I can't seem to break my habit of sticking to one area of the neck to solo. Any good soloing ideas would be useful. Any good scales too.
Listen to other guitar players, learn some new licks, learn the notes on the guitar neck.
Give the song you're about to solo to a quick listen, no playing. Hear the solo in your head and work on applying it to guitar.
No means maybe
Stop thinking about where you're playing and instead start thinking about the sounds you want to create and activlly listen to what comes out.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Try learning new scales. If you're stuck using the usual pentatonics or blues scales pick one new scale every week or so and practice them one at a time until they become part of your playing vocabulary. This site is very useful - http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/

Choose "guitar scales". Maybe try something fairly simple like Harmonic Minor to start. Its very similar to some scales you might already know but gives your leads and riffs a whole different sound. Then you could try some exotic scales (I'd recommend Byzantine and Arabic a but just about any will do). Its amazing how just changing a note or two within a scale or mode will completely change the way your playing sounds.
tried different scales?
Add more technique, make phrasing changes, do some sweeping and tapping parts (don't over do it), add a lil effect here and there... and then you got something completely different
Quote by Sultan Of Rock
I can't seem to break my habit of sticking to one area of the neck to solo. Any good soloing ideas would be useful. Any good scales too.
If your problem is moving around the neck, you don't need any knew scales yet. Learn to use the ones you know first.

Learn other peoples solos, and take ideas from how they move around the neck, and adapt those ideas to your own playing.

Make yourself start in a different part of the neck - don't just start playing where you are comfortable. If you stay in your comfort zone you'll never break out of it - force yourself to start somewhere different, and stay there until you get your confidence. Then move again. Then find ways to link the different parts of teh neck - learn to find intervals, especially octaves, quickly on the neck so you can use them to move arouns. Learn scales single string as well as across the neck, so you can use them to move up and down. Learn to use arpeggios and triads in your soloing, to vary the sound a bit, learn to switch between diatonic scales, pentatonic/blues scales, arpeggios, triads and intervals, so you are more flexible and have more options, and can use them to vary the sound you create.

Most of all - keep improvising. The more you do it the easier - and more fun - it gets