Page 1 of 3
What are some albums you love, that didn't get nearly as big as the band's breakthough/biggest hit/critical success etc, but were probably much better?

Mine would be:

Antics by Interpol, so much better than Turn On The Bright Lights

Revelations by Audioslave

Let It Be by The Replacements, absolutely kills Tim

Bleach by Nirvana, I personally thought it destroyed Nevermind and In Utero

Can't Love, Can't Hurt by Augustana

Blackwater Park by Opeth

Humbug by Arctic Monkeys

Alchemy Index by Thrice

Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness by Smashing Pumpkins
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Quote by PotBellyShogun
Wish You Were Here by the Floyd. At least twice as good as DSotM.

Here here! The eponymous song was gorgeous, and just...as a whole, the album was beautiful
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Showbiz by Muse is better than Absolution, BHaR and the Resistance.

stratkat
****ing Jeff Buckley's Grace! The one song everyone knows turns out to be the worst track on the damn album
lolburger
I was under the impression that Let It Be was the 'Mats most popular and critically acclaimed album >.>
Quote by lp345
I was under the impression that Let It Be was the 'Mats most popular and critically acclaimed album >.>

I was too, but I guess Tim was higher reviewed, and Tim and Pleased To Meet Me sold better
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Alive or just Breathing by Killswitch Engage. They changed so much for the worse IMO
And The Silent Circus by Between The Buried and Me.
Call me the rap assassinator. Rhymes rugged and built like Schwarzenegger
Last edited by endless_fight1 at Oct 27, 2009,
Second Stage Turbine by Coheed and Cambria. Their first album and by far their best, but highly underrated.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by pwninator123
I was too, but I guess Tim was higher reviewed, and Tim and Pleased To Meet Me sold better

I could imagine them selling better since they went to a major label, but reviewed higher?O_o
Quote by lp345
I could imagine them selling better since they went to a major label, but reviewed higher?O_o

Tim was reviewed higher, Pleased To Meet Me was semi-panned
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Isn't Opeth's Blackwater Park considered their hit?
Anyways, I think Morningrise is their best album.

I always thought BP was, too. However, Morningrise is my least favorite Opeth album. If I remember correctly, Mikael even hates it.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Isn't Opeth's Blackwater Park considered their hit?
Anyways, I think Morningrise is their best album.

I think Ghost Reveries and My Arms, Your Hearse are a bit higher rated and selling, and Watershed sold rather well
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Fleetwood Mac's other albums are just as good as Rumours.
Questions of science
Science and progress
Do not speak as loud as my heart
Quote by Jlovesmetal
Fleetwood Mac's other albums are just as good as Rumours.

Have you heard the early Peter Green-era? Back when they were sweet-o Blues Hard Rock, and Led Zeppelin ripped them off, and Santana covered them?
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Quote by pwninator123
Have you heard the early Peter Green-era? Back when they were sweet-o Blues Hard Rock, and Led Zeppelin ripped them off, and Santana covered them?

I have heard a bit of it and what I did hear was pretty good, I think I may check out more soon. Although I was refferering to the current Fleetwood Mac lineup.
Questions of science
Science and progress
Do not speak as loud as my heart
Quote by Jlovesmetal
I have heard a bit of it and what I did hear was pretty good, I think I may check out more soon. Although I was refferering to the current Fleetwood Mac lineup.

I thought you would be, and props to Stevie Nicks! Landslide and Rhiannon are probably my favorite Fleetwood Mac songs
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Animals by Pink Floyd. I mean, The Wall and DSotM were their big hits (And ASFoS, simply because of its impact on Psychedelic Rock), but, Animals was amazing to me. Animals is what really got me into Pink Floyd.

Also, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's BRMC > Baby 81. Js.
"I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a PART of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect." - George Carlin
Mellon Collie is the Pumpkin's biggest seller. Siamese Dream for life.

Good call on Let It Be, one of my all time favorites.

