Page 5 of 1002
Watched All About My Mother.

Very good perspective on the personal secrets and lives people can have, the backstories behind the births of children, and a wonderful attitude of understanding and care.
Quote by JackWhite333
Favorite westerns?

High Noon
Shane
The Good, The bad and The Ugly
Once Upon a Time in the West
Unforgiven
Under the spreading chestnut tree
I sold you and you sold me-
^ They're pretty good. I'm not so good with names, though but I think those are the ones I'd recommend too.

Any good recent films you guys can recommend? Here's an extract from my profile of what kind of movies I usually watch: "Memento, Gattaca, The man from earth, Se7en, Fight club, Blade runner, No country for old men, Tigerland, Fearless, Drunken master, Fist of legend, Evil dead 1-3, Terminator 1-2 & 4, the matrix and The Shawshank redemption. ".
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
^ Ah yeah, I've got both lined up. Any others?

Might watch shutter island later this weekend.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Finally saw Shutter Island. It had a very immersing narrative and I enjoyed it especially towards the climax. Technically very strong, but it's Scorsese so that's to be expected. In terms of acting, I'm not sure if having DiCaprio anchor such a solid cast was a good idea, but it was great.

The dream sequences felt a bit flat though and while I was watching them, I was thinking how much better they would have been if Michel Gondry would have made them. The twist at the end wasn't so much a shocker since the film was pretty much hinting at it the whole time. Might have been better if it felt like a total curve ball.

I still enjoyed it a lot.

8/10
Quote by valacirca
Finally saw Shutter Island. It had a very immersing narrative and I enjoyed it especially towards the climax. Technically very strong, but it's Scorsese so that's to be expected. In terms of acting, I'm not sure if having DiCaprio anchor such a solid cast was a good idea, but it was great.

The dream sequences felt a bit flat though and while I was watching them, I was thinking how much better they would have been if Michel Gondry would have made them. The twist at the end wasn't so much a shocker since the film was pretty much hinting at it the whole time. Might have been better if it felt like a total curve ball.

I still enjoyed it a lot.

8/10

Agreed entirely.

I thought the end would be better if it was explained in such a heavy-handed fashion. IF we as the audience suspected that the whole time, and the things in the film became less and less sane and reasonable to build up to it, then we really don't need to have it recapped back at us for 20 minutes straight at the end of the film. I felt like scooby and the gang just solved a mystery. I still enjoyed it immensely.
Quote by Minkaro
I've borrowed a laptop (because mine commited suicide recently), and the loaner has left Kingdom of Heaven in.

Worth a watch?

Not to me. Imo it was pretty long and Orlando Bloom is too feminine for the role. It was like Troy, honestly, just with him as more of the main character. He's not a bad actor, and if you like his movies, you might enjoy it, but it's not anything particularly spectacular.

Has anyone seen Repo! The Genetic Opera? I thought it was terrible. The acting was horrendous, the songs were very poorly written and sung, and the characters lacked any real depth. However, the storyline, sets, and style of the film were fantastic. Other than that, I can't understand why every theater and scene kid I know thought it was so amazing. It's got nothing on The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

But that new film Repo Men has the same premise, and it looks great. Worth 10 bucks to see or not?

Edit:
Quote by Kensai
^ Ah yeah, I've got both lined up. Any others?

Might watch shutter island later this weekend.

Lock, Stock, And Two Smoking Barrels; Kiss Kiss Bang Bang; A Scanner Darkly; 28 Days Later; Snatch.

Those are all fantastic films, great plots, directing, acting (even Keanu in A Scanner Darkly, surprisingly), and have some of the best dialogue, with the exception of 28 Days Later, which is just a fantastic film in general.

Also, what JackWhite said, Moon and Inglorious Basterds are must see movies.
Last edited by halo43 at Apr 7, 2010,
I'm going to be taking a girl to the cinema next week, what should we go see?
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
In my Film Production class, our next project is to shoot every scene in reverse and then when we go to edit, use the reverse effect to have it play normal. We have to an actual story with a beginning, middle, and end though. Also, we have to include at least 1 action sequence that takes advantage of the reverse effect, such as jumping down from a table in reverse to make it seem like a flawless jump.

