hi guys, any tips in playing in front of people? 'cause i get really nervous when i go on stage. and sometimes i forget some parts in playing songs. any tips? i'm gonna play on Thursday and Friday.
Guitars:

Squier Standard Telecaster
Takamine EG-240

Guitar Effects:

Korg AX5G Muti-Effects Pedal
Boss DS-2
Boss DD-7

Read and follow my tumblog

Follow me on twitter
Keep doing it until you are more comfortable - play in front of your friends, your family, anybody who you can convince to let you play to them. If its friends and family tell tehm you need to use them as a dummy audience to get your confidence up.

And remember - most of the audience can't play, and they don't even know when you make a mistake unless its a really huge mistake - and then if you just laugh it off and carry on playing they'll soon forget it.
Quote by zhilla
Keep doing it until you are more comfortable - play in front of your friends, your family, anybody who you can convince to let you play to them. If its friends and family tell tehm you need to use them as a dummy audience to get your confidence up.

And remember - most of the audience can't play, and they don't even know when you make a mistake unless its a really huge mistake - and then if you just laugh it off and carry on playing they'll soon forget it.

This. Most embarrassing moment I ever had was when I first started playing in front of my school and my friend was playing acoustic and I was playing electric. He broke 3 of his strings and I broke one of mine while bending. We laughed it off with the audience and then switched guitars and kept playing. It worked out well though, it managed to loosen us up a little bit. Or another time when we forgot to turn the vox mic on.

Stuff like that will happen, and you might get nervous and forget parts of songs, but it'll really be okay unless your audience is a bunch of pricks.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
At my school, me and some friends had to play infront of assemblies in the morning for a week (infront of years 7 - 11 - each year group on a different day if you get me).

Afterwards, i realised that it was quite a good way to build confidence, because while your still playing in a band infront of about 250ish people, the pressure isn't the same. We weren't playing so people would like our music (we were playing some covers, and we weren't strictly a band then anyway)
2 of us forgot a bit of the song and just laughed it off and rejoined again straight away, while that wasn't really professional, no one in the room cared anyway.

So, if you can do something like this at your school, deffinitely try
Thanks for the tips! I'm gonna play in my school on Thursday and in an event outside school on Friday! I'm excited and nervous at the same time! Thanks!
Guitars:

Takamine EG-240

Guitar Effects:

Boss DS-2
Boss DD-7

Follow me on twitter
As for messing up/forgetting parts of the song, the better you know and can play it, the less likely you will mess up.

So if you just learn so that you can just about scrape through while playing in your bedroom, then it's likely that with the pressure of playing in front of people you'll mess it up. If you practise the song until you can play it without thinking then you're a lot less likely to mess up.
A few things may help.

Find opportunities to play in front of people as often as possible. Play for friends, and family. Tell them that you are struggling with playing in front of people and that they would be helping you a lot by letting you give them an occasional mini performance. Explain to them that you aren't looking to have your playing critiqued. Let them know that this is for the purpose of getting comfortable performing. This is important. Having your playing criticized when you are simply trying to learn to perform properly will just make you feel discouraged. Let them know that you will know if you made a mistake with the song.

Here are a few suggestions:

Consider playing a song before or after dinner each night or maybe a few times per week. Holidays are also a good opportunity to perform for family. Who knows? You might start a new family tradition.

Get a group of your closet friends together one or two days a week at lunch and play a song for them.

If you take lessons ask your teacher to organize a recital. It wouldn't have to be anything formal. It could simply be a gathering with your teacher and a few other students.

If you attend a church inquire about playing along with the choir. A lot of churches do a "contemporary" service with modern sounding music performed on guitar bass and drums. This is often a great way to get regular practice playing in front of a very receptive audience.

It is always best to start out small and with very low pressure situations. When I started fronting my own band I only booked us in small out of the way clubs until I could develop my "stage legs". I am glad that I did. I learned a lot. While you may get comfortable playing guitar in front of people there is a lot more to performance than simply playing all the right notes, but that is a discussion for another time.

