I saw Opeth in Dublin a couple of weeks ago.......
There f*cking brilliant live.

Anyway what are some interesting Opeth basslines i.e. that don't follow the guitars ALL the time? ( I know about Face of Melinda)

Also, their best album bass wise?
Coil has a beautiful bassline.

The Drapery Falls has a good one. Can't think of many more...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Face of Melinda on a fretless is almost as good as having sex. Seriously. Blackwater Park has some cool ones and look in to all of Damnation.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
The drapery falls has a bassline that made me want to play bass
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
I don't know Opeth well enough to recommend an album for bass, but Bleak from Blackwater Park is one of my favourites. Also, as someone said above, Coil is ear sex.

stratkat
In my opinion, their best bass stuff is off their first two albums, Orchid and Morningrise. I think most of it was on a fretless, love it.
Quote by Pew-Pew
In my opinion, their best bass stuff is off their first two albums, Orchid and Morningrise. I think most of it was on a fretless, love it.

that guy was brilliant. Too bad he got kicked out.

Anyway, Still Life has some good lines.
Aye, listen to The Twilight is my Robe, for example. Has some awesome little bass sections.

To Bid You Farewell is another good one.
Blackwater Park has a kick-ass part that starts at about 8 mins in.

Demon of the Fall is just plain fun.

Under the Weeping Moon is good all the way through but really gets going bass-wise at about 6:10 after the huge break. There's some great licks at around 7 minutes as well.

The first 4 minutes or so of The Apostle in Triumph are masterful, and the song continues with good lines throughout.

Hope that helped
"Spiralling to the ground below
Like Autumn leaves left in the wake to fade away"
Thanks guys!
Learnt Porcelain Heart just to get things going and the chord progressions are like nothing I've played before.....
Anyone have the Candlelight Years box-set? Thinking of getting it.
Quote by FionnRuadh

Anyone have the Candlelight Years box-set? Thinking of getting it.

I do, it's great value for money. Providing you don't mind not having the artwork/sleeves/indivdual cases for each album.

It does come with lyrics and credits though, so it's not totally barren.

I'd reccommend it heartily. The 3 albums are all fantastic.
"Spiralling to the ground below
Like Autumn leaves left in the wake to fade away"
Quote by Killed-By-Death
I do, it's great value for money. Providing you don't mind not having the artwork/sleeves/indivdual cases for each album.

It does come with lyrics and credits though, so it's not totally barren.

I'd reccommend it heartily. The 3 albums are all fantastic.

You would say that wouldn't you having thecover of orchid for your avatar....

Yah i think I will get as soon as I get the money.
Even though it's been said already, the Drapery Falls is probably my favourite Opeth bassline.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
just out of curiosity how hard is opeth stuff cause i love them a lot got 3 of their albums and one of my mate's literally follows akerfeldt's style like its a religion and the fact im a little intrigued.

I would say as my fav songs

Demon of the fall its just a brilliant song which just reeks of sheer opeth style. :P
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
I wouldn't say the basslines are particularly hard to play technically, but the rhythm can be very odd at times, like during the slap part in Blackwater Park. The basslines in Opeth's songs are pure musical genius, I haven't found a single one yet that doesn't fit the song or sounds out of place.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
For Martin, Damnation is amazing.

Orchid for Johan.

Also, April Ethereal has some pretty cool parts in it, and the Moor. As has been said, they are not very technically difficult but they sound AMAZING in context and are great examples of unorthodox metal playing.