Can someone make some suggestions for my script?
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
Can anyone reccomend me some films where there's some good banter between the two lead actors? I'm currently developing an idea, and it would be helpful if I could watch some films with good banter.

EDIT: Also, could you reccomend me some good detective/police/murder films.

S A D B O Y S
Last edited by I.O.T.M at May 16, 2010,
Quote by halo43
^Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. It's a bit of both. One of the best, imo.

Thanks, mate.

S A D B O Y S
Quote by halo43
+1

Check out Sideways, too. Beautiful film.
Quote by blue_strat
Bought 4 DVDs today, each for £5, all foreign language:

All About My Mother (Spanish)
The Lives Of Others (German)
Life Is Beautiful (Italian)
Kolya (Czech)

Watched The Lives of Others.

Very good film. Clocks in at about 2 hours, but it's worth it.
Quote by Wikipedia
He said the idea for the movie came to him when he was trying to come up with a movie scenario for a film class. As he listened to a piece of music, he recalled Maxim Gorky's anecdote about Lenin listening to Beethoven's Appassionata. Gorky wrote:

"I know of nothing better than the Appassionata and could listen to it every day. What astonishing, superhuman music! It always makes me proud, perhaps naively so, to think that people can work such miracles!" Wrinkling up his eyes, Lenin smiled rather sadly, adding: "But I can't listen to music very often. It affects my nerves. I want to say sweet, silly things and pat the heads of people who, living in a filthy hell, can create such beauty. One can't pat anyone on the head nowadays, they might bite your hand off. They ought to be beaten on the head, beaten mercilessly, although ideally we are against doing any violence to people. Hm—– what a hellishly difficult job!"

Henckel von Donnersmarck told a New York Times reporter: "I suddenly had this image in my mind of a person sitting in a depressing room with earphones on his head and listening in to what he supposes is the enemy of the state and the enemy of his ideas, and what he is really hearing is beautiful music that touches him."
Don't know if you guys saw, but Megan Fox isn't coming back for the third Transformers movie. Linky. There goes the only reason to see it.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
What's everyone's top three movies of the 00's?

Mine are:

1. Milk
2. Notorious
3. UP
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by Spartan070sarge

Mine are:

1. Milk
2. Notorious
3. UP

The 00s? Meaning the entirety of last decade? Out of the films you picked, Up would be the only one anywhere near the Top 20 in my list, tbh.

I don't want to put much thought into it because there were too many good films, so these in no particular order:

• Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • Mulholland Dr.
  • Spirited Away
Quote by Spartan070sarge

Mine are:

1. Milk
2. Notorious
3. UP
  • The Lord of the Rings
  • Akira
  • Pans Labyrinth
What did everyone think of Robin Hood?

I personally loved it, but I'm a sucker for anything Ridley Scott, and I adore historical epics. I thought the plot was complex enough to keep it from relying wholly on it's action scenes, and the characters were strong, although the film doesn't strike a whole lot of new ground.

Many aspects of the various Robin Hood legends were interwoven, and whilst it wasn't exactly 'historically accurate', it does make allusions to real events and happenings. The score was good, but not terribly memorable. It did however, succeed in fusing medieval music with the usual Hollywood scoring style. It would have been nice to see a bit more characterisation happening, particularly with the other 'Merry Men', but this isn't a major complaint.

Overall, it was a great watch. If you enjoy the idea of Russel Crowe smashing heads with a massive hammer, as well as a great realisation of medieval life and warfare, then you'll probably enjoy it.

Here's hoping for an extended Director's Cut....
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Any seen City of God? Possibly one of the best films I've ever seen. Definitely my favourite foreign film. I'd highly recommend it.

Anyway, who is everyone's favourite actor/actress?
Quote by Count Seanula
Any seen City of God? Possibly one of the best films I've ever seen. Definitely my favourite foreign film. I'd highly recommend it.

I watched it for the first time New Years morning (can't remember the year) after everyone had passed out; it's a hell of a film. Been meaning to watch it again...
City of God was a truely amazing accomplishment. Robin Hood, however, was boring.

There are few action films I've seen in the cinema and thought, whilst watching them, "wow, I'm actually bored". And Robin Hood was one of them.

