Hi

On my Fender Stratocaster the bridge is tilting away from the body, whereas on my stratocaster copy, the bridge is touching the body. Like this:

http://img196.imageshack.us/i/dsc00775st.jpg/

http://img26.imageshack.us/i/dsc00776dc.jpg/

Can you tell me hich is the correct position for the bidge? And also, if it doesn't matter, does the position of the bridge affect sustain or anything like that?

Thanks.
Quote by ch0
I once trapped my left testicle in a vice. I have no left testicle.
Last edited by familybucket at Oct 28, 2009,
I VERY much prefer my bridge flat on the body (no float), and spring there pretty tight!
Helps a lot with tuning, plus double-stops stay much truer.

Since you've got a two screw bridge, a little float is ok, as long as you like it that way, and it's set up (intonation and action) properly.

That picture looks like it's up way too high, though.

I doubt you'll notice much difference in sustain, but you WILL notice that it's much trickier to keep intonated and in tune.
According to Fender the correct way they should be is 3mm off the body so that's what I stick with. It works for me and my intonation is great and I've never had any problems with tuning.

There you go the owners manual
http://www.fender.com/support/manuals/pdfs/instr_owners/FenderGuitarsAndBasses2003.pdf
I just set it up my strat to there specification and then adjusted a few things slightly from that to my own preferences.
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
Last edited by sepultura alma at Oct 27, 2009,
Ok thanks. Can anyone else help me?
Quote by ch0
Quote by Rutch
I VERY much prefer my bridge flat on the body (no float), and spring there pretty tight!
Helps a lot with tuning, plus double-stops stay much truer.

Since you've got a two screw bridge, a little float is ok, as long as you like it that way, and it's set up (intonation and action) properly.

That picture looks like it's up way too high, though.

I doubt you'll notice much difference in sustain, but you WILL notice that it's much trickier to keep intonated and in tune.

Ok, so are you not supposed to be able to make notes higher with the whammy bar? Because if the bridge is flush with body, then you can't.
Quote by ch0
Can anyone else help?
Quote by ch0
My strat bridge is flat on the body as well, and I can't rev up (make the notes higher as you say) my whammy either. Makes sense, since you can't push the bridge through the body eh?

You want to be able to rev up, heighten the bridge I guess. Although I think some Strat tremolo's have a sort of 'locked' tremblock that you can only push down on. Just talking speculation here... seems the most logical to me. So don't pin me on this
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Stratocaster '57 RI
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW
Quote by familybucket
Can anyone else help?

Honestly mate either way works it depends on whether or not it meets your needs. I prefer all mine sitting flush on the body but whatever works for you is best for you.