Disclaimer: Pardon my lack of instrument knowledge.

Ok, so this is my college scene. Our Dean has decided in getting us instruments for the college band.

Our UPPER limit is 2100 $ but less than that will surely help in getting us our instruments quickly.

The instruments we need, in order of highest priority to lowest, are:

1. Drum kit (Double bass,obviously)
2. 2 Guitar amps ( 50 W or so?)
3. Bass Guitar (No idea)
4. 1 Bass Amp. ( No idea)

I need urgent reply because I have to submit the details by the end of this month.

What I am thinking right now:
1. Mapex Starter series ( M series?) <-- dont know about the series
2. LANEY TFX1 50-WATT ??
3. LTD B-50 (around 300$) or Fender Squier Affinity Precision (less than 300$)??
4. Marshall MB30 (around 200 $)??

This is just my small estimate. I am open to any/all ideas.
Originally Posted by [Freezer_Burn]
Never judge what a girl says by facebook alone (unless it's something along the lines of "Let's ****").
Need more info. What kind of music is it? What is it for? Where are you going to play? What is your quest? What kind of college band? Details man, details....
Quote by xxdarrenxx

You know music is like 100% sound right?

Affordable prices on Logo designs and band merch. PM me for details.

Obligatory band link \/
www.myspace.com/resetred
We guys had started jamming around 4 months back for which we use to bring our own practice amps(small 20 W) and drum kit(drummer's).
We have performed in our college for some society's orientation(cover songs of Metallica, Motorhead, Limp bizkit, Green Day, etc).

Our basic problem:
As the drummer is already in a band(that too a good one) and lives quite far from the college, it isnt feasible for him to bring his kit to the college everyday(obvious reasons).

1. We have basic influences like Hard Rock, metal, thrash, progressive. Currently doing covers.
2. Its for the college, in particular Our Band, but everyone will be allowed to play on it.
3. We will play in a room provided to us by the college.
4. We people are pretty serious in forming a band, but for know it helps in fighting boredom in the college. Also, we aim at participating in competitions, etc.
Never judge what a girl says by facebook alone (unless it's something along the lines of "Let's ****").
Oh, i forgot to mention that I belong to India so not all instrument manufacturers may be available here.

For rough idea of what IS available here, you can visit: www.bajaao.com

PS: Site shows current AVAILABLE stuff.
I currently own a cheap 20W practice amp which isnt audible in front of the drums. So will the 15W Vox be audible???
Quote by vageesh89
I currently own a cheap 20W practice amp which isnt audible in front of the drums. So will the 15W Vox be audible???

A 15 watt solidstate amp... no chance at all.

A 15 watt tube amp... will probably put up a good fight, but if the skin-smasher is real heavy handed... the amp may or may not be drowned out, depending on which specific amp you're talking about.

EDIT: My apologies. I only just realised you were referring to the 15 watt Vox. I thought you were asking about a 15 watt valve amp.

In that case, no, the Vox will still be drowned out by the drummer.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Oct 28, 2009,
Vox Valvetronix amps are NOT tube amps, they are hybrid amps. Although the tube is wired in with the power amp, and there is a noticeable difference in volume, the volume difference is still not constituted for use in a band setting... especially at 15w.
My friend has the 30w version and it, on the other hand, is plenty loud in certain situations... it may still need mic'd up, though. I used a 30w SS amp for jazz band in an auditorium, so it should work fine, as long as you aren't scooping your mids horrendously.

I don't know what the Rs->USD conversion is.. that would be nice to know. In the OP, you stated in dollars, which doesn't help at all to ease the confusion because different economies have different things alongside retail.

Drums
Bass Guitar
Bass Amp
Guitar amps (1) Guitar Amps (2)

The VT's are superior to the ADVT's in every way. I personally don't like Cubes, but they would fit your 'metal' ticket right on.
The bass guitar is good, I used one when I played with my old band on certain songs. The amp, not so much, but it will work.
The drums work fine. I've seen them, and they don't sound bad, but nothing spectacular.

You've got a really limited choice of gear on that site, so this is all I could figure out.

If I came off as a prick, it's because I have a midterm exam in my Engineering class tomorrow... it's going to be hell.
Last edited by dudey5691 at Oct 28, 2009,
Sorry for not mentioning the Rs->USD conversion, its around 50Rs. -> 1 USD.

I know that the site does have limited brands and kits, but it also depends on their availability.

1. The drum kit you showed is pretty expensive (60% of our budget). We were planning on getting a drum kit for about (35,000-40,000 Rs. -> 700$-800$)

2. Bass Guitar seems fine.

3. Bass Amp is again on the expensive side.

4. Amp 1 has good reviews but still would it solve the purpose of occasional playing in an auditorium(open and closed)??

I think Amp 2 would definitely serve if we play in our auditorium(both closed and open).

Also, here is the link of a local shops that show the available brands of amps and stuff:

1. Furtados

2. Bhargava's

Also, you can quote instruments from your sites (guitar center,musician's friend, etc.) and I can ask my local suppliers whether they stock that. And could you please give a rough estimate of that instruments cost??
Would it be feasable to buy smaller amps and get a P.A. system to mic it all through? This would solve the problem of quality at high volumes and the system would only need to be brought around places that do not have a P.A. system. IMO
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Owner of an 1/4 watt custom combo.

Quote by Garou1911
^This man speaks the language of win.

Donate to my cause
Quote by vageesh89
Sorry for not mentioning the Rs->USD conversion, its around 50Rs. -> 1 USD.

I know that the site does have limited brands and kits, but it also depends on their availability.

1. The drum kit you showed is pretty expensive (60% of our budget). We were planning on getting a drum kit for about (35,000-40,000 Rs. -> 700$-800$)

4. Amp 1 has good reviews but still would it solve the purpose of occasional playing in an auditorium(open and closed)??

I think Amp 2 would definitely serve if we play in our auditorium(both closed and open).

Also, here is the link of a local shops that show the available brands of amps and stuff:

1. Furtados

2. Bhargava's

Also, you can quote instruments from your sites (guitar center,musician's friend, etc.) and I can ask my local suppliers whether they stock that. And could you please give a rough estimate of that instruments cost??

How big an auditorium? Seriously, you might need something a bit bigger for a real gig... maybe a Bugera?
You have a PA system already?
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
We do not have a PA system yet and I dont think WE should get that.
A good PA system would put a dent in our budget, about 600-800$ big. So we are not going for a PA system.

In the recent gig we did in our college, we had hired 2 MG250DFX(40$ each) with a PA system and it worked fine.
Quote by vageesh89
Ok, so my drummer is suggesting:

1. 1 Mapex VX series - 37k = 700 $
2. 1 Ibanez GSR 200 Bass - 14k = 270$
3. 1 Marshal MG250DFZ 50+50W - 21K = 400$
4. Laney RB2 30W - 9k = 190$

Any suggestions?

You're probably going to want to stay away from the MG stuff. I mean, if that's the best you can go by all means go for it. The bass amp however, is not even going to be heard. 30w bass amp is almost nothing. If you're gigging unmicced for the bass amp, I think you'll want at least somewhere around 120w.
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
Quote by vageesh89

Switch the drums to the Tama set. I've used those, and they are only okay, though. Definitely lose tension quickly, though.

Switch the bass amp to the Laney mentioned a few posts above this.

Amp2 will work fine, just don't crank it with the mids scooped.
Amp1 would work, too, but may have need mic.