ok i know there is a thread on jimmy pages effects, but i was wondering is there any cheap alternatives out there to replicate his effects used on songs like, whole lotta love, dazed and confused, black dog, the ocean etc?
Wanna know what gear i have? check my profile
Black Beauty Owners Group
Muddy Waters invented electricity

Paul Kossoff = Genius
well, first you gotta start with a vox wah pedal (thats what he used). Equip your Les Paul with gibson burstbuckers (thats what page used), and last but not least a good amp. Jimmy Page used marshalls most of the way through his zep career. I use a Marshall 100 Lead Mosfet. It's and 80s model (no longer made today), and it has some sick dirty awesome distortion, especially when you crank it. You can buy the heads for $400 give or take, then jsut buy a cheap marshall cab. if you have trouble locating the amp head search it up on craigslist or ebay. but if you want real page sound you should buy an old school marshall.
expensive way-
Gibson LP
Marshall Plexi
Vox Wah

affordable way-
LP
vox wah
tube marshall head w/ decent cab.
and a violin bow for good measure
Quote by danix4
well, first you gotta start with a vox wah pedal (thats what he used). Equip your Les Paul with gibson burstbuckers (thats what page used), and last but not least a good amp. Jimmy Page used marshalls most of the way through his zep career. I use a Marshall 100 Lead Mosfet. It's and 80s model (no longer made today), and it has some sick dirty awesome distortion, especially when you crank it. You can buy the heads for $400 give or take, then jsut buy a cheap marshall cab. if you have trouble locating the amp head search it up on craigslist or ebay. but if you want real page sound you should buy an old school marshall.

Gosh, what an informative post. Jimmy Page used Burstbuckers eh? That's a new one to me

I'm trying to work out if there's a part of that post that's true...

Anyway, there are cheaper versions of all guitar effects types, and 95% of people couldn't tell the difference between a Behringer and a Roger Mayer!
Bear in mind that quite a lot of effects you hear on recordings are part of the production, rather than the original guitar tone.

The main staples of JP's live tone in the golden days were a fuzzbox, a delay unit and a wah. Anything else is personal choice.