time has come to decide what i want to do after highschool. in a few more months i will be out of high school and will be going to college or trade school. thing is i dont no what i want to do and was just wondering what people have got out of music programs at college. was it worth the time and money? did you get a lot out of it?

yea, life is getting harder.
it all depends on what field of the music industry you want to go into. if you want to be a studio engineer or something to that nature, you're going to need a few years of school.
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
Unless you are some kind of musical genius, I wouldn’t recommend getting a degree in music. The jobs that you could get with a musical degree are scarce and don’t pay very well. I think you are better off getting an education in a field that is in demand to start off with. After that you could explore careers in music while still being able to support yourself.
Quote by rhettro
Unless you are some kind of musical genius, I wouldn’t recommend getting a degree in music. The jobs that you could get with a musical degree are scarce and don’t pay very well. I think you are better off getting an education in a field that is in demand to start off with. After that you could explore careers in music while still being able to support yourself.

Spoken by someone who knows nothing about majoring in music...

My tuba teacher makes $44,000 a year from lessons alone. Thats not even considering the 3 schools he teaches at, the money he makes from his brass quintet, and the 4 orchestras he plays in.

He lives in the west loop of chicago and can watch lollapalooza from his house.

You can definitely make it as a music major, you just have to have the disicpline to spend 6 hours a day in a practice room for the next couple years
Quote by tubatom868686
Spoken by someone who knows nothing about majoring in music...

My tuba teacher makes $44,000 a year from lessons alone. Thats not even considering the 3 schools he teaches at, the money he makes from his brass quintet, and the 4 orchestras he plays in.

He lives in the west loop of chicago and can watch lollapalooza from his house.

You can definitely make it as a music major, you just have to have the disicpline to spend 6 hours a day in a practice room for the next couple years

Good tuba players are not exactly a dime a dozen like guitar players. Personally I would major in something other than music. Something that will guarantee you a job. While doing that you can always do music. This of course is from someone who was a music major for 2 years and now is going to go to law school so...
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by Led man32
Good tuba players are not exactly a dime a dozen like guitar players. Personally I would major in something other than music. Something that will guarantee you a job. While doing that you can always do music. This of course is from someone who was a music major for 2 years and now is going to go to law school so...

this

minor in music or double major in music. But have a back up plan if you want to support yourself. a music minor was the best decision i have made in college so far. it compliments my engineering degree nicely, especially with the music-tech/engineering classes
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
No.

Just be dedicated to your instrument, join a band and gig you ass off.

You'll end up paying 60 K a year for something that you can essentially do/learn on your own.

Most of the people wh o got out of Berklee ended up at the local GC. I'm dead ****ing serious....
--Gear--

5 piece blonde sparkle Gretch drum kit

-Drummers need their own forum-
Quote by Phil Collins
No.

Just be dedicated to your instrument, join a band and gig you ass off.

You'll end up paying 60 K a year for something that you can essentially do/learn on your own.

Most of the people wh o got out of Berklee ended up at the local GC. I'm dead ****ing serious....

The ones who didnt work very hard, maybe. But a degree from Berklee still goes a long way. It can pretty much guarantee you steady work on cruise ships, as well as big band gigs, lounge gigs, etc...
Here's what it comes down to: If you do not love playing jazz/lounge/showband/classical music, do not go to school. It will not help you become a rock star. But if you want to make a decent living (you won't become massively wealthy, but you'll do ok), and play music, you will need to be able to sight read at an extremely high level, you will need to be able to play a very wide variety of genres, and you will need to hustle your ass off. School can help you will all of that, except the hustling.
In other words, it comes down to this.... "What would you want to DO with your music degree?"

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.