Happy Jamming!
Lou Lombardi
www.yourgutiarist.com/bog
www.LLStrangelove.com
It has a lot to do with experience. The more stage experience you have the less frightening it is. Don't think about how everyone is staring at you or expecting you to **** up or anything. Think of playing for people as them wanting to hear whatever it is you want to share with them. If all else fails, just do the old school and pretend everyone's in their underpants.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
If this helps m8 "Rod Stewart" many yrs ago when he 1st started singing in bands in the 60s was very shy and would half hide behind the other band members and drums etc

But he eventually got over his shyness and look where it got him later in life eh :-)
so dont despair.
CELTIC - 1st British Club To Win The European Cup In '67. Everyone A Scot. Hail! Hail!
find a hot chick and ask her to watch you playing naked if you can do that while she's giggling at yer lil winky you can play anywhere!
Quote by Lou Lombardi
A few things may help.

If you take lessons ask your teacher to organize a recital. It wouldn't have to be anything formal. It could simply be a gathering with your teacher and a few other students.

If you attend a church inquire about playing along with the choir. A lot of churches do a "contemporary" service with modern sounding music performed on guitar bass and drums. This is often a great way to get regular practice playing in front of a very receptive audience.

It is always best to start out small and with very low pressure situations. When I started fronting my own band I only booked us in small out of the way clubs until I could develop my "stage legs". I am glad that I did. I learned a lot. While you may get comfortable playing guitar in front of people there is a lot more to performance than simply playing all the right notes, but that is a discussion for another time.

Happy Jamming!
Lou Lombardi
www.yourgutiarist.com/bog
www.LLStrangelove.com

Definatly, I had a recital over the summer with my teacher and the rest of her students. I was the only electric ( I had my homemade rrv, looked like pure evil among all of the acustics.). I was also one of three teenagers there, with everyone else being little kids or their parents. After hearing Mary had a Little Lamb, Twinkle twinkle little star, etc... I plug in my distortion pedal and crank out Raining Blood ( now that I look back on it, it wasnt that hard). The point is, you shouldn't be nervous regardless of your audience, whether its a huge crowd in a stadium, or a handful of (horrified) parents of 7 year olds.

You should also try the church thing. Im in one at my church, but you wouldn't know it if you knew me or my musical tastes. I just use it as a way to play more guitar for more people(my church is reall ****ing big).
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Thanks guys! Just played in front of a lot of people hours ago for the 2nd time. Not as nervous as before. Whew! But i still made some mistakes but it's all good! Next performance tomorrow! Excited!
Guitars:

Takamine EG-240

Guitar Effects:

Boss DS-2
Boss DD-7

Follow me on twitter
Quote by procrastination
Thanks guys! Just played in front of a lot of people hours ago for the 2nd time. Not as nervous as before. Whew! But i still made some mistakes but it's all good! Next performance tomorrow! Excited!

Keep it up, and have fun!
Quote by Junior#1
Gilbert mutes with both hands. Palm muting and left hand muting. As for anchoring, he doesn't. He doesn't need to. After all, he's the creator of life, the universe, and everything.
I enjoy practising the song over and over again untill its drilled into your head and you can play it without really thinking about your hands. Its kinda like getting into the zone where your so comfortable with the song you dont have to really think.
GEAR :

Ibanez SA260FM
Burswood Strat Copy
Marshall GV-2 Distortion
Crate FlexWave 120 Amp

Quote by plainsight
Keep it up, and have fun!

Thanks! Tonight's the big night!

I've got a feeling, that tonight's gonna be a good night... lol
Guitars:

Takamine EG-240

Guitar Effects:

Boss DS-2
Boss DD-7

Follow me on twitter
tell us how it goes?
Quote by jemjabella42
People look too much into body language. Sometimes I don't make eye contact with people because they are ugly.
Nobody cares anyway nowdays if you just mess up abit.
half of the bands i work, you can hardly hear the guitar.
and peoples just going crazy , so dont worry about messing up.

but yeah, Just play in front of people :P
anyone you get the chane to, take it serious to. no joke.
within six months you will no longer be a wussy :]]]
just don,t think about it ,you,ll do fine .... you could always buy some cheap sungglasses