I need a tubed combo amp, I want to downgrade from my huge stack. I'm in University, and I mostly record, having a huge 4x12 and head in my room is not at all convenient...

So anybody got any suggestions?
Guitar: Ibanez RG321MH with EMG 85/60
Amp: Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo
Musical styles: Progressive rock, thrash metal, post-hardcore.
Genres/Bands?
Gigging or not?
Nearest major city?
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
how much will your valveking for??? & will you be selling the cab with it?? How small yeh wanna go?? if yeh got a valveking now i take it you like it.. just get a valveking 112 combo.. it's 50 watts
The 112 will be just as loud as the 100w head.

For university I say get something that is both loud and has a headphone jack... the Vypyr Tube 60 sounds ideal.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Hmm. I'll look into the Vypyr 60. I am definitely in need of something smaller.

I'm in Thunder Bay, the only big city for awhile ... lol .

genre: progressive metal. lol. cleans and dirties.
Guitar: Ibanez RG321MH with EMG 85/60
Amp: Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo
Musical styles: Progressive rock, thrash metal, post-hardcore.
Vypyr 60?! Not! I've played the tube Vypyrs, and I owned a Vypyr 15 just for something to play quietly with and to check out the Vypyrs in general. I wasn't impressed with the tube Vypyrs, they don't sound that much different than the solid state vypyrs to me (nor do they 'feel' that much different). In fact, in a real world rehearsal session, after an hour and a half, all the amp models started to sound the same, and we weren't even practicing that loud. Even the tone deaf drummer agreed.

What about a Vox AC 15? That isn't going to get you your metal tones, but that's nothing your favorite distortion stomp box can't fix, and the cleans are THERE. Or, the Epiphone Blues Custom 30 is a very sweet sounding amp (again, no 'metal' dirty tones here, but use a stomp box, that'll fix it); but you're at 30 watts already, which is pretty loud.

If you could save some money, I would absolutely recommend a Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25 (as in - 5 or 25 watts). Those amps sound A-MA-ZING. Granted, I'm a Boogie guy so I'm kinda biased, but even my coworkers who range from Marshall, Orange, Vox, Rivera, Peavey, and Fender fanatics, were raving about those amps. There's a die hard Orange amp owner that I work with, and he was raving about how awesome the little Mesa Expresses sounded. Save up and get one of those.
Mesa/Boogie Roadster Head (custom finished)
Mesa 2 X 12 Rectifier cab (matches head)
Ibanez Prestige S 1625 Bubinga
MXR Carbon Copy
Boss NS 2
Boss TU 2
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
As Ludicris suggested, why not get an amp with really nice cleans like the ac15 or bugera v22 v 55 or somekinda fender and run a nice distoriton pedal through it to get metal tones?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Depends. for 600 dollars here are my favorites

for Clean, Blues and some rock: Blues Junior is the way to go. beautiful cleans but still has some grind.

For Blues and Classic Rock: Vox AC15. Amazing amp for blues and some classic rock, it really grinds when cranked

For Classic Rock to 80s Thrash: Laney AOR imo is unbeatable. amazing amps for the price. and IMO does JCM800 better than JCM800s to some extent. very unusable cleans. Mesa DC and caliber series are nice also

80s thrash and above: JC900 Combos are some of the best out there for metal stuff if you set them up right I also Loved mesa F series stuff
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
As a tube guy myself (though not necessarily a tube snob) I`m getting the Vypyr tube 120 with Sampera II for working coverband use. I`ve got my tube heads/combos/racks/pedals and while they offer great tones and flexibility, I`m tired of hauling a ton of stuff around all the time.

Get the Vypyr tube 60. It`ll do so many things and not be a pain to have around if your space is cramped. Sure you can go with a basic tube head of whatever make, but you`ll still need a cab as well as a wide variety of pedals and/or a very versatile rack preamp to get all the tones a Vypyr can get. Add the effects the Vypyrs have (albeit not nearly as adjustable as one would want), and you end up with a great sounding amp ...all in one package (well maybe add the Sampera II footcontroller).

[my gear]:

http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk130/jeffyspics/
Last edited by Jesman at Oct 28, 2009,
And to that, I don`t get (at least to my ears). They sound great for what they are ...better imo than any other modeling amp.

I`m not getting mine as to think it`s the best amp ever. I`m just getting it for convenience for when I don`t feel like lugging 300lbs of crap around, and then having to set it up, and run 20 cords to everything. Play 2 nights and then tear everything down, load out, load up the van, drive home, unload everything into the house. Repeat next weekend!?!

This amp setup? 1 combo amp, 1 footswitch controller. The power to the footswitch is even in the 1 cable (unlike my 2 MIDI switchers).

