Ok, so I have been playing for a while, and been wanting to do a cover of a good acoustic song, but I always seem to start learning a song, then find another one, never finishing to learn one. I could play chords etc, to sing w/ the song, but I didn't know if that would be considered a "good" cover, thanks for your help!
Gear:
Alvarez Classical Guitar(don't know much about it).
Yamaha FG730S
Agile AL-2000 Black Cherry
Fender 25R Frontman Series II Combo
Johnny Cash - Hurt.
It's been done alot but if you do it right then people will loooooove you.

Jimmy Eat World - Middle
Awesome song and sounds better acoustically I think.

Stone Sour - Through Glass
Heart-felt song with sentimental feeling.

Flogging Molly - Laura
Brilliant song to play and very cathartic.

These are only suggestions from my experience, but take a look at them and see if you like them because they're really nice to play.
Gear:

Ibanez SR700
Ibanez GSR200
Yamaha RGX 121Z

Peavey Tour series 450 Head + Peavey 410 TVX Cab
VOX ADVT15

Line 6: Guitarport
through glass like headcrusher said is a great one.

And if you feel like adding a small bit of lead into the song i would cover wanted dead or alive by bon jovi that always goes over well, its very well known and is pretty fun to play.

Another good one is "Run" by collective soul
you could look at the nirvana unplugged if you like nirvana
Agree with above too....ie Through Glass. A relatively simple Radiohead one like Bullet Proof also sounds good on acoustic or Hurt but the Nine Inch Nails original if you want to go downbeat which in drop D is not too difficult. Still in drop D is Everlong By Foofighters which I think usually goes down well. Still fairly simple is Blur's Out Of Time. There are loads but its personal taste i suppose
What about wish you were here by pink floyd? what do ya'll think about that song? i was listening to it and playing it a little this afternoon, i really like the song.
Gear:
Alvarez Classical Guitar(don't know much about it).
Yamaha FG730S
Agile AL-2000 Black Cherry
Fender 25R Frontman Series II Combo