I'm probably going to show my ignorance more than ever with this question.. but I guess we all have to start somewhere, might as well start at the bottom :-)

I've read all about pitch and timbre and head/chest voices... etc... but I don't know how all of this combines to get the actual "voice" that I hear when somebody sings. For example, one person can sing a note or a scale and they sound like kermit the frog. Another person will sing the same notes and their voice will pure and rich and clear. What makes a voice at a particular pitch sound "good" or "bad"? When I sing I think it often sounds more like i'm whining than singing... but I think I'm on key most of the time... my singing "feels" good , like I'm on with the music I'm hearing. It just doesn't sound good. I'd love to know how to work on this.
Resonance
Vibrato
Pronunciation
Pitch

Those are all the factors I can think of, and the first is probably the one you're looking for
Quote by Declan87
Resonance
Vibrato
Pronunciation
Pitch

Those are all the factors I can think of, and the first is probably the one you're looking for

And Style

Style is simply HOW you sing the note (no need to get more complex then that). If you sing a note bright, whiny, deep, or light, that's style. Developing a good style is just as important as anything else, and can help set you apart from "those other singers". To develop a style you like, simply mimic your favorite singers, and try not to do things your least favorite singers do. Eventually, you'll find a style you like that makes you unique.