Genre? I play in a variety coverband in the NW. Everything from classic R&B/disco to rock, to 80`s dance and rock, to now more of the same. And no, I don`t care for the NuMetal sound/playing. I`m an 80s rock player basically with tastes that go back to The Beatles.

[my gear]:

Personally, I'd get a Line 6 Spider Valve Mk1 used for like $300-350, and get the SVPre mod, $150, and buy a foot controller, $150. Wayyyy better than the Vypyr Tube IMO.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
Personally, I'd get a Line 6 Spider Valve Mk1 used for like $300-350, and get the SVPre mod, $150, and buy a foot controller, $150. Wayyyy better than the Vypyr Tube IMO.

And I've heard the opposite just as much, if not more, so I say check them both out if you can, OP.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
go used, eyes on local Craigslist. you can almost always find an awesome deal there. maybe eyes out for a Fender HRD, or a Super(?) Champ XD
Quote by Raijouta
The 112 will be just as loud as the 100w head.

Through a 1x12 cabinet. Kinda
Quote by Raijouta
And I've heard the opposite just as much, if not more, so I say check them both out if you can, OP.

I guess that's the subjective nature of guitar tone showing, but when I played through a Tube Vypyr for like half an hour, I thought it sounded little better than my friends Vypyr 15. My other friend has a SV with the SVPre mod, and it's really nice. Great blues, clean, and hard rock tones. The metal tones are pretty nice, but not quite as tight as I like 'em. I think, had he gotten the Yellow or Orange mod rather than the normal one, it would have been insane for metal. No pun intended.

EDIT: But TS, definitely try both out, in addition to Bugeras. Look used on craigslist for a Mesa/Boogie DC-3 also. Those are really underrated, methinks.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Last edited by ibz_bucket at Oct 28, 2009,
Quote by ibz_bucket
I guess that's the subjective nature of guitar tone showing, but when I played through a Tube Vypyr for like half an hour, I thought it sounded little better than my friends Vypyr 15. My other friend has a SV with the SVPre mod, and it's really nice. Great blues, clean, and hard rock tones. The metal tones are pretty nice, but not quite as tight as I like 'em. I think, had he gotten the Yellow or Orange mod rather than the normal one, it would have been insane for metal. No pun intended.

EDIT: But TS, definitely try both out, in addition to Bugeras. Look used on craigslist for a Mesa/Boogie DC-3 also. Those are really underrated, methinks.

The push modes are merely a matter of making adjustments on the SVPre itself.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
And to reply I must say that you are right. Here`s my final words on the Vypyr tube 120 (and it`s the most expensive one in the bunch!):

Well I had the 2x12 combo amp for about a week, set up a few patches I thought would work for live use and the next weekend I used it at the gig.
The soundman hated it, a friend said it sounds like shit. I didn`t think it totally sounded like shit but I wasn`t happy with it in a number of ways.
Single notes sounded thin and plicky, not full fat and round. I had to crank the bass up and it still wasn`t enough, and that`s even connecting a Marshall 4x12 cab with it. The highs I had to turn all the way down and still they were too much. Kinda just a wash of too much high end. Basically the EQ on the amp sucks, none of the controls acts like a real amps tone controls. They spin and you see the lights move, but not much in real world control with satisfying results. And a big one: I just couldn`t hear it at more reasonable live sound levels that I use (and I like my amp a bit on the loud side!). It didn`t have any, I dunno, any punch. I had to finally say 'fuggit' and just crank it reaaally loud to hear it better. And then of course it was too loud as you couldn`t hear vocals through the monitors well enough.

Effects are not very good and I really just use chorus, reverb and for solos- a touch of delay. And for the effects, they just don`t have anywhere near the parameter adjustments that I need or want. On top of that, on Saturday night (on stage) I went for a patch change and it locked up on me. I had to turn the thing off and then on again.
That kind of crap just cannot happen!

I made up my mind for sure then and packed it up early the following week, shipped it back ($85 for the amp!- $19 for the foot controller) and am waiting to get my credit card reimbursed as well as for the 3 year extended warranty I paid for both, about $100.

I then ordered and received the Digitech GSP-1101 with their Control II footcontroller. This thing while not perfect in all respects (I think some of the high gain patches have a mushy attack, as well as some of the clean patches - I hate that. Maybe it`s the compressor or in it`s settings)- but it is a MUCH better and powerful processor with mucho control and use options. I`m really digging it, and the footcontroller took a que from custom Bradshaw units, as it is killer. And it doesn`t look gimmicky or cheap, like a toy for kids. This thing is handsome, heavy duty, yet very functional for the pro or semi pro. It has high quality MXR style buttons, a very large and easy to read window for your patches as well as a red light next to every button if it`s on or active.

In my opinion even the most expensive Vypyr is reserved for bedroom use/practice (but I wanted it for live stage use). Live and learn I guess.

[my gear]:

Last edited by Jesman at Dec 7, 2009,