Ok here's the deal. I've had the valveking head and cab for nearly a year now, and i've been really satisfied with it and it's capabilities. However i've been noticing that many people claim that it has awful stock speakers. As i haven't tried it with other speakers, i cant give my own opinion.

So i was wondering, if i were to change the speakers, which should i go for, and how much would it cost. This is bearing in mind that i like to play from most metal genres, and occasionly some clean stuff
"Sign your guitar? I'll sign your arse if you want me to!" - Herman Li, at a guitar clinic in Malaysia

There is a UG'r that posts in the Valveking Thread that actually likes the stock speakers so would you be replacing speakers because you want to improve the tone or because other people despise the Valveking speaker?

Personally, I think it is a great sounding amp once you replace the speaker. I put a Eminence Man O War into my 112.

For you, I would think cost would be an issue considering you have 4 to replace if you decide to do that. My suggestion would be 4 WGS Veteran 30s (warehouseguitarspeakers.com). They are about $70 each. They are a Celestion Vintage 30 clone and some claim are better then the original.

So...that would be $280 plus tax and shipping.

Another option may be to try to sell your current cab, add x amount of money and buy a new or used cab that suits your needs. I can help you with that too if you want.
thanks for that ^ but im in the UK,,, and whatabout celestion gt12k-100s they loook amazing
"Sign your guitar? I'll sign your arse if you want me to!" - Herman Li, at a guitar clinic in Malaysia

Quote by ShredFlame
thanks for that ^ but im in the UK,,, and whatabout celestion gt12k-100s they loook amazing

I really don't like the G12K-100's but that's just me.
Yeah, I think I'd stick with the Heritage or Vintage series if you are going to go Celestion. What does a Vintage 30 cost over there? What about a used 212 cab that already has what you want. If you go the 412 route, you can always put speakers in a an X pattern for a more versatile or balanced sound.

Check/ask in the Valveking Thread too.
so what would you suggest for metal in the heritage and vintage series? and sorry im only 14 i dont have much experience with this stuff, what do you mean by an X pattern>?

Well, I've already mentioned the Vintage 30 - very versatile speaker, popular with metalers, easy to resell. Also read through the OP in the Ultimate Speaker Thread. You can find that in the list of Banned threads Sticky. Look for good clones of V30s over there as I'm not to familiar with what is available across the pond.

X patter means you have speaker brand A diagonal to speaker brand B

A..B
B..A

Edit: You are looking at what, roughly 400e each? You could probably sell your VK cab for at least 100e and that would give you 500e toward a new cab.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 27, 2009,
Vintage 30 in my Valveking 112 combo, I like it. I never actually heard it stock, it was modded when I bought it.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
Quote by ShredFlame
so what would you suggest for metal in the heritage and vintage series? and sorry im only 14 i dont have much experience with this stuff, what do you mean by an X pattern>?

Two common X patterns:

V30s + Greenbacks
V30s + G12-100s

If you can, you should go down to a store and try a few different cabinets with different speakers. Not to sound like an ass, but every speaker has lovers and haters and they have a huge impact on the sound.

I personally love V30s both live and recording, but some dislike their mids and highs. The Warehouse V30 clones (if you can find them here) have a smoother top end. Another good speaker similar to stock V30s are the Mesa V30s. Those are a bit darker than the regulars.

In any case, I would go for 4x V30 speakers, metal industry standard for good reason. If you feel frisky you can try an X pattern with greenbacks or G12-100s though. I also tried a Valveking with G12T-75 speakers and it wasn't too bad. You could dig it if you're into classic trash. In fact, I might prefer G12T-75 for live and V30s for recording. Not sure, I get great tones with either.

*edit*

If you can sell the cab, you might be able to afford a killer 2x12. That would be my pick.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Oct 27, 2009,
I know tayden does celestion clones, but I haven't tried them. Eminence would be worth a try, too, the governor is its v30-style speaker, but again, i haven't tried it.

