Whenever I roll my volume down, I lose a considerable amount of treble. is this normal? if not, what do you guys consider as a good replacement? I play stuff like the who, the fall of troy, death cab, the white stripes, muse, portugal the man. budget would be 200 US, could go a little higher.
Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a shit?

Get a pedal, and turn the treble and bass up on it, then just switch it on and off to get louder or quieter...
Quote by Don't Stop
Put a piece of tape on the headstock and write "Gibson" on it.
If done properly, this should quadruple your sustain.

Quote by pitobodies
That post is probably the deepest, wisest, most mature thing to ever spill forth from the Pit.

Metallica!!
Maiden!!
A7X!!
What you need to do is wire your guitar 50s style. New pickups wouldn't hurt either though.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Im having a similar problem with Les Paul as well. I would recommend doing a complete rewire of the electronics; new pots, caps, wires, switch, and jack. Quality components there will make a big difference in tone. Then since the style you play seems to use more vintage sounding pickups, thats what I would recommend. Guitar Fetish has some pretty decent vintage style pickups. Seymour Duncans and DiMarzio also has some vintage PAF style pickups as well... Who to go with for pickups will be a matter of opinion.
The easiest and cheapest is the treble bleed mod. Some setups use a resister and cap together for a high pass filter. My carvin just had a single cap .001 or smaller works. Turn your volume down the treble bypasses thru the cap and to your output. I put em on a switch in my LPs to be able to turn it off if needed.

Thats the cheap and easy way. Less than 50 cents in parts. But most will tell you stock epi pickups arent the greatest. So you may want to set aside some money for some pickups. The treble bleed mods works great for any pickup tho.
how easy is it to solder that together? i've never soldered before, so would it be a good thing to start on or should i take it to someone who knows how to solder?

Quote by kingbabyduck
how easy is it to solder that together? i've never soldered before, so would it be a good thing to start on or should i take it to someone who knows how to solder?

have it done by someone who knows how to solder. if you wann alearn practice on cheap shitty guitars.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
ok, so if i'm gonna take it to someone who can do the soldering for me, I might as well get pickups as well. any suggestions? read first post for what i play and price range.

Soldering is fairly easy.
If you don't have a soldering gun you can buy one and some rosin for cheap.
Quote by EchoxOath
SG has officially won this thread.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
there are no words to describe how truly epic this is.

Quote by SGstriker
I think you win the award for the coolest member of '08
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
What you need to do is wire your guitar 50s style. New pickups wouldn't hurt either though.

+1

or fit treble bleed capacitors to the volume controls. EDIT: tackleberry beat me to it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i went from an epiphone to a gibson les paul, and i could immediately notice the difference between the pickups. mine has burstbuckers and they have alot more clarity and are less muddy. that being said, gibson pickups by themselves are a bit overpriced, so id check out some seymour duncans etc.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

It doesnt take a whole lot of skill w a soldering iron to add a treble bleed cap. Shouldnt even need any solder. Just need to get the existing solder hot and insert the legs of the cap.
ok. ill get a schematic and see how it goes. wish me luck

It's unlikely that the pickups are anything to do with this problem in particular. It's important to note that there will rarely be any reason other than basic tone to change pickups; they rarely go wrong and there isn't much to get wrong; any perceived problems with the functionality is usually due to faulty wiring around the pickup or similar. That in mind, I'd suggest you save the money you're intending to spend on new pickups for something you know will be worth it; pickups do not make a huge difference to your tone on their own, but at the same time they are not the kind of thing you "might as well" buy on the side.
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
This is the best answer thus far, I do not like the treble bleed mod personally. If one has a les paul setup, '50s style wiring is easy and imo, sounds the best.
Quote by al112987
This is the best answer thus far, I do not like the treble bleed mod personally. If one has a les paul setup, '50s style wiring is easy and imo, sounds the best.

yeah, the problem with treble bleeds is that sometimes you can get too many highs and it thins out the sound and makes it a bit sparklier- great if you only roll down your volume to get a clean tone, not so great if you also roll it down slightly to get a less distorted, but still overdriven, tone. Though you can experiment with the cap values, presumably...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Any of those kits are overpriced. Alpha pots are 1.75$ and CTS are 3.25$. Orange drop caps are all of 85 cents. You wont be able to hear the difference between the expensive "vintage" caps and the little green ones sold at radio shack for 50 cents, even orange drops are over kill for tone control in a guitar.

And yes its pretty simple to mess with the values of the treble bleed caps .001 is what many use but smaller values work to. Solder sockets to the lugs or a switch and you can swap em out.
Ya I figured they would be waaaayyy more expensive. I found a local electronics shop and am going to go with my friend who knows how to solder.

Quote by Tackleberry
Any of those kits are overpriced. Alpha pots are 1.75$ and CTS are 3.25$. Orange drop caps are all of 85 cents. You wont be able to hear the difference between the expensive "vintage" caps and the little green ones sold at radio shack for 50 cents, even orange drops are over kill for tone control in a guitar.

And yes its pretty simple to mess with the values of the treble bleed caps .001 is what many use but smaller values work to. Solder sockets to the lugs or a switch and you can swap em out.
I find the taper of the RS pots much more usable than stock CTS pots. Are they overpriced? Of course, $14 for a pot is ridiculous, but in the end, they're still a good enough amount better than your typical CTS pots that it's not completely ludicrous to pay that price.

And caps are one of those things that people will continue to hamper on and on about how different types don't make a bit of difference, and maybe it IS just a placebo effect but ever since I changed to PIO caps, I feel like the entire range tone is much more usable than beforehand. I just picked up a cheap set of NOS Russians on Ebay, exact same things as the Luxe bumblebee reissues (for about a third of the price). it's not like $10 is going to bankrupt you anyway.
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 29, 2009,