Others:

Pink Floyd - Animals and Meddle > DSotM
The Streets - A Grand Don't Come for Free (just better than OPM as an album)
Mastodon - Remission (they've slowly gotten more boring/formulaic)
PJ Harvey - any of her earlier albums > newer stuff
Bjork - Homogenic (this one is really respected and sold well initally, but I think her newer stuff sells more)
Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted (they had more popular singles later, but nothing beats this album)
Boredoms - super ae (Vision Creation Newsun is great, but this was the first glorious transition from noise to psychedelic krautrock)
Liars - Drums Not Dead (their most experimental and still their best)
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Mellon Collie is the Pumpkin's biggest seller. Siamese Dream for life.

Good call on Let It Be, one of my all time favorites.

Others:

Pink Floyd - Animals and Meddle > DSotM
The Streets - A Grand Don't Come for Free (just better than OPM as an album)
Mastodon - Remission (they've slowly gotten more boring/formulaic)
PJ Harvey - any of her earlier albums > newer stuff
Bjork - Homogenic (this one is really respected and sold well initally, but I think her newer stuff sells more)
Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted (they had more popular singles later, but nothing beats this album)
Boredoms - super ae (Vision Creation Newsun is great, but this was the first glorious transition from noise to psychedelic krautrock)
Liars - Drums Not Dead (their most experimental and still their best)

Mellon Collie is considered a higher seller because it's a double album, so each sale is counted as 2, technically Siamese Dream is higher
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Quote by pwninator123
Mellon Collie is considered a higher seller because it's a double album, so each sale is counted as 2, technically Siamese Dream is higher

I'm not trying to get in a fight, maybe you have info I dont...

But Mellon Collie, even as a double album, sold 18.5 million records. I don't think SD sold even 9 million.
The White Stripes got big with White Blood Cells, but I think De Stijl is their best album.
Quote by the_jackyl
Every Faith No More album is better than The Real Thing (that's the one with "Epic")

I wouldn't say they're all better. I love The Real Thing, and I find that Epic is the worst song on that album (even though it's still great). However, their other great albums do get shafted. =[
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
I wouldn't say they're all better. I love The Real Thing, and I find that Epic is the worst song on that album (even though it's still great). However, their other great albums do get shafted. =[

*shrug* Opinions, opinions. I even like the Mosely stuff better. Honestly, Patton's vocals on RT bug the crap out of me. Angel Dust and King for a Day kick the sh*t out of it.
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
I'm not trying to get in a fight, maybe you have info I dont...

But Mellon Collie, even as a double album, sold 18.5 million records. I don't think SD sold even 9 million.

Wiki (which is a more credible source than people give credit for) has Siamese Dream at 10 million worldwide, and Mellon Collie (with the numbers halved) at 3,067,500
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Quote by the_jackyl
*shrug* Opinions, opinions. I even like the Mosely stuff better. Honestly, Patton's vocals on RT bug the crap out of me. Angel Dust and King for a Day kick the sh*t out of it.

Angel Dust is amazing. <3
Yeah his vocals on The Real Thing are sometimes a bit questionable. He was trying to be really experimental when the rest of the band were not. I've grown used to it and I adore that album, but I remember when I first heard Epic and their War Pigs cover, I was really confused. =P
Quote by pwninator123
I think Ghost Reveries and My Arms, Your Hearse are a bit higher rated and selling, and Watershed sold rather well

Still Blackwater Park is considered their 'breakthrough' album..
the melvins' bullhead....it was an album that defined a genre but everyone remembers Houdini instead
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
Youll eventually get raped, but I wouldnt mind a compliment on my penis, a penis compliment is the best kind of compliment.

Quote by moscaespañol
Nice sig by the way.
ride the lightning >> black album
wish you where here > dark side of the moon
i think sabotage is one of black sabbath's best albums.
Are you sure My Arms Your Hearse sold more than Blackwater Park? I was under the impression that it was one of their less popular records.

Anyway, Pixies - Bossanova > Doolittle in my opinion.
Page 1 of 3