difficult.

2001: A Space Odyssey
Andrei Rublev
El laberinto del fauno
Glengarry Glen Ross
Hoop Dreams
Ikiru
Jacob's Ladder
La passion de Jeanne d'Arc
La Battaglia di Algeri
Trainspotting
Shichinin no samurai
Stalker

A list like this would probably come out different every time I made it, since there are too many great films to condense down into a small listing and you're bound to forget or overlook some in the process. Also, timing is important. For example, right now Audiard's Un prophète sticks out as an absolutely amazing film in my mind atm, but I would need to see it at least once more before I would feel confident about my assessment.

Looking at the list above, most are pretty intense films! I could make a whole other list of just films I love for their entertainment value regardless of artistic merit.
Why do so many hate Avatar? It's the most amazing movie i've seen. Can't wait for it's sequel comming in 2012.
Quote by GisleAune
Why do so many hate Avatar? It's the most amazing movie i've seen. Can't wait for it's sequel comming in 2012.

I think people express a strong distaste for the film because it is so over-hyped and blindly defended by legions of Cameron fanboys. It's not terrible, but the fact that people are treating it as the greatest thing ever, or even the greatest thing this year (not even close), elicits a stronger negative reaction than if the same people watched it in a vacuum. This is just a theory though.

I thought the landscapes looked pretty and there were cool effects, and I was fairly well entertained for the entire running time aside from a few "groan" moments when the plot got overly cliche. It was entertaining, and the visuals were impressive, but the story was very basic and lacking depth, not to mention all too familiar (felt like Pocahontas and Dances With Wolves mashed together in outer space). There were many other films I enjoyed more, and most of those had a more powerful visceral impact, were more mentally stimulating, or both.
As I was watching Avatar (in 3D, naturally), the thing that struck me the most was that it looked seamless. Whenever a greenscreen is used, you can usually tell, maybe not if it's used artfully enough. But in Avatar I just remember the whole film being one, without the jarring separation.

The first film I thought of was Apocalypse Now, because they referenced it so much; and I guess AN is another kind of Pocahontas reincarnation. There were also a couple of fairly sly comments - in the last second or so before an edit to a much busier scene - about the War on Terror, or the war in Iraq: something about if someone's sitting on something you want, you justify invading them with something else.
I haven't seen Pochahontas or Dance with wolves, so maybe that's why I left the theater amazed after watching Avatar. I have seen a lot of great movies, but this one is the most memorable one i've seen. I didn't know anything about it at all before watching it, I didn't know anything about James Cameron at first either. I just wanted to watch a movie that boring sunday evening.
Last edited by GisleAune at Mar 16, 2010,
^^^^ The more (great) movies you watch, the less memorable Avatar will seem. It was entertaining, but had nothing significant to say. If you just see movies as a way to kill time that's fine, just recognize that there is so much more that can be done with the medium.
I don't understand why people talk shit about avatar.. I liked that movie ALOT. Not just because of all the fancy styff, but also the plot. Thought is was a good "pochahontas" story, as many of you call it. And I hate bad acting, but I didn't see it in avatar, so i really do wonder why so many did?
Of course I'm a girl.
2001: A Space Odyssey
Andrei Rublev
El laberinto del fauno
Glengarry Glen Ross
Hoop Dreams
Ikiru
Jacob's Ladder
La passion de Jeanne d'Arc
La Battaglia di Algeri
Trainspotting
Shichinin no samurai
Stalker

You sir, have good tastes

As for my top 5

Tokyo Story
Cries & Whispers
Ikiru
Casablanca
Breathless

Quote by SilentCadence
I don't understand why people talk shit about avatar.. I liked that movie ALOT. Not just because of all the fancy styff, but also the plot. Thought is was a good "pochahontas" story, as many of you call it. And I hate bad acting, but I didn't see it in avatar, so i really do wonder why so many did?

I thought the acting was pretty flat for the most part, the characters were one-dimensional, and the plot was played out.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad film, and the visuals were amazing, but it was far from a perfect film
Under the spreading chestnut tree
I sold you and you sold me-
Last edited by Al-InWonderland at Mar 16, 2010,
Bought 4 DVDs today, each for £5, all foreign language:

All About My Mother (Spanish)
The Lives Of Others (German)
Life Is Beautiful (Italian)
Kolya (Czech)
Quote by SilentCadence

Watch more cinema and your standard for good acting will go up A lot of the lines in avatar didn't give the actors a lot to work with, and I wouldn't say they did a terrible job considering that.

One thing to remember about film criticism--pointing out what's wrong in a film doesn't mean it's a bad film. I liked Avatar quite a bit, but that's no reason I can't point out the lines were terrible, the acting was only ok, and the whole thing was pretty cliche plot and character wise.

Cliche and bad lines are pretty much standard on four fifths of major Hollywood releases, doesn't mean the movies are bad, just means there's problems with them. Hell, I go to a lot of films knowing exactly what's going to happen in every single scene in the film but enjoy it anyway. Most of the time the cliches detract from what could have been an even better movie, but that doesn't mean it's a bad flick to go watch.

If you really like something you should be able to "talk shit" about it. If you really like it, you've spent enough time thinking about it to understand its flaws.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Mar 16, 2010,
Watched 2012 a few nights ago, such a bad film, I really struggled through the last half hour of that shite.
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Quote by NGD1313
i always liked taxi driver the best, but most people would probably recommend goodfellas.
Taxi Driver is his best work, I think. I also like The King of Comedy and Gangs of New York. They're my favourite from him.