Firstly, it didn't feel like Robin Hood at all. Crowe's depiction of the once charismatic hero was far too sombre and damaged to be the cheeky, boisterous we all knew from childhood, as if he was desperately hurt by something – which we never really see explained. And the correlation between the two main characters, Marian and Hood was incredibly tedious. The whole way through the film we see this broken and sad, muscle-bound “hero” pathetically attempt to woo the Maid Marian, who, imo, needed a a good ****ing. She acted more like a bitch than anything else. And she was poorly cast.

Then there's the script: For the first ten-twenty minutes we see Hood introduced (and the old King played excellently by Danny Huston), but then we're forced to endure another hour segment of basically nothing happening. Which is followed by ANOTHER hour of MORE introductions. So, in essence, the film is a two hour twenty minute presentation of a character we all knew very well from childhood. It felt as if the distributors were thinking too much ahead – milking the story as much as possible. Their precociousness really let the film down.

In my opinion, it was only worth 4 out 10. The action sequences were solid, the costums and soundtrack documented the time very accurately, and the blind Sir Walter Loxley, played by Max von Sydow, was a fantatic character, along with old King Richard. Other than that it was a disaster.
Wait until it comes out on DVD and rent it, or watch it on netflix. It's not worth the £15 to go to the cinema.
Quote by halo43

I've just finished watching it, all I have to say is wow... Although the narration was a bit staggered at times.

S A D B O Y S
Quote by halo43
Haha yeah, I'll agree with that, but Downey Jr. has a great voice, so I didn't really mind What was your favorite scene?

Man, all of the scenes were at a very high standard, but I guess my favourite part was the final action scene on the motorway. I loved the dialogue throughout the film especially this part:
Gay Perry: "When you look up idiot in the dictionary, do you know what you'll find?"

Harry: "A picture of me?"

Gay Perry: "No, the definition of the word idiot, which you fucking are!"

S A D B O Y S
Speaking of awesome films, freaking Office Space just came on!
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by I.O.T.M
Man, all of the scenes were at a very high standard, but I guess my favourite part was the final action scene on the motorway. I loved the dialogue throughout the film especially this part:
Gay Perry: "When you look up idiot in the dictionary, do you know what you'll find?"

Harry: "A picture of me?"

Gay Perry: "No, the definition of the word idiot, which you fucking are!"

I love the dialogue. It's so quick and witty without being cheesy. That's how serious comedy should be, not this Will Ferrell/Jimmy Fallon/Adam Sandler crap.

That final action scene was pretty tense, I was completely captivated.

My favorite scene was the one in the parking lot with the security guard that Harry accidentally shoots in the face.

Harry: Well what I'm doing for the guy who likes to bluff is I'm playing a little game called "Am I Bluffing?" Where is she? Where the fuck is Harmony? You want to play hardball? I can do that. Where is the girl?

*bang!*

Perry: What did you just do?

Harry: I just put in one bullet, didn't I?

Perry: You put a live round in that gun?

Harry: Well yeah, there was like an 8% chance.

Perry: Eight? Who taught you math!
Quote by halo43
I love the dialogue. It's so quick and witty without being cheesy. That's how serious comedy should be, not this Will Ferrell/Jimmy Fallon/Adam Sandler crap.

That final action scene was pretty tense, I was completely captivated.

My favorite scene was the one in the parking lot with the security guard that Harry accidentally shoots in the face.

Harry: Well what I'm doing for the guy who likes to bluff is I'm playing a little game called "Am I Bluffing?" Where is she? Where the fuck is Harmony? You want to play hardball? I can do that. Where is the girl?

*bang!*

Perry: What did you just do?

Harry: I just put in one bullet, didn't I?

Perry: You put a live round in that gun?

Harry: Well yeah, there was like an 8% chance.

Perry: Eight? Who taught you math!

That bit was excellent as well. I'm in total agreement with you about the comedies coming out now, although Adam Sandler is an excellent actor in serious roles, think Reign over me, and Click.

S A D B O Y S
^I thought Moon was great, but I too was led to believe much better things.
Which isn't to say it wasn't fantastic. One of the best movies of the year, in my estimation.
Free speech is the right to shout "Theatre!" in a crowded fire.
I watched Donnie Darko again last night, it was even more awesome than I remembered.

S A D B O Y S