Hi All,
I currently run through a Deluxe Reverb but am looking to get some different tones so of course I'm turning to Marshall. I'm looking for a grungier tone so I can change it up a bit more. Bands I think of are RHCP, Rage/Audioslave, Pearl Jam, SP, etc. I don't need a half stack and spend more time in the studio then on the road so any suggestions what would be suit those needs? I'm thinking JCM 800 flavor. Let me know.

Thanks,
Lank
My Gear:
Guitars: Vintage LP, Martin DX-1, Epi Viola Bass,
Amps: Marshall JMD501
Effects: Empty Set right now
Well, you could always get a clone, for grungie type tones i'd suggest a Silver Jub/2204 clone

Tom Morello uses a Dual Channel JCM800 (2205 i think), he mostly get's his sound through that

Ceriatone could build you a great Marshall clone in a combo style box though, i'd take a look at their JCM800 2204 model
I dunno what to recommend, but I'm just posting to say that you shouldn't limit yourself to one brand. Some of Marshall's new stuff are way too overpriced and aren't even that good (for example MGs).
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Marshall DSL401 , 40 watts of a valve amp is enough for gigs , sounds great and is the cheapest of the marshall JCM range
Vintage ICON Peter Green Replica Les Paul
Epiphone LP Standard
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 (New Valves )
Boss TU-2 & SD-1
EHX #1 Echo
solo, very true. Just like Gibson's low brand LPs and SGs are crap and you have to pay a fortune for a good one. I've played the MG stuff and I'm not a fan. Definitely looking for a nicer higher gain tube amp compared to my Cleaner sounding Fender. Of course, first thoughts are Marshall. Of course getting a nicer one now a days probably means clones or older used ones.

Lank
My Gear:
True, but as said previously, the DSLs are pretty good amps, so are the JVMs, and the JVMs are very versatile from what I've tried
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
and I'm all about the versatility as being a family man tightens the budget ever so more.
My Gear:
whats your budget? if you want something real nice for that kind of tone, id probably suggest an orange or laney combo like a rocker 30 or tiny terror, or since you have a good clean tone with your current fender amp, you could try a marshall like distortion pedal like a zvex box of rock, marshall guvnor, radial bones etc.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

High End Budget - 1500$

If I could keep it around 1k that would be great but no higher than 1500.

Thanks,
Lank
My Gear:
assuming you already have a cab, a JVM head should run about 1800$, so I'm guessing that it's a bit much. I dunno, I suggest getting a used JCM 800 (1000-1200 USD), or a DSL 401, but not sure how much those go for
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Does it have to be a combo? if not I suggest you get a ceriatone Silver Jube. it'll nail everything you've said so far.

http://www.ceriatone.com/productSubPages/2250/BS2550.htm

if not I suggest a JCM800 Combo or a JCM900 4102. both will do it great.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
It doesn't have to be a combo but it's not a necessity to have a half-stack. I'll definitely check out the ceriatone stuff and the DSL 401 runs for like 500-600 used and the DSL 601 is like 600-700 so I'll way my options and give them all a shot.

Lank
My Gear:
Quote by lank81
It doesn't have to be a combo but it's not a necessity to have a half-stack. I'll definitely check out the ceriatone stuff and the DSL 401 runs for like 500-600 used and the DSL 601 is like 600-700 so I'll way my options and give them all a shot.

Lank

Trust me, you'd be way better off with a SJ then a DSL any day.

You should really check out Ceriatone
Boston any good speaker cab choices to go with the Jub Clone?

Lank
My Gear:
Avatar Cabs are great bang for your buck cabs.

Also check your local craigslist.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Avatar's are a nice price. I could definitely do an Avatar 2x12 cab and the ceriatone Jub for like 1300$ Not bad.

I'll search craig's and ebay as well for cabs though

Lank
My Gear:
Quote by ze monsta
How long till someone says Valvepower?

TS ain't in europe.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by lank81
Avatar's are a nice price. I could definitely do an Avatar 2x12 cab and the ceriatone Jub for like 1300$ Not bad.

I'll search craig's and ebay as well for cabs though

Lank

Sounds good man. Isn't it a great feeling when a gear plan really starts to become a reality? Man, I love it.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Yea, thanks for all the help. I'm not a self proclaimed gear head by far. There's a lot of stuff I don't know about but when you hear about new companies, sites, etc... it's great. I'm definitely excited and have a good starting point. Thanks for the help guys.

Lank
My Gear:
Pair your amp with a Rothwell Hellbender (PGS did a shootout between a plexi and a fender tweed twin with a Hellbender and Andy from PGS said the Fender souned more Marshally than the Plexi)
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Anytime man. Hang out here for a bit, you will become a pathetic GAS fiend like the rest of us....
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals