Im considering making or modding pedals for myself. I have zero expertise in electronics beside some soldering i did for my dad. How difficult is it?

It would mainly be overdrives etc that i would be interested in.
Don't do what I did and assume that making a pedal is simply soldering X component into Y PCB ring, you'll end up wasting a shit load of time and money.

Read up on it first, get a general understanding up how the different components work, how to solder them in, which components to solder onto the circuit board first, how to trouble shoot your circuit etc. etc.
Quote by britishsligean
well it can be easy if you buy a kit, otherwise it would be hard building one from scratch

Not really, you can use vero board so you dont need a PCB, and its cheaper than buying a kit. Its not hard to get all the parts you need and other than that, its basically the same.
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
Im considering making or modding pedals for myself. I have zero expertise in electronics beside some soldering i did for my dad. How difficult is it?

It would mainly be overdrives etc that i would be interested in.
Making/modding pedals, like OD or fuzz is the easiest of all the electronics projects. Really a good place to start. Not too many components, relatively simple signal path, and only 9v, so you won't hurt yourself, like you can with a tube amp.

There are plenty of good resources on the net for circuit ideas.
I suggest going here: The GB&C Central Hub
Scroll down the second post and click the link for the Pedal Building thread.
It's a great place to start.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Is it conceivable to be able to make something akin to a boutique pedal? I would be interested in doing it to achieve the tones i want because im a tone nut.
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
Is it conceivable to be able to make something akin to a boutique pedal? I would be interested in doing it to achieve the tones i want because im a tone nut.
For your first pedal or two ... Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Build something like an LPB or one of the silicon versions of the Fuzz Face.
Maybe even something like a Grace or Big Daddy.
But not more complicated than that.
Keep the parts count low and the circuits easy to understand.
Once you have completed a successful build or two, then move on to more complex circuits.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
The first thing I ever built electronics wise (minus passive guitar wiring) was an LPB-1, which was pretty easy to build. Its also a good start for mods because its such a simple circuit to begin with, plus its useful.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Last edited by wiliscool at Oct 27, 2009,
^

How did your 2 (or 3?) stage LPB turn out? Did you finish it?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I haven't even started it. Lack of funds (yes even for a $20 pedal ).

I'm still kinda working on the design. I'm thinking about doing a boost stage, an EQ, then another boost/distortion, another EQ, then maybe a passive level control.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
I started with a BYOC overdrive and it was very helpful. For something cheaper try generalguitargadgets.com.
it's not hard to get into. I have a modified computer power supply which i use with a little bread board at the moment. Look up schematics on the net and find out how they work. It's good to have a simulation program like LTSpice.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
i started with a silicon Fuzz face copy, and ive been building ever since, but i have a strong background in electronics =]
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
+1 on the LPB1 from GGG. I would consider my first build a learning experience. It may not be a pedal you want but it will make a nice gift for someone for Christmas!
Not meaning to thread jack but what books/ebooks/websites do you guys recomend for learning about the compenents and how to build pedals?
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
suprisingly, wikipedia is actually pretty damn good for a lot of electronics stuff. i used to use it a lot for quick lookups for class stuff. it does get a bit technical, and you do kinda have to know what to look for, but it really is like a brain extension.

if you want to just look at a few things (dont read past the first few sections, will be over your head) look up op-amps (then the link to op-amp circuits), passive filters, RC networks, and transistors. it will be information overload, but you will pick stuff up.

if you want books, well i can recomend you some of the text books i have that i find useful, but again it will probably be over your head to start. i think the best way to start getting a good understanding of electronics is a class. it can be as simple as a 9th grade tech-ed class where you do 3 weeks on circuits, but getting exposure in a controlled environment where you can ask a live person for help is awesome.

and yes, my 9th grade tech-ed class is why i am now an EE.
i did tech ed my freshmen year but missed out on the electronics module. there were i think 18 modules and we did somewhere between like 14-16. NOw i wish i would have alas To wikipedia i go
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Quote by TechnoLp
Not meaning to thread jack but what books/ebooks/websites do you guys recomend for learning about the compenents and how to build pedals?

a damn good start would be the pedal building thread and the links in it.