Might even work out cheaper to sell the cab and buy a better cab with quality stock speakers. Though you'd have to want the stock speakers for it to be economically viable.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd get a new cab, a speaker change is cheap and effective when you have the 112 or 212 combos, but 4 new speakers are a bit too much, especially if you can't go with WGS. Sell your cab and get a 1960 cab or something (they go for ~$400 dollars used on craigslist)

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

hmmm i think selling my cab would be an idea to consider, if we assume that i will,, then which other cabs are available, im willing to spend a bit more to get a good quality one

Quote by ShredFlame
hmmm i think selling my cab would be an idea to consider, if we assume that i will,, then which other cabs are available, im willing to spend a bit more to get a good quality one

What would your budget be?
WTLTL 2011
well depends how much id get for the cab, and then probably 200

Thats only about 400 total is my guess. I'd save up to 500 and get an ENGL or Orange 2x12, or go used for a Bogner 2x12.

Also a lot of vader and avatar fanboys here, but I've never tried those cabs. Not sure they ship to the UK for a good price either.
WTLTL 2011
hmmm i could stretch to 500, but do these cabs come with good stocks?

Quote by ShredFlame
hmmm i could stretch to 500, but do these cabs come with good stocks?

Hells yes.

V30s for the most part. Still my fav. for metal, industry standard for a reason. Try before you buy though.

Both around 500 pounds:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/engl_e212v_gitarrenbox.htm

Darker tone:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/orange_ppc212_gitarrenbox.htm

Ofcourse, you should check if you can get something used.

*edit*

I'm personally using a Framus 2x12 with V30s which is around 350 if I'm not mistaken. Not nearly as nice as an ENGL cab, but it'll do the job.
WTLTL 2011
yeah thanks guys,, youve been a great help ,, if only i could find a place that stocks these cabs. im going to florida at christmas, you reckon i could find them at the guitar center in miami?

Quote by ShredFlame
yeah thanks guys,, youve been a great help ,, if only i could find a place that stocks these cabs. im going to florida at christmas, you reckon i could find them at the guitar center in miami?

The ENGL perhaps, but I don't even see Orange on the GC website.
WTLTL 2011
I don't think buying a cab in Miami and then shipping it to the UK and paying VAT taxes makes sense. You should be able to find a used Marshall, Orange, Laney, Lopoline cab fairly easily. Check your local craigslist (or equivolant), Ebay, forum gear sales, local band list type gear sales etc.
When I bought my 112 I played a used one with an Eminence "Swamp Thing" and between it and the stock VK it was a world of difference. I found that "Swamp Thing" to be a bit bluesy for my liking, but Eminence has a speaker called "The Wizard" which I am going to be replacing the stock VK speaker for. It is a really nice speaker for cleans yet it can get pretty aggressive for overdriven tones. It suits my taste really well.

As for your playing metal, I have heard alot of people touting the Texas Heat also by Eminence. But given that you are in the UK it may be a bit pricey over there.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I don't think buying a cab in Miami and then shipping it to the UK and paying VAT taxes makes sense. You should be able to find a used Marshall, Orange, Laney, Lopoline cab fairly easily. Check your local craigslist (or equivolant), Ebay, forum gear sales, local band list type gear sales etc.

yeah, definitely. Good quality, reasonable value cabs is one of the few guitar things you can get in the UK.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't think he intends to buy and ship, just try them out there.
WTLTL 2011
ah, touche. Sorry.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
ah, touche. Sorry.

It matters not, your point about the european brands stands
WTLTL 2011
^good point!

Quote by ShredFlame

you might be able to find a used Marshall or Orange cab in their used section but most of the decent new cabs will be from Mesa, Peavey, Egnator, etc.

There is probably at least one Guitar Center, Sam Ash and a decent handful of smaller outlets in Miami. If you give us links or a list of stuff from those store we might be able to narrow it down a bit. Honestly, the speakers will make the biggest difference followed by wood and build quality.
yes mark is right im only testing in the US

Quote by Mark G
It matters not, your point about the european brands stands

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You don't have to replace all four speakers at once. Replace two. If you like, replace the other two when you have the cash. The new speakers will be brighter and less muddy than the stocks and the improvement in tone will still be noticeable even though you didn't replace all four.