hi,

I'm a guitarist and i'm in the middle of writing a song.
I already have a good chord progression, but i want to start the song with a bassline.
I have a digitech rp250 so i can detune my guitar 1 octave lower to make it sound like a bass.
But i'm not too sure how bassline's sound the best?

so let's say the root of the guitar part goes

A---5--5--3--3--1--1--

should i play the same thing 1 octave lower?
it sounds ok to me but it also sounds to simple to me.
I don't want to use basseffects or anything. I just want to know how to write a solid bassline that can go troughout the song without getting boring.
(eg. following the main guitar exactly 1 octave lower).
Are their any bassplayers that could help me out on that part?
Like explain how the bass/rythm guitar relationship goes?
what intervals i could use etc..
Try:
G------7----5--3-----
D----------------------
A---5----3--------1--
E----------------------

Or drop D the bass and do the first bit an octave lower.

G------------5--3-----
D----0-----------------
A--------3---------1--
D-0--------------------

etc...
Last edited by Horlicks at Oct 27, 2009,
what kind of notes are they? Sixteenths, eights, quarter notes? If it is possible, try doubling the playing speed and use chromatic passing tones.
like this:

A -5-5-5-4-3-3-3-2-1-1-1-0-
you would probably get better help in either the bass forum or musicians talk. Bass would have, well the bassists. they know the instrument and can explain how you could use it. MT has the theory guys, and they can explain from a theory point things like multiple voices or harmonizing (parallel harmonize using chromatic passing tones on bass? mmmmm) and stuff like that.
There is no "correct" answer to this question really. It depends on what style music it is, what kind of meter/tempo you're playing in, and, mot importantly, what you like. The really great bass players have a knack for playing things that flow, aren't too busy and move the track forward. Hugh McDonald's work on Livin' on a prayer by Bon Jovi is a great example of a bassline that transforms a song into something better; remove it and the track doesn't have the kind of forward push that it does (especially how it changes for the various parts of the song).

Listen to the great bass players in the genre you're writing. That's were you get your ideas and don't care about being derivative. McCartney, Jamerson, Verdine White, Chuck Rainey and Rocco Prestia have pretty much played everything worth playing in popular music already.
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News