I want to buy a tube bass amp. My first choice was the Fender Bassman Head, but they are rare and expensive. I really like the sound of it and I like to play through it. Can you recomend me good tube amps? I play stoner/psychedelic rock, if that helps.
Thanks.
Ampeg svt 2
Mesa 400/400+
Orange tube amps
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I hate to break it to you, but any tube bass amplifier is going to be expensive. Tube amps in general are pricey, but once you move into bass amplification, it takes a lot more tubes to get the job done. That translates into more money. Comparatively speaking, the 300-watt Fender Bassman isn't expensive.

The other problem with tube amplifiers is that there is a practical limit to just how much power a tube amplifier can crank out. This is because all of those tubes and transformers cause the amp to weigh a ton. Anything over about 400-watts RMS is going to be too heavy to lift. This is why solid-state bass amplifiers rule the roost, so to speak. Tube amplifiers often sound louder than comparable solid-state ampilifiers because tube amps can exceed their RMS output rating (for a while, at least). Of course, this causes you to burn your tubes faster. Even then, a 300-watt tube amplifier isn't going to be nearly as loud as some 1000-watt solid-state monster with an efficient bass cabinet. But hey, how much power do you really need?

The Fender Bassman tube head is a first-rate choice. Ampeg still makes two versions of its iconic SVT 300-watt head, and Marshall offers the VBA 400-watt tube bass amplifier. Any of these will serve you well; though I don't envy you if you have to carry them up and down stairs to get to your gigs.
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Oct 27, 2009,
I've heard good things about the Peavey VB-3, and it certainly looks good from the pictures. But I haven't seen one in any of the shops. Has it been released yet?
You could always have a look into hybrid heads, I use a Hartke LH500, wich as a valve preamp with a solidstate power amp. Although, you'll need an overdrive to push the tubes, as it's a very clean sounding head. It's relativly light, weighing in at about 25 pounds, but it is rackmountable & pretty cheap.
If you want a tubish sound, look into a solid state amp with a tube preamp, perhaps.

I dont know which companies make them, other than Hartke.

Perhaps another option is look for a vintage amp?

EDIT: Curse you ^^^^ :P
Quote by LordBishek
Vibrators, Schmibrators. They can't ignore my girth.
Last edited by Brodie337 at Oct 27, 2009,
Quote by Brodie337
If you want a tubish sound, look into a solid state amp with a tube preamp, perhaps.

I dont know which companies make them, other than Hartke.

Perhaps another option is look for a vintage amp?

EDIT: Curse you ^^^^ :P

Great minds think alike

Thinking about it, the Orange Bass Terror might be up your street
Quote by higgins666
You could always have a look into hybrid heads, I use a Hartke LH500, wich as a valve preamp with a solidstate power amp. Although, you'll need an overdrive to push the tubes, as it's a very clean sounding head. It's relativly light, weighing in at about 25 pounds, but it is rackmountable & pretty cheap.

Yeah, I liked that one. But the thing is that what I like about tube amps is the headroom. I like when I turn the volume way up on a Bassman and hear those valves distorting. Can I get that kind of sound with a SS or a Hybrid?
Probably not. Even with a tube preamp section, hybrid bass amplifiers are not designed the same as hybrid guitar amplifiers. The tube preamp is designed to make the tone sound "warm," rather than meant to be overdriven. The only hybrid bass amplifier I can think of that might get you that sort of overdrive is the EBS Fafner head. This amplifier is legendary among a lot of studio players. Unfortunately, it will cost you as much as an all-tube head.

Gear Acquisition Syndrome is a royal bitch.
a tube preamp will give you a bit of the tube warmth but there's a huge difference between an all tube amp and a hybrid. They cheapest new all tube bass amp I can think of is the Peavey vb-2. I own it and love it. pretty versatile too. If you want some dirt in your tone you can dial that in. if you want a totally clean tone you can get that too. bright and deep tones too. I suggest you try one and see if you like the feel of the response and such.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Tubes in the preamp are a gimmick, the real benefit from a tube amp is in the output stage.
As other have said 100% tube/valve amps are expensive and far heavier than SS amps mainly due to the weight of the transformers.
Matamp in the UK which was started by the legendary Matt Mathias who designed all the classic 'Orange' amps of the 70s is still going and sells direct to the public in the UK, their amps are still reasonably priced for valve/tube amps.
Try this link you can visit the factory and see your amp being built I know the current owner quite well.
http://www.matamp.co.uk/home.htm
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Revelation
They cheapest new all tube bass amp I can think of is the Peavey vb-2. .

Traynor yba200 runs a bit cheaper, you can probably pick up a used one for under 500 us. Its 200watts is probably a bit over-rated though while the peavey is under-rated. I play through one and keep up with a reasonable drummer just fine. After a preamp tube swap I absolutely love the tone.

If you want even cheaper tube sound but don't need a ton of power, you can look for vintage traynor ybas and fender bassman amps, the bassman 10 models and old traynor yba models go for pretty cheap.
What about an ampeg VBH or RBH i can remember the name of it but its like 50 watts, great little amp, they pop fore very small money.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul