Hello UG,

So I am considering a MIJ Tokai LS90Q. I will not be able to try one out because of crap retailers which only offer Epiphones and Staggs. Basically I want to know is, are they (Tokai that is) as good as they say or should I just give in and buy some Epi LP Custom? What I need to know is how the build quility is from tokai's and how the stock hardware is and if the neck is the same as an epi lp custom. If you want to talk amps, I only need an amp for bedroom practise so I decided I'd also buy an Vox ad5.

Your help is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

edit: also considering something like a roland cube 15.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Gold Top
Vox VT30
Last edited by darkravers009 at Oct 28, 2009,
in my opinion, get the tokai. I'm not sure if I've tried that exact model, but any MIJ tokais I've tried which were at a similar price point destroyed any (non-MIJ) epis I've tried.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have played a LS85 MIJ Tokai , totaly owned my friends Epi , not sure if it was japan or korea though.
Talking about fapping to films!!
Originally posted by Vader, Darth
Jabba did this one time when we were watching Gremlins...

It found it...disturbing.

Gearidge:
Laney AOR 50 Head
Laney Cab
BC Rich Mockingbird
Line 6 Spider 3
Quote by Dave_Mc
in my opinion, get the tokai. I'm not sure if I've tried that exact model, but any MIJ tokais I've tried which were at a similar price point destroyed any (non-MIJ) epis I've tried.

So you are telling me to buy a guitar I have never played on before? I really like the way it looks, hows the neck?

edit:

you say destroyed, is it that good?
Vox VT30
Last edited by darkravers009 at Oct 28, 2009,
So, anything else I should look out for when buying one online, I'm buying her on e-bay (brand new) how can I tell if it's a fake for instance?
Vox VT30
You really should try any axe before you buy, one mans garbage is one man,s gold!!!!!
Quote by zorbozate
You really should try any axe before you buy, one mans garbage is one man,s gold!!!!!

yeah, I basically know. you see I have 2 choices, buy an epiphone (which I think plays ok but not the best) or buy a tokai(which is going to be imported from the uk) which I hear is a good guitar only I can't play the darn thing.
Vox VT30
Quote by darkravers009
So you are telling me to buy a guitar I have never played on before? I really like the way it looks, hows the neck?

edit:

Meaning, beat it hands down. So yeah that's good.
Quote by darkravers009

edit:

haha, sorry, yeah, that's just slang. I mean they're far better than the epiphones which aren't made in japan (or america, in the case of the really high-end epis).

it's up to you. obviously neck is a personal preference thing, if you truly hate the neck it doesn't matter how nice a guitar it is. But being objective, or at least as objective as possible, and assuming it's in good nick and not a fake (both of which it should be if it's brand new from a reputable dealer), the tokai is probably a far nicer guitar than an epiphone.

EDIT: have you got a link to where you're buying? I know i asked you this on the tokai forum, too
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 28, 2009,
Quote by darkravers009
yeah, I basically know. you see I have 2 choices, buy an epiphone (which I think plays ok but not the best) or buy a tokai(which is going to be imported from the uk) which I hear is a good guitar only I can't play the darn thing.
I agree with Dave_Mc, Tokai are excellent guitars, particularly the models that are made in Japan. Which can be said also about Ibanez MIJ models.

I have played quite a number of solid Epiphone guitars, but too many of them are poorly made and set-up. Therefore, I suggest going for a Tokai.

You also have, Cort, Burns, Vintage, Duesenberg, Washburn, TCEllis, Hagstrom, ESP Ltd, PRS, Parker, Yamaha, cheaper Gibsons, etc. Which all offer worthy contenders.
actually the last couple of epis i tried weren't bad. But the MIJ tokais are in